KChournos

Feb 3, 2004
So I'm 50years old, 5'5" tall, 140lbs, and have a 29" inseam.
I've been riding on an off since 1966. My first bike was a
Bridgestone Trail 90 (yup, two sprokets and all).

Every one I ride with gives me heck because I ride a "kids"
bike, a KX100, but it's the only thing that fits me really well.
I've ridden most everything, including YZs, CRs, etc., as long
as someone can help me get on and off them.

I've been trying to find something that I can safely lower
without destroying its suspension setup. Using a #3 Kouba
Link and droping the front fork tubes, I can get a KDX220 or
a KLX300 lowered enough that I can actually get my toes on
the ground, ~34.5 inches.

So, here goes, which bike would you choose? I obviously
don't mind riding 2-strokes, so this isn't an issue. Here in
Southern Idaho, we have top-notch desert and woods riding.
My KX does great in the desert, but can't handle serious
woods riding at all. I don't race anymore, but I do like to go
fast.

Fire away! I'm open to all suggestions.

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
I'm 5'7" 160, 30" inseam and have no problem with my kdx or kx. Provided your suspension/sag is correct I would think bike height would not be a problem for you....But some folks have lowered bikes with bones without destorying the suspension....good luck with it.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I'm 5'8" and ride a Gas Gas Pampera 280 - great for short folks, has a low seat height, has a large 280 cc two stroke trials engine. I got this bike because I wanted a 70's style low seat bike, something with fun factor like 'On Any Sunday' - So far, I am very happy with my purchase. The bike is light, under 200 pounds, and is easy to ride. For trails, gnarly off road, mountain track, this is the bike. All in all a great 3/4 enduro bike - not suspended for MX though.

KChournos

Feb 3, 2004
I appreciate the inputs so far.

The #3 link on a KLX300 will drop it 1.25" using the default factory sag. The same link
will drop a KDX220 2.25" with factory sag. I've ridden a KDX220 with this link and
while it's nice to have that low of a seat height, the rear is way to soft and bottoms
out a lot. A #2 link drops the KDX220 1.625" and is really the way to go. Balancing
the front fork is a challenge. No one wants to ride a "chopper" off road!

I've also looked at Gas Gas before but have always been nervous as the nearest
dealer is over 400 miles away. However, Dirt Rider has been giving them better and
better marks over the last couple of years. We do have a KTM dealer in town but
their bikes are as tall as most Yamaha models which I can't even begin to get on
without standing on something.

KChournos

Feb 3, 2004
So I took the plunge. I found a 2001 DRZ250 with 42 miles on it for $2500. Seemed
to good a deal to pass up. While it's by far the heaviest of the old style 4-stroke
250s, its seat height of 35" only needs to be dropped by 1" and I'm in business. I
sure hate adding the extra 100lbs over and above my current MX bike.

I'll be lowering it tonight, setting the sag, etc. If anyone is interested, I can post
updates on this whole process.

Mar 10, 2004
Funny how things go. I personally did just the opposite of what you did, and I couldn't be happier about it. :-)

I'm 5'8", 150lbs, and sold my KDX200 to get a KX100. I was certainly worried about the lack of low end, because I love to hillclimb and do nasty trails also.

But man, I love the bike so much. After just 1 ride I'm going faster than I ever went on any full size bike I owned (including an open class machine). This is no lie; I ride with a guy on a KX500 who is good, and by the end of the day I was pulling away from him. Not just on tight trails either; this was 4th-5th gear for me (probably 3rd for him). Bottom line; I was just going faster. Not because I'm so talented; simply because the machine fits me so well, and I can turn it like a wildman.

We did some hillclimbing and tight, difficult climbing trails also. Generally, you hafta ride the mule aggressively to avoid dropping completely off the pipe, but the 100 with it's power-valve has waaaay more mid than 80's of a decade ago.

One last thought; since the bike fits me so well, I actually think that if I ever just want more low end at any cost, I would find a used KDX200 and put the motor on my machine (custom fit it). I'm guessing it would only add about 10-15 pounds, and would have all the low you'd ever need!

My 2 cents.
Loving the KX100.
Gary

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
The ultimate girly bike - a KX100 with KDX220/200 motor :)

Top Bottom