Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
So I've been watching the new Ken Burns series "The War". Good stuff. Pretty much everyone in the world has someone that was there or at least touched by it. In my case, it was my Grandfather and 2 uncles.

Pardon me while I get a little melancholy ...

He was working for Kraft Foods at the time and was exempt from the draft, tried to enlist anyway, they told him no due to his job... so he quit and went back. That bit of Patriotism got him on a boat to D-Day. He did several months in France, then off to OCS for Officer Training, where he became a 1st Lt. Nice story, right? Not so much. During his time there, like most others, his sense of "normal" changed; ie.. sent a picture of a German Soldier's head sitting on a burned-out tank... to my Grandmother. The letters he wrote were at times gruesome, etc. Seriously, that's whacked. It's just what war does to people I suppose. My Grandfather didn't meet his first daughter (my mom) for three years... My Grandmother could only wake him with a broom handle for years... because he'd come-up swinging, we've all heard of stuff like this.

Getting to the point.

When you see that old guy or woman that's maybe holding up traffic, or moving to slow in the line at the grocery store, or whatever... stop and think for a minute.

They are the ones that put all this in place for you. They've seen and experienced SO much, done SO much, all of which has gotten you here. They too at one time where the young, vibrant couple with dreams of the future. That old man you see was getting heat at one time for the music he listened to, the "hotrod" he drove... Dad's hated him for going after their daughters, it's really no different than it's ever been.

Why this post. Besides the Series mentioned; 2 things.

1) My Grandfather died years ago, my Grandmother is 87. I went to visit her last weekend, as there can't be a lot more time to spend with her. My busy life has left her behind, even though she was a big part of my youth. I'll be visiting her a lot more often. Her stories are incredible and while the mind is tight, the body is giving up. When she goes, it will be the end of an Era in mine and many others lives. Got someone like that? You can't get that time back.

2) I was held up in traffic yesterday. Someone was having a hard time deciding rather to go left, right or straight.... so he just took up three lanes, weaving side to side... three lanes of my busy schedule. I was pissed! "Damn it. Pick a Lane and make a decision!"

As I got around, I saw that it was an "old man". First thought was, "shouldn't have a license". So I get home with my important self and watch the show (The War). Then I'm thinking, damn, that guy may very well have blitzed a jeep thru some crazy war situation back in the day... watched his friends die, maybe got injured himself and I'm bagging on him for 30 seconds of my precious time? That's just wrong.

I could write for hours, no one would read it... If I could just make one point. PLEASE take a second to respect the old folks. They deserve it. Just as you will ... sooner than you think.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Some of the worst drivers on the road. The ones with the jimmy houston wrap around fishing goggles and handicap plates,guess what,it will be us before you know it! Have fun with g-ma Okie!

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Stop it man………my keyboard’s gettin’ all wet! :(

My wife’s uncles……….seven brothers………all of them went (Normandy, Aleutian Islands, Philippines, etc.)………….all of them CAME HOME! Three of them are still living and are still young men, in spirit at least. They are all heroes in my book.

Don’t forget the young people who are once again fighting for our future. A large percentage of the populace does not know it, doesn’t understand, and probably never will. Too caught up in their own selfish ways I guess.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Good one Bob. It never hurts to put yourself in someone else's shoes and that was a great perspective.

My dad served in Korea and to this day he gets a bit more than startled when ever he hears a loud noise. Shell shock. I used to get pissed when I was younger but as I age I can appreciate what he did for our country. Too bad it takes my own aging to appreciate what those before us did. I'm just glad it wasn't worse for him.

Today he is returning from a General Macarthur Honor Guard reunion in Norfolk, VA. He was in the Guard for part of his tour and they all have a yearly reunion...and admit that they won't be having many more in the future. I enjoy reading the stories from the guys that write into the news letter that they publish. I can even more appreciate their efforts. I hang on to all of the stories because that perspective will be lost for ever soon. My dad is currently writing a book that includes all of the letters that he wrote home during the war. I have yet to see many of them and expect to have even more insight as to how bad--and good, at time-- it was.

bclark001

Sep 12, 2007
true true very true my theory is if no one was in a rush we all were to slow down then the world would actually be a better place!! When you get mad while driving I just turn on some good tunes and enjoy it because think about it how often do you actually have 10-15 to yourself ENJOY IT. but back to the point that is a very nice story and very true they bled for us and we say "LEARN TO DRIVE OLD MAN" not nice, not needed, and helps no-one only make you more of a hateful person.

Thanks for the story okie very nice.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
You all may have read this from me before, but I have to say "they were the greatest generation ever", (to steal a quote from someone else). This generation, which included my parents, lived through more than WWII, but the Great Depression as well. They worked hard, and understood the meaning of family. But most importantly, they understood what their patriotic duty was.....................

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I just visited with a "Nam" veteran this weekend. Although he doesn't tell any horrific stories, you can tell by looking into the widows of the soul, he saw some nasty action. He is the grandfather of the children that belong to the gal my friend married a few years ago. He takes the grandchildren on walks, carves walking sticks for said walks, and is a very kind and caring individual. The thing is, you can see, every now and then, that "thousand yard stare" where he just kind of goes back to "Nam" and re-lives something. Then, he just calls it a night and goes to bed. I often wonder how much time he spends staring at the ceiling at night.

