oklahoma state championship-round four

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
saturday afternoon, we loaded up kendall's bike and my pit bike and headed to elk city, oklahoma for round four of the state motocross championships. it was our first time there. the track was all the way across the state, 265 miles from home. we camped in our enclosed trailer at the track saturday nite-the race was on sunday. the temperature was predicted to drop into the 20's but this time we were prepared. i brought the generator and space heater and plenty of gas (we ran out last time and nearly froze). i also brought a tent heater. we stayed nice and cozy, very comfortable. we woke up to ice on the bikes. practice started at 7:00 a.m. kendall was in the second practice. she ran about eight laps and was waved off. at sign-up the promoter had told us that there would be two full practices and maybe a third short practice. as the second set of practices started, we knew we had plenty of time and leisurely made our way to the gate. when we got there, there was a big line of 60's and 125's, both of whom were scheduled to practice after kendall. well, it turns out that they weren't having two full practices after all. they were one-lap practices and kendall's group had already finished. so much for asking pre-practice questions of the promoter. kendall's first moto came around about two hours later. the gate dropped and she pulled a huge wheelie. she didn't loop it out but veered right and crashed (i think i got a pic of it, will post later-not digitally equipped). another girl ran over her bike but didn't damage it. kendall managed to keep it running and jumped back on. she rode fairly well, caught and passed a few girls to finish sixth. the second moto, she was obviously thinking about her near loop out. as the gate dropped, she barely gave it any gas at all and nearly stalled. she was last to the first turn. she rode good again and passed a few girls and began to challenge the fourth place rider. she would gain on her in the jump sections but lose ground on the wide open areas. on the last lap, she got right up to the rear tire of the fourth place girl and tried to make a pass around the outside over a small double. she landed short, bounced into the soft stuff, lost the front end and crashed pretty hard. she got up quick and got going before anyone could catch her from behind. i don't know if it made her mad or if the adrenaline was flowing but the rest of the last lap was the fastest i've ever seen her ride. she was skying the jumps (by her standards) and riding very hard. it was fun and even a little scary to watch. i was proud of her for not giving up. she ended up with a 6/5 for fifth overall. the weather warmed up into the 60's and it turned out to be a great weekend. we really liked the track and plan to race there again next year.

and i'm so proud of her that i'm thinking about buying her a new bike. :cool:

motox757

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 14, 2001
Cool! Nice report....that must be nerve racking to watch a child of yours push it to the edge....and exhilarating at the same time! I haven’t experienced that as yet with Mason…

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Jay, Sounds like you guys had a good time. Tell Kendall great job for me! :thumb:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Yeah Jay, tell Kendall I said hi and Great Job! Keep the reports on her progress coming!

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
So she's still adjusting to the bigger bike, huh? Did you get it all dolled up for her. She needs to be riding in style. ;) I'm glad someone in your family is racing. :p

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
That's great Jay, tell her we said congradulations! :thumb:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Congrats Kendall! :cool:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by High Lord Gomer
Cool! Was that her first race in the women's class?

no, she's been running women's class for quite some time at the tracks that will let her. some tracks require them to be a certain age or bike size or have a certain amount of riders sign up before they will run the class. generally, there are only two or three girls riding in the local races. the state series allows girls of any age to race in the women's class, even if they are on peewees! this was her second race in the state championships. she got fifth in the first one also. fifth is probably about the best that she will do but it's good enough for me (as long as she puts out a real effort). the top three girls are very fast and can run with the boys. i keep trying to get blackhawk to come up here and race with them. maybe she's afraid of the okie girls. ;)

Top Bottom