zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
Just checking an old 82 YZ I got for post vintage mx. Wondering how the shock is pressurized. The res doesn't have a schraeder valve like my modern bike. Anyone know?

terry hay

Nov 8, 2003
Some of the old DeCarbon style shocks used a resealable bung in the reservoir that you inserted a hypodermic needle into for gas filling. You should find a phillips head screw in the middle of the reservoir. Remove this to expose the bung. Pressurise to 175psi. Removing the seal head can be a problem if you're unfamiliar with the design. Yell out if you need help.
Terry

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
Thanks, that sounds like my decarbon system. Should my local shop be able to handle that or will I need to get it to my local race-tech guy (Leichti) or maybe Emig racing? Or even Stone Suspension.

terry hay

Nov 8, 2003
I would enquire about it with those guys first. When I was at RT in LA they told me how much they charge to service those shocks. I was amazed! Apparently no one wants to touch them. They have their tricks but they are by no means difficult. RT have a range of parts also. So supply shouldn't be a problem.
Regards
Terry

Top Bottom