Okay, okay, okay. Another O-ring question!

xTYBALTx

Mar 10, 2004
In the search for the perfect O-ring chain lubricant, I've tried a couple different products so far: Bel-Ray chain wax (whoooops!), and PJ-1 chain lube. As Jaybird has mentioned elsewhere, the wax completely mucks up the chain and quickly becomes "anti-lubricant," and gave me a big pain in the rear as I had to clean the chain several times to get all that gunk, and it IS gunk, off my precious chain.

The PJ-1, while not as bad, does gunk up the chain. Of course, I'm riding in some heavy mud this spring, but my chain gets gunked more than anything else on the bike.

If I use ONLY WD-40, the chain does not get gunked. But WD, of course, doesn't really lube the chain.

Is there a lubricant out there, teflon based or otherwise, that wouldn't attract so much dirt and hold it with magical magnetic force to the chain? I've heard something about Honda's chain lube being like this, but don't have a Honda dealer anywhere near me.

Signed,

Gunky in Garnersville

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
The thick foamy stuff, Honda, Bel-Ray, Motul, etc. gunks up the chain.
The thinner stuff like Silkolene, WD 40, Prestone, etc. has the tendency to displace the lubricants in a "0" ring chain. Pick your poison.
I am probably in a minority that has had crappy luck with "o" ring chains. I just by the regular ones and change them when they stretch or wad up.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I just use the lube they put in the chain. I scrub the chain all shinny. Then just spray pure silicone on it to keep the rust & dirt off it. Seems to work fine. My O-ring holds up fine. The chain is never rusty and you need sun glasses to look at it!

Dewster

Feb 4, 2002
I use the BelRay stuff and it does gunk up. But... when I get back from riding and I'm cleaning my bike, I spray SimpleGreen all over my bike but especially the chain. This breaks down the lubricant which in turn breaks down the gunk. I let it set for about 10 minutes then I start the bike and run it in 1st or 2nd gear on the stand while pressure washing the chain as it spins. When I'm done I allow the bike to run with the tire spinning for a few minutes to dry out the chain then I relube it and stick the bike in the shed. :cool:

xTYBALTx

Mar 10, 2004
I'm seriously considering just using WD on the chain and replacing chain + sprockets more frequently. Primary Drive chain + sprocket sets are pretty cheap to replace.

Top Bottom