singletracker500

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
What do you think about having a poll in the Dirtweek '01 forum to find out how many ride trails, and how many ride track? I'm kind of curious to know if I'll be riding the trails by myself!!

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
ST,
The trail riders outnumbered the track riders almost 2:1 last year. What was fun was cross-training everyone. :p Me, I stayed out of the woods for the competitions but it was also great seeing the woods riders faces when they got out on a grromed track. Smiles a mile wide! :)

singletracker500

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
I've been on a track slo'mo...hated it! I feel like I'm chasing my tail, going around and around in circles. If I wanted smooth, I'd buy a Harley and ride back and forth to Flaggstaff! :D

Last edited:

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
but don't forget....

Fredette laid out the woods trails last year. That alone makes it worth the trip for those of you who love dancing with trees. :)

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Originally posted by singletracker500
I've been on a track slo'mo...hated it! I feel like I'm chasing my tail, going around and around in circles. If I wanted smooth, I'd buy a Harley and ride back and forth to Flaggstaff! :D

I can show you round and rounds that are anything but smooth. :)

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Re: but don't forget....

Fredette laid out the woods trails last year...
:think
He wasn't the only one... and it's a good thing you didn't have to ride the original layout. :p

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Sorry, missed this post somehow...
Yup, woods riders out numbered MXers big time, probably will again. 'mo is right, they had a blast racing in the "bikes with lights" mx class, the start was pretty funny :scream:

I'll put the poll up.

Oh and yes, WoodsRider, Offroadr and Fredette laid-out the harescramble course. Rumor has it, these two just kept saying, "no way Jeff".

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I might have to pass on the creek crossing. History has proved that it's not my strongest riding technique! :eek:

B

biglou

It's a trap!!:D Sounds like an ambush to me! Seriously, there was definitely a deep "line" and a shallow "line" at one crossing (the first one headed in, I think). There was no visual difference between them. Trial and error. It only takes one time to pick the wrong line! Best advice-Sit and watch the carnage until you can see where the shallow line is!:p

singletracker500

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
Originally posted by Truespode
The woods in Casey are GREAT. They are some of the best trails I have ridden.

Challenging hills. Single track. Open. Creek crossing. Wonderful.

The woods guys will have a blast.

The only thing was that the trails criss crossed and weren't marked all too well but I'm positive that Offroadr and crew have taken care of that.

The track is awesome too. Lots of fun and great dirt.

Sounds great!! I can't wait. But I think I will be watching others cross the water before I try it. Haven't had to do too many water crossings since I moved to AZ.:eek:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
ST500 - The nighttime poker runs will be worth the price of admission alone. There really aren't a ton of trails and nothing really challenging, but in the dark - The most fun I have ever had! A great chance to see a few MX'ers with flashlights taped to helmets, fenders etc :)

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
You sure you remember being there Eddie?
My thoughts exactly.

There are quite a few trails at Casey and most of it was still arrowed from previous races. They were also "quad wide" because Casey runs (or ran) quad classes in their hare scramble series. All the tight stuff in the team scramble had been cut by Fredette, Offroadr and myself.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Ah, what the heck! I'll cross the creek. If nothing else, it will be entertaining!:confused:
I'll also be one of the flashlight crew! :) The light that belongs on my XL is somewhere in the local landfill:( (thanks dad).
'Course I've been out of his house for quite some time. . .but whoda thunk he'd actually clean something out?!:silly:

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
The trails last year where very smooth and not too technical. The only semi-techinical part was the "expert" line up the hill to the GP track. Of course I bounced off a sapling and high-sided and rolled down the hill, :eek: but it was still easy.

Dirtweek is about the only time of the year we get to ride on real dirt. At Turkey Bay (where we mostly ride) it is solid rock: gravel, little rock, big rock, hard rock, loose rock, and then throw in some roots between those rocks. Not to mention ZERO single track.:(

That means we should fly throught the harescramble and win! YA RIGHT!;)

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Hmmm - You guys realize that I am used to having at least 80 miles of trails to ride right? Probably the smallest place I have been to more than once in the last year was at least 2500 acres - all trails! Lake Draper had at the very least 80 miles and it is dwarfed by most of the places we ride out here - Gorman, Kennedy Meadows, Jawbone etc. So YES Casey was pretty small as far as trails go - As far as the MX track goes - ya gotta remember you're talking to a TREE guy here :)

There are quite a few trails at Casey and most of it was still arrowed from previous races. They were also "quad wide" because Casey runs (or ran) quad classes in their hare scramble series. All the tight stuff in the team scramble had been cut by Fredette, Offroadr and myself.

So whats your point WoodsRider? - I never once said anything about the trails being marked or not - There really aren't very many trails if you are a californian used to having hundreds and hundreds of miles of trail at your disposal, and I certainly never said anything remotely stating that the trails were tight? Shoot, at draper you had to cut your bars down and still had to weave them in and out one end at a time while stopped. No, the TRAILS are certainly not tight or particularly difficult and there isn't a ton of them. They are great - don't get me wrong - but for those of us use to KM, Jawbone, Gorman - there just isn't a lot of them. And no big hills to speak of for that matter. I am hoping that you didn't get some bad second or third hand quotes that I never said!

Last edited:

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
I can understand your woes TTRGuy. Were we ride, we have over 2500 acres and between 100 and 150 miles of trails to choose from. I'm guessing that LTM has approx. 20 miles of trails, unless there are some that I didn't see.

Still can't complain about the location and the way LTM gives everyone a chance to ride their own favorite type of terrain.

I would love to have a Dirtweek here at Turkey Bay. You could be on your third day of riding and still be covering new trails. There's no motocross track though. I'm not sure too many people could handle 3-4 straight days of Turkey Bay anyway. It's very rough(on bikes and riders). Not a good place for beginners either.

Oh well, I can't wait for Dirtweek! It's comin'.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
6 months in Kaliforny

Do we need to check out the contents of his fanny pack for contraband? Wouldn't want to find granola bars in it.:p

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
So whats your point WoodsRider?

TTR - I was trying to describe the trail situation to ST500. Granted you now live where you can ride for days and never see the same trail. Unfortunatley Illinois does not have that same luxury unless you stick to corn and bean fields and enjoy dodging birdshot once in a while. :eek:

There really aren't a ton of trails and nothing really challenging...

Compared to California or Draper Lake, Casey does not have a ton of trails. However I do remember a few steep, loose, challenging hills. Granted, they were short compared to California hills, but not much bigger than Oklahoma mountains. :scream:

Top Bottom