rbt76

Aug 11, 2007
My buddy is going to be getting a bike and I was curious as to what your thoughts on bike selection for him are....

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
6'1'', 220lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Fairly aggressive...for an old guy

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
will ride at MX track on practice days but not race. Also desert trails and dunes

4) Do you have any riding experience?
Yes

5) Do you think you will race ?
No racing but will run at the MX track with friends

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Simple mantinance

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
4 stroke

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Everything

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
$4,000

10) Do you live in California?
no

11) Your age?

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
rbt76 said:
11) Your age?

30 years is considered "old" ??? I guess I don't want to know what you consider 51 to be then.....

If he is thinking in terms of being "old" then I would guess that he is not in the best of physical condition.

The dunes is one place where more power is better. Some people may enjoy the challenge of an underpowered bike in the dunes but most people would prefer more power. I am thinking a 450 four stroke for this.

Riding the MX track would dictate a decent suspension. The would rule out many of the "off road" models (such as the Yamaha TT line).

For trail rides it is always nice to have an easy starting bike, a kickstand, and even a headlight for some night rides.

A bike that brings all this together is the Yamaha WR450f.

It has a suspension that is identical to the MX bikes. The engine is very close to the MX bike, just detuned a slight bit. Still plenty of power, however. It has a kickstand so you can take a break whereever you want. It has a headlight for night rides.

It also has that "magic button" that out of shape old guys really like: push the button and the bike starts.

Rod

Sahinoz

Sep 2, 2007
Honda CRF450X, Yamaha WR450F, KTM 450 EXC, Husaberg FE450, Husqvarna TE510, Beta TT450, Kawasaki KX450F will be good for MX tracks and trails.

I know there is too much bike here, but the best for MX track in stock form is CRF I think, but WR is pretty good too. KTM 450 EXC feels very light and perfect for trails, not that much for MX track. You have to define your expectations in your mind, and then pick a color..

IMO, if MX track is not important, KTM EXC series will be perfect..

Top Bottom