He took my friend's '07 Cadillac to the store, bought gas for the dirt bikes, and didn't seal the can properly, somehow it tipped over in the trunk and now the car reeks of gas. Case in point? He's old. He made a mistake, he didn't mean to do it, so give a little bit. My friend is pissed off, but the rest of us are all telling him, open the trunk, let it air out, it will be fine.

That old man is a hero to me. Anyone that was on the receiving end of enemy fire is a hero to me. :(

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Okiewan said:
. . . I went to visit her last weekend, as there can't be a lot more time to spend with her. My busy life has left her behind, even though she was a big part of my youth. I'll be visiting her a lot more often. Her stories are incredible and while the mind is tight, the body is giving up. When she goes, it will be the end of an Era in mine and many others lives. Got someone like that? You can't get that time back.
amen brother. I'm down to one gramma left. She's 93 and still lives at home. You ain't ****tin' when you talk about the "busy life" leaving your grandparents behind. It did it to me when grampa died, and when my gramma and grampa on the other side died. They were all big parts of my early life, and now I do my darnedest to make gramma a part of my kids' lives.

In my earlier years of driving I used to get impatient with the old farts out there in their mighty land yachts. Nowadays, I've decided that maybe the've had it right all along. Take 'er slow and enjoy the ride.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Nice post, Bob.

However, as more and more generations come and people live longer there is going to be more of a negativity towards the elderly. We are all leaving behind the elderly and it is sad because they have brought so much to the world.

I was very close to my Grandmother and she lived well into her 80's. I looked at her life as a full and great one. However, at the same time I realize I never want to live that old. I never want to get reliant on anyone else for anything, including driving or buying groceries or anything.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
This hits home for me hard! I have both sets of Grandparents, yet 1 set lives 2 hours away and I see them maybe twice a year. All they want is for us to come and see them. The hardest part has been he is very sick all the time, and my grandma doesn't want the great grand kids around if the have been around other kids with colds.

My other set lives about 1 mile as the crow flies, and Grandpa drives by my house at least 4 times a day but never stops, even when I'm out and he see's me. He waves or honks but doesn't pull in. This set raised me and they kind of use guilt as their tool to get you to come over, when I do catch up they say we never see you, I never replay you just drove by 4 times. They are old and think Soccer is a game for the queer, so don't go to any of their great grandkids games which comsumes 5 days of my week, they will however drive 2 hours to watch a cousins softball. As farmers they understand how much time the farm takes.

My wifes Grandparents live next door, and I see him a lot. He comes over and gets our tractor and lawn tractor at least twice a week. But grandma has some serious dementia and grandpa has 1 satelite channel and it's a 24 hour religous channel and he's kinda starting to loose it!

All three men were in a war. My 2 grandpas had really bad experences, the first had it the worst, front lines in Korea and lost everyone he knew in the war, he's very bitter! 2nd spent it in a hospital bed, rolled a jeep in basic and spent 2 years in the hospital and recovery, and the third has some great stories of WWII in the Pacific.

It never really hit me until after 9/11, but I have a deep guilt for not serving my country, but instead I listened to their advice and stayed away. My life turned out ok, but I just feel I should have served! I will always be thankfull for those who have served!

B

biglou

Great post, bossman. :cool: All I got left is my pops, and I see him almost every single day. He's 72, and while he's still in great health and state of mind, I do my best to remind myself that while everything is great right now, it won't last forever and to make the absolute most of the time together.

Oh yeah, I do the same thing by cutting the old folk slack in traffic! :)

And speaking of, here we are from a couple months ago. I think he's shrinking, or I'm growing! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
you need to hook that man up with some moto-related gear, Lou. My gramma will at least wear her "Ichiro 51" jersey when the Mariners are on the tube!

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
Great post man. I was always really close with my grandparents when I was a kid. I spent most of my summers with them traveling across the state and riding my XR 80 over their 40 acre farm. I'm down to two (one from each side) and I'm still closest with my gramps. He's an engine whiz....the type of guy who will frankenstein parts from one tractor/car/bulldozer/skidder/etc to the next just to save 20 bucks. He's really good at it too! Only in the last few years have his war stories become a little less "cool" about tanks and equipment, to the absolute hell it was to be over there. This made up my mind, I'm going out to see him next weekend!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
A real eye opener. I also have been remiss in seeing my parents since we moved. My dad is 80 and physically could probably still take on most comers but he is also advancing into the darkness of Dimensia. I have no problem proclaiming him as one of the best men I have ever known and consider him as a true hero not just for service but for everything and everyone he has influenced over the years. He coached every sport offerred at our high school but mainly was THE football coach for 26 years. I doubt you could get anyone of his players whether they warmed the bench or starred to remember a bad thing about him. When he started coaching the community was a farming community and many kids could not go out for sports because of chores that needed to be done, He worked it out so these kids had 1 night off practice each week and the other 4 nights one other player would fill in and do the chores. It instilled a great team feeling and taught many stars what a sacrifice that kid sitting on the bench was making just to be part of the team.
It kills me when we are together watching his mind deteriorate while his body still has all the stamina of a much younger person. I feel so bad when I get upset because he will ask the same questions every few minutes but enjoy hearing him talk about old times.
I also am going to work in a visit in the next few days as this has woken me up to the fact that there may not be so many left.

