ScottYZ250

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
Saturday:
Went out to Carnegie about 2:30pm to sign up. I only live 10 miles from the park, so it was no inconvenience at all. Wow, no lines... cool! After signups and paying my cash, I check out the grass track set up on the hill behind the MX track. I always like to see what I'm getting myself into. Looked pretty fun this year. After that I run into Floyd "dirtdoggie" Frederickson and talk with him and his son David for awhile. Neither are racing Sunday due to injury, but they come out anyway (dedication). After an hour I go look to see what else I can for tomorrow's ride and then go home to get prepped.

At home I go over the bike for loose anything, and find nothing. Then I drain the oil to change it and S.O.A.B., I have no clean oil and it's after 6pm. Dang! Finish prepping the bike (or so I think) and then decide I'll pick up oil at Skips tomorrow.

Sunday:
Wake up about 8am, race isn't till 1:30pm so I'm good. Get something to eat, then shower and load up the bike and riding gear. Use the restroom and I'm outa there. Fifteen minutes later I pull up to Skips and buy 3 things of oil. (For those of you that aren't familiar with NorCal, Carnegie is a state run OHVRA and Skips is a parts store/snack shop on sight.) Pull out of Skips and go back to the race entrance, pay $5 facility fee (rip-off, I have a season pass and I already paid my race admission), find a spot to park. Cool, still get to see the last half hour of the A/B race. Walk over and see how racing is supposed to be done. Those guys hall @$$. Congrats to Brian Sperle for 3rd overall.

After the A/B's, I go fill my bike with oil so I don't forget. Now I'm feeling good. Gear up and fire up the bike for a little warm up time. Two minutes later I'm back at my truck... oil the chain, check air psi in tires (I thought I prepped my bike yesterday). Finally the bike is ready for racing...

Pull up to the starting line and find out that Frank (Treefinder?) is next to me. He's a nice guy, I met him once before at his clubs enduro. Wait for my line to start. Try not to think of the knots in my stomach. Shotgun fires and I'm off. The MX track is slow due to all the bikes congested on it, which is fine because I don't jump more than 7 or 8 feet. Pull off the MX track heading into the grass track and find the first bottleneck. Wait my turn and I'm moving again. The grass track was fun. Drop back into the MX track and finish the lap, through the check station and fifth gear up the jeep trail into the hills. Half mile of easy riding, up an easy loose rocky hill, around a turn and then BRAKE! Found bottleneck number two. Wait my turn, hard right turn up a singletrack hill and back to moving again. Singletrack for a couple hundred yards, then uphill to open meadow rolling hills. Follow the trail... downhill, uphill, turn and repeat. Drop down a switch-back doubletrack trail to the MX area again, third gear wide for a hundred yards and then up a singletrack switchback to more rolling hills. Finally get into some singletrack around tree's and immediately hit a long, rutted, rocky uphill. Several stuck riders, but I'm familiar with the park, so I knew what was coming and got up ok. More singletrack, up... down... up. Finally on the trail that spits us back onto the MX track, WHOA!! Almost over the bars on the straight down drop off back to the track. Around the track (including the grass track again) and into the check station. Get zapped and go do it all over again.

Unfortunately I'm not all that fast, so I only did two laps. Most other C's did three laps (a couple did four, but not many). I had a blast. If I don't get hurt and don't get stuck too much, I have fun. This was my second year doing the Old Crow, and I had tons of fun. Thanks to the Red Neck Roosters for putting on the event. Frank, sorry to hear you didn't get very far (.4 mi). Next weekend I'll be at the Wild Piglet Family Enduro at ClearCreek. See you DRN riders there!

BigSchafft

Apr 20, 2000
Thought it was a great race, had a third kick start that actually worked to my advantage cause I could dodge all the downed riders getting runover in that first turn( hope noone was injured too seriously). Made all sorts of passing to get into top ten after passing my buddy kawi72 (until he changes his name on here to YZkid or something). Props to Scottyz250 for his detailed reenactment of the race (very accurate from what I recall). Finished 12th overall and had a great day on a fun course!!!
I was really impressed with the Roosters for having a document ready upon signup for all racers showing exactly what row is what for the starting lineup. My only complete was there were a few riders cutting the course in the grassy S section that may or may not have hindered my results, but heh, its carnegie and that is a tuff race to monitor. just like all the others. Keep up the good work on the RACES!!

Top Bottom