Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Found a scorpion walking thru the bedroom a few minutes ago... yup, one of those light colored, "hurts like hell when they sting you", but "don't kill ya" ones. Found out where he came in thru, plugged it. I also have a damn gofer in the yard I need to "be rid of"... I forgot what "wildlife" is like apparently.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Might want to setup a dusting for scorpions Okie. Usually where there is one there is many. The females carry the tiny little babies on their back so if ya' smash them on the carpet often the little ones get away. Get stung once or twice and it's not so bad the next time :confused:

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Unpack your guns and start having fun with that gopher. That's the nice thing about living in the country, you get to use your artilery. :)

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
gitcha a coupla big ole porch hounds who kin dig up that gofer and tear him a new one. Then you can use all the holes as practice bunkers for your golf game :)

Actually, I like Chuck's idea better. One of the main advantages to living in OK.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
You gotta' get one of those mountain lions to come down and grab that gopher. Then a Bengal Tiger to come in and spook that mountain lion away. An elephant is good to get rid of the tiger....then I guess you have to make the jump straight to a T-Rex to remove the elephant.

Actually, if you could just teach the gophers to eat scorpions, you'd be in good shape!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Use Seven granules on the yard.  Start using a seed spreader and circle the house moving outwards each time around.  About 10 pounds worth and that will get rid of the pesky scorpions.  Next use an insecticide specifically for grub worms on the lawn.  This will take several applications but will thin out the food supply for the gophers and the moles. 
If that doesn't do the trick, use a .40 caliber on the gofers and ALWAYS check your shoes before putting them on your feet (most common way to get stung).
Welcome back to the Jungle.;)

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
I'd take a pesky gopher and a few scorpions over perverted squirrels and loud neighbors any day. :confused:

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Ah I love New England. Never again will I complain about the cold, I'd rather freeze than get stung by a scorpion any day.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I had a problem with pesky gophers 2 or 3 years back. The people who rented my home didn't water the lawn, creating a nice (dry) evironment for a gopher kingdom.

After I moved back in, I taped a garden hose to the DS80 exhaust, put the other end in the hole and ran the bike for an hour. No more gophers. :thumb: This was after many other futile attempts (traps, poison).

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
How am I supposed to tell if it's a gopher or a mole? Does it even matter as related to killing the bastages?

The guy that bought this place new in 99 did NO yard work at all... no watering which also makes a nice home for sand burrs. I'm going to check into getting a sprinkler system, no idea what that would cost, but how else do ya water an acre?

Thanks to the burrs I had to get a damn bagger, I'm told "cutting" and bagging the yard every 4-5 days will help get rid of the burrs as well.

Thanks for the advice!

Uhhh... I think I'd rather take my chances on getting stung than endure another northern winter... thanks!

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
Okie, next spring spray your yard with a weed killer that contains either MSMA or DSMA, kills the sand burs very well. they are often marketed as Sand Bur killer.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
OKKX'er knows all about harming flora...I could tell ya about the damage I saw him do in the woods at Cooperland, but I couldn't keep up long enough to see much of it!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by Truespode

It's a 2 step program...

1) Invite Gomer
2) Provide Beer

Ivan

I'll help too!

Neil Wig

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 22, 2000
Okie, a gopher makes a mound to stand on, with a hole accessing it. A mole pushes dirt up through a hole, making loose mounds without a open hole to access it.

Also, you will see a gopher, you will never see a mole.

Canadian Gopher Trap, just wink at 'em

Attachments

• elliot1[1].jpg
    elliot1[1].jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 41

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by Okiewan
but how else do ya water an acre?
It's called "rain" :laugh: