ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
I'm looking for a "ride" for my fiance.
She's never been the motorcycle-type but I've tried to get her to look at small bikes like a xr100 or something mellow and similar. However, She's made it quite clear not the least bit interested in a "bike" at all. She wants a four-wheeler. :blah: However the only quads that I have any knowledge about are the race quads. If it were up to me, she'd be getting an older trx250r but thats WAY too much for her. She wants something in her words where she can "push the gas and go" But I told her unless she wants a huge utility quad thats not likely. I was thinking of maybe a 300ex but still not sure if she'll like it really because of the clutching involved. I just dont know what to even look for except for a utility quad or kids quad. I doubt she'd have much fun on an lt80 but is there anything out there thats meduim sized with an auto cluch? I dont care if she has to shift gears but an auto clutch would be the safest way to go.

Any ideas appreciated. :ride:

Ryan12833

Mar 4, 2006
why dont you look at at polaris traiboss 330. Gas and go. I love mine. Its got power and you can go slow. It is also very comfortable. Or the trailboss 325 which is an older version.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Why do you say a trx250r is way too much for her?

I just went through a similar situation with my wife. We have a Yamaha 125 "Breeze" quad that was "automatic" in that it had a centrifugal clutch and a variable speed belt drive. It was definatly lacking on speed but mostly it lacked suspension.

My wife wanted something better and we looked around a lot but it always came back to suspension. She finally agreed to learn how to use the clutch! So I bought a Honda 400ex and used it last weekend.

I would say that the bigger engine (400 vs 250 or 300) helps out a lot with the clutch work (not as easy to stall). Bigger engine is also more forgiving when lugging it up hills and such. The bigger quad has better suspension which is also more forgiving of mistakes.

If I were buying for a kid I would be worried about having too much engine than they can handle, but that is because a typical kid doesn't understand that they are not imortal and may consider that the throttle has an "On" or "Off" position. If your fiance understands that you don't have to go wide open throttle all the time then I wouldn't worry about the engine size being "too much". In fact, while an experienced rider can work the transmission, down shifting as necessary to get up the hill your fiance might not be so skilled and thus the bigger engine will make up for a lot.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
rmc_olderthandirt said:
Why do you say a trx250r is way too much for her?
I would say that the bigger engine (400 vs 250 or 300) helps out a lot with the clutch work (not as easy to stall). Bigger engine is also more forgiving when lugging it up hills and such. The bigger quad has better suspension which is also more forgiving of mistakes.

I'm refering to the 1986-1989 trx250r quads. They're 2-strokes and one of the most saught after race quads to this day. I think the turn out would be about the same if she got on my YZ! She'd never ride again!
If your thinking of the trx 250ex which is the more modern thumper, that would be more to her liking because of the mellow power output and light frame chassis.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
Why don't you take a look at the Polaris Scrambler 500? My bf's brother has one, and I ride it from time to time. You can definitly put on it, you can jump it, you can run the crap out of it and slide it around in the corners, but you can also use 4WD and reverse, something not too many qauds have. It looks sporty, has a straight axle in the back, with MUCH more ground clearence then a 450r, I say this becuase I have been riding with 450rs, 400exs, kfx400s, and raptor350s, and it seemed I was the only one left out of the conversation when they were coplaining about bottoming out on the ruts and rocks. Maybe not as plush or quite as fast as a 450, but you can launch it, and like I said before, the optional 4WD really comes in handy, when youre climbing over fallen tress, or push starting a Blaster, you can't really lose. Did I mention that they're pretty???

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
pyrofreak said:
Why don't you take a look at the Polaris Scrambler 500? My bf's brother has one, and I ride it from time to time. You can definitly put on it, you can jump it, you can run the crap out of it and slide it around in the corners, but you can also use 4WD and reverse, something not too many qauds have. It looks sporty, has a straight axle in the back, with MUCH more ground clearence then a 450r, I say this becuase I have been riding with 450rs, 400exs, kfx400s, and raptor350s, and it seemed I was the only one left out of the conversation when they were coplaining about bottoming out on the ruts and rocks. Maybe not as plush or quite as fast as a 450, but you can launch it, and like I said before, the optional 4WD really comes in handy, when youre climbing over fallen tress, or push starting a Blaster, you can't really lose. Did I mention that they're pretty???

