old gas

Mar 16, 2007
i did a search but didnt really find anything, why do you guys say not to use old gas? I have about 5 gallons of already mixed gas thats been siting there for maybe 5 months. If I add 5 more gallons of new mixed gas with the old stuff will it all be ok?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN

It really depends on the container that gas is stored in. If it's plastic, forget it. If it's a steel container that seals well, it might be safe to use.

But, since it's mixed, I wouldn't use it.

Find something else that you can use it in.

I usually will use my excess gas from a weekend of riding in my truck. But, I never take more gas than I think I'll be able to use in a weekend. I'd never mix 5 gallons at a time!! Thats wasting premix oil.

There are discussions on here about what happens to gas after it sits for long periods of time.. What I have read has to do with the gasoline losing the light hydrocarbons over time. And what I read, on here somewhere, was that the time that it takes for there to be a significant loss is pretty short.

psycho

King Rot-Gut
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2000
I use it in the lawn mower and haven't had too many issues. Smokes some and runs a little rough.. but hey! It's a lawn mower!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…