Oct 14, 2004
ok im getting really mad cause i cant figure out which is which.. people told me on this site that chest protectors/ roost deflectors are the same but are called roost deflectors because of legalities.. now I go to a different forum and their saying like " get a chest protector because it has better protection than roost deflectors because its meant for the impact while a roost deflector is not"... So can someone who is 100% positive they are right clear this up for me? Im sorry i post a lot of threads its just im a beginner trying to get familiar with everything... Also does anyone have experience with a Thor Quadrant under-jersey chest protector/roost guard? and how much protection does it give (just meant for 'roost' or will it help for crashes) because the acerbis doesnt have my size and i dont like any others really.....Once again sorry to be annoying, but thanx to all who help! -

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
Some people say the over the jeresy protecter is a "chest protecter" and the under the jeresy one is a "roost deflecter" The over the jeresy ones IMHO do more to protect you sence they are made of a solid plastic and foam. where as the under jeresy style is cloth and foam.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Some people refer to the ones that only cover the front as roost deflectors while they refer to the ones that have a front and back as chest protectors. Truth is, as was told to us by Will Pattison hisself, they can't legally call them chest protectors because any damage that you subsequently incur to your chest might result in them being liable. They *can* prove that they deflect roost, but can't accept the responsibility for officially providing "protection".

The Acerbis Zoom comes in multiple sizes (from one that fits my 6 year old to one that fits my fat self).

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Its all semantics my friend. All we are doing is playing with words. They both do the same thing..."Roost Deflector"..."Chest Protector" they are all marketing names anyway. They both help take some impact of a rock or gravel hitting your skin. Full stop. Under or over the jersey is up to the individual. What feels better...even what they think looks better. Kav is right in that the external ones worn over the jersey are generally made from a tough plastic and foam. They are of a more solid construction than a under the jersey type. You just got to make a choice....and as long as you get the one you want then its the right choice....bugger what everyone else says.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I call them trucks. Pick up is merely the adjective describing what kind of truck it is. This all came to me while eating a crunchy peanut butter sammich.

:p

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
gwcrim said:
I call them trucks. Pick up is merely the adjective describing what kind of truck it is. This all came to me while eating a crunchy peanut butter sammich.

:p

would that be during Supper or Dinner?

:think:

Oct 14, 2004
ok that helps.... but than again, the acerbis boomer evolution (i think) is called a roost deflector when it is worn outside the jersey.. do u mean the companies call everything roost deflector while among the riders well say abover the jersey is chest protector and under is roost deflector???? hmm so that means the quandrant i wanna get wont give as much protection, o well i still want that one.. thanx for the help -

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Go to a place that carry’s a bunch of brands and try them on, you will be able to tell the more protective from the least protective. While there, make sure that you feel comfortable wearing it as some are slightly constrictive. Oh and a roost deflector (form a guy that was around when the name was coined) is a front only shield but certainly applies to the under jersey foam thingys.

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
Probably the best thing for you to do is to go to the bike shop and compare the under the jersey roost deflector with the hard shell over the jersey chest protector. Do this, and you'll understand the differance. IMO, the under the jersey is nothing more than a "roost deflector", I can't see how it could possibly offer any more protection than that. The hard shell over the jersey (front and back protection) is more of a "chest protector".

cjmx

May 13, 2004
shnalln said:
IMO, the under the jersey is nothing more than a "roost deflector", I can't see how it could possibly offer any more protection than that. The hard shell over the jersey (front and back protection) is more of a "chest protector".

I agree completely

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Wow I can't wait until the discussion of "which type of oil" starts :laugh:

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
Patman said:
Wow I can't wait until the discussion of "which type of oil" starts :laugh:

Greenmachine44, don't let Patman bother ya, if you look back through his posts you'll find that the majority of 'em are all smart *** remarks anyhow :debil: Right Pat?
Really though, I've seen Patman give really good advice, but like I said, he just can't help that he's a smart *** :laugh:

taraker

Freedom Ain't Free
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
shnalln said:
Greenmachine44, don't let Patman bother ya, if you look back through his posts you'll find that the majority of 'em are all smart *** remarks anyhow :debil: Right Pat?
Really though, I've seen Patman give really good advice, but like I said, he just can't help that he's a smart *** :laugh:

Jeez, what a suck up.

Hey Patty looky here, got yerself another groupie. By the way. How's Natalie?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Yup I am a natural Mister Smartypants, as to how much I "bother" folks might depend on how overly serious they may or may not take themself. Remember dirt bikes are supposed to be fun and if you already broke your funny bone this might not be a good sport to persue.

Ever think about 2 roost guards? One forward and one backwards? Then there is always the whole arm or no arm protection delema, oh and hard shell vs. foam, and clear vs. chrome!

Can never have too many groupies tarpaper, remember that if you ever get ONE. Natalie has been keeping her wide blonde chassis more to the side of the road so we haven't had any close encounters recently. Might also be because they are riding around in their bus too.

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
WOW...suck up? I knew that would get a response, but I didn't think that I'd get called a suck up! :rotfl: Are anyones feathers ruffled? Probably not...at least not too bad anyhow. :debil: I'm not too sure about you guys, but I know my funny bone still works. :laugh: Are you guys sure you're OK? :yikes:
I know, I know, it's that whole server space and search tab deal, so I'll cut it out. As long as you guys are SURE your ok.

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I am POSITIVE that Tarpaper is not OK but that's why I love him :laugh:

Top Bottom