I was looking at the trailboss 330,350's last night and for what she wwants, I think that polaris is probably the best way to go. I had seen a Scrambler 500 a while back and that was a nice quad. Just like you said, it's pretty sporty and has the 4wd and reverse as well. I think that will suit here perfect. Question is, is it an auto clutch? :think: I'll definately check it out. Thanks for your help guys. I'll let you knwo what we decide.

Ryan12833

Mar 4, 2006
yes, it is push and go like all polairs models except for the predator. I would check out the scramblers 400 and 500 and if you want 2 wheel drive go trailboss.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
Ryan12833 said:
yes, it is push and go like all polairs models except for the predator. I would check out the scramblers 400 and 500 and if you want 2 wheel drive go trailboss.

Cool, thanks man!

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
If you are looking used don't rule out the 2 stoke Polaris Trailblazer 250. Still fully auto (cv-clutches like a snowmobile). The 250 engine is rock solid reliable, and is much faster / peppier than the 325/330/335 (all the same motor, they just like to change the names).

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
adam728 said:
If you are looking used don't rule out the 2 stoke Polaris Trailblazer 250. Still fully auto (cv-clutches like a snowmobile). The 250 engine is rock solid reliable, and is much faster / peppier than the 325/330/335 (all the same motor, they just like to change the names).

Yes i'm going to be buying used... Good info. I'll check it out.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
I think I the trailblazer 250 is probably the best one for her out of these so far. It'll be a few months before I actually buy so this will give me some time to shop around for a nice used one.

One question about the trailblazer; does the 400 also come with the autoclutch? Thanks.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Basically every Polaris has the cv-clutch setup. Some only have F-N-R, some have high and low.

I believe only the Predator, the new Outlaw, and some of the old diesel's have a manual trans. Yes, Polaris made a diesel quad. From what I have heard it was slow, sounded like a cement mixer full of boulders, ran for years on a tank of fuel, and was unstoppable (till the belt fried). I never got to ride one though.

May 4, 2006
man, whoever you are that advised a Polaris Scrambler 500 for a girl, man, you just don't realize how bad women are on off-road vehicles, my wife drove my buddys CRF 50 into his house, she said she didn't think it would be that powerful, and okay I will admit she had never been on a motorcycle before, but women are stupid. they need something heavy and slow, that can't pop wheelies or go fast enough to flip over around a corner, get her something like a Kawasaki Prairie 360, it's an automatic and it is so slow, I bet the top speed of mine is only 40 mph, I wouldn't have a piece of crap like that but I got it for practically nothing, I just took over payments when it was almost paid for. On the plus side its 4WD and it will go through anything and has lots of low end, but it is really safe, my wife drives it all the time, and she is a certain disaster on anything that has two wheels and is motorized.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
heinousberzerker said:
man, whoever you are that advised a Polaris Scrambler 500 for a girl, man, you just don't realize how bad women are on off-road vehicles, my wife drove my buddys CRF 50 into his house, she said she didn't think it would be that powerful, and okay I will admit she had never been on a motorcycle before, but women are stupid. they need something heavy and slow, that can't pop wheelies or go fast enough to flip over around a corner, get her something like a Kawasaki Prairie 360, it's an automatic and it is so slow, I bet the top speed of mine is only 40 mph, I wouldn't have a piece of crap like that but I got it for practically nothing, I just took over payments when it was almost paid for. On the plus side its 4WD and it will go through anything and has lots of low end, but it is really safe, my wife drives it all the time, and she is a certain disaster on anything that has two wheels and is motorized.

Just because your woman can't ride doesn't mean women in general can't ride. I used to ride with a girl that had a 400EX and another with a YFZ450. Both can ride pretty damn good if you ask me. Then there's girls like Sarah Whitmore, but I am sure she can't rip on a 125 because she's a girl. :coocoo:

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
Um.... yeah. Guess what if my BOYFREINDS brother has one, that means that I am a GIRL. I ride his Scrambler alot lately, since my boyfriend broke MY bike. I jump and ride harder more often then either one of them do, and don't talk about women being stupid and not having the capaticy to ride. Sunday I was pushing starting mirco-sprints at the track with it, and if I can be trusted to push-start a vehicle that expensive, then I can be trusted to not run in a HOUSE!!!

Top Bottom