ryankdx12

Jul 12, 2007
Cool posts guys. I never had much of either- parents or grandparents. It's great to see you guys acknowledge these people. Nothing like counting your blessings- especially when you've been so blessed! It's silly to treat anyone poorly, for any reason whatsoever, traffic, in a hurry or otherwise. We all too often act like we're entitled to anything on this planet, and the sad truth is...Not a one of us is entitled to anything at all. Fate too often proves that point to a few unlucky ones.

It's a great day each time we get to plant our feet on the ground, breath in the air, and get through each day. Every adventure or misadventure that happens in between is gravy and spuds! Part of the feast.

Go visit those relatives for goodness sake! And if you can't do that, maybe smile and nod at someone else along the way, whose day might be just a tad better for your warmth. Thanks for the great stories, and reminders. (Be fun to see some more gents.) :cool:

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
Great, Great Thread!!

I to considered the same thought the other day Okie. Saying "Ole Fart" as I finally got around the clog up. We get so caught up in our little lives that seem so important. WOW! Are we spoiled or what? Of course, having to wear reading glasses now, I know I am getting older. It really sucks! I often wish I had been born earlier, so I could have learned from my grandfather and valued his wonderful stories more. Having polio when he was 2, he could not go into the armed services. Instead he went into the civil air patrol and learned to fly. This all after being in the depression and gathering the entire family up and moving to Oklahoma to find work away from the Memphis area. At some point, he ran a sheet metal shop in Memphis and got work however he could. Yes, he made stills for those who would pay during the prohibition. Later he went back to construction (why he moved to Oklahoma) and eventually became a job superintendent for a large construction company here. He eventually had his own airplane and his own hanger on his own property. Which is one reason why I wished many times I was older. :) I only remember flying with him once. The sacrifices he and others like him experienced were tremendous. My generation, not so much.

One thing that really got me to thinking about this, not so long ago, was Dogfights, on the History Channel. It will not be long before these "living legends" who were normal folk, who gave up so much, and knew it was their duty will not be around. We will truly be in much worse shape when this generation passes. It truly sickens me that the freedoms they fought for, the flag they died for, the families they left behind or lost lost forever, is not appreciated by a large number of the population today. The number who believe that deserve a good life, the American dream, the finer things of life, the freedoms to do anything or say anything they wish, without regard to anyone else.

On a more recent note that is currently on the news: What about the veteran who knew it was his duty to remove the flag of Mexico from an American post office?

I didn't mean to write a book, but you happened to post something Okie that has been on my mind lately. :cool:

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Great post Bob!

Funny thing i was just thinking the same thing concerning my father and ex-father-in-law. You can't spend much quality time with someone when they are 6' under. Do it now.

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
Okiewan said:
PLEASE take a second to respect the old folks. They deserve it. Just as you will ...
They do indeed DESERVE it!
I, on the other hand, have not saved the world!
So when I get old(soon), feel free to honk and curse, for I have spent my entire life living off the fat of the land that their generation fought so hard to make possible for ME to enjoy. And I've spent entirely to little time in reverence of the sacrifices they made for ME.

bsmith said:
My 2 grandpas had really bad experences, the first had it the worst, front lines in Korea and lost everyone he knew in the war, he's very bitter!
My Dad fought in Korea and a soldier was "who" he was. He too, was very bitter about his struggle against the Koreans. Imagine how he felt when my oldest sister came home with a Korean boyfriend! To us, he was being bigoted and unreasonable, but we never spent a night in a foxhole watching friends die all around at the hands of people who looked like her new beau. If nothing else, he fought for his right to express his opinions without having justify himself to a bunch of snot nosed kids!

That brings to mind, a thought I often consider is how difficult it must have been for someone to come home after an experience like that and be able to take seriously, anyone who had never even seen the things a front line soldier had lived. How could you not scoff at some college boy telling you how things are supposed to be? Or some impatient driver who thinks you're interfering with his ability to keep an "all important" appointment?
I think my Dad was that way. I don't think he REALLY respected anyone who hadn't served.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Speaking of "old people" and vets ... in case you missed it.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nONjlZ8YMkA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nONjlZ8YMkA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Great post Bob. :nod: :cool:

I really feel sorry for this country when all the old guys like the one in the video are gone. :worship:

We should learn from the Oriental culture. They respect and learn from their elderly instead of trying to hide them from view.

Those that don't learn from the past are destined to repeat the mistakes of the past. Many young people in this country are repeating those mistakes right now.

Excellent thread.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Okiewan said:
Speaking of "old people" and vets ... in case you missed it.

:worship:

Top Bottom