Older bikes as fast as the new bikes ?

Tom H

Sep 5, 2000
I have an old '76 Rokon that is a little weak on top speed, but it will do amazing well against new 450 4 stroke bikes out of the gate. Where it really sucks compared to new bikes is in the suspension ("sucks" is too mild of a term).
I had an old '82 PE 175 (suzuki), It was probably as fast as my '02 KTM 200, but the KTM has so much smoother, wider power band... no comparison. The new engines may not be much faster in terms of peak hp., but they are certainly better.

cr_kid

Aug 13, 2005
I have a 1986 CR 125 and i say go the old 2 strokers. I have had drag races with my friends who have newer model 125's. One is a 2002 KX 125 and the other is a 2000 YZ 125. Let me tell you now that my bike is a mid to high range thumper and straight of the line im in the lead, but as soon as i hit 6th gear and rev it out the newer bikes take over on top speed. On tight cornered dirt tracks with short straits I almost always win the race, almost meaning, out of 10 races i win 7.
Any suggestions on how to gain top speed?

mattb348

Aug 2, 2005
cr_kid said:
I have a 1986 CR 125 and i say go the old 2 strokers. I have had drag races with my friends who have newer model 125's. One is a 2002 KX 125 and the other is a 2000 YZ 125. Let me tell you now that my bike is a mid to high range thumper and straight of the line im in the lead, but as soon as i hit 6th gear and rev it out the newer bikes take over on top speed. On tight cornered dirt tracks with short straits I almost always win the race, almost meaning, out of 10 races i win 7.
Any suggestions on how to gain top speed?

Sure. A smaller gear on the back wheel, and a bigger gear on the front (your engine).

Thats about the only way to gain more top end, other than putting an "overev" pipe on (but the gear ratio thing is alot more practical)

Of course, if you do that, you may not beat your friends in acceleration anymore :P

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Yes, there is a big difference in old from new, but both are vastly more capable than 99% of the riders out there so in reality it doesn't make a huge difference. A guy on a 1988CR125 won the B class and placed well overall in a harescramble I was racing. I did just fine in B class mx on a 93KX250 (though I did port, polish, jet, etc...~42hp).

john3_16

May 17, 2004
There's a guy at a local track here that rides an 87' KX125 and he races in 3 or 4 classes in one day...Ubfortunately he doesn't do very good but he does beat guys on newer bikes.

I talked with him the other day because I was impressed with the condition of the bike being that he races it so much and it's so old...

Get this, he's done 1 top end job on the bike and that was 3 years ago and he hasn't had any problems with the motor whatsoever...I'm sure a full rebuild might help performance a bit, but that's impressive durability.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I've got a brand new dinosaur (hasn't changed since 88) and it's faster than the 05 cuz' there isn't one. ;) Seriously, people have forgotten about these bikes. Yesterday, all the putz's on the 4 stroke 4 wheelers hitting their rev limiters at 6000 rpm would just stop and look....I can't use all the power in dunes/bowls let alone on a track. It does 'ok' on bigger tracks, but tighter tracks are prohibitive. Plus, it doesn't matter where you are, this thing takes a tremendous amount of energy to be able to ride it all day long. However, I've never ridden anything that gives me smiles like this thing does. There's something really good about the roar under the seat and the constant threat of disaster. Point? Technically, the older bikes are more powerful because (excepting Service Honda) they don't make them anymore.

cnielse5

~SPONSOR~
Feb 22, 2005
this is an interesting thread. now going by numbers I would say that the newer Bikes are far more powerful. I heard once that a cr 500 made 51 hp in it's last conception. I read some where that the 05 CRF 450 makes 55HP, and I Know a guy that works at the KTM plant in ohio and he told me that the 03 SX 250 made 53 hp. so going buy the numbers the newer bikes are much better. :nod:

In my own experience I have had 3 diffrent CR's I had a 93 cr250 that was supposedly the best cr motor ever. I have a 97 cr250 and i have an 03 cr250. Which one is fastest? the 03 for sure. I am much more confident and comfortable on the 03. I would say the 97 is next fastest and the 93 is the slowest. The motors of the 3 bikes are very diffrent. the 93 would hit super hard in the mid range and demanded to be ridden in the powerband. THe 97 had a good hit in the low-mid range but sucked on the top compared to the 93 and 03. the 03 is smooth all around and has no real "hit" to the powerband, but it is still the faster bike.

I think the hp ratings are fairly close on these bikes but I don't know the numbers. I'll take a new bike over an old bike anyday.

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
Jeff Howe said:
Find something on the 85 YZ 250 if you can. I recall reading that it busted out like 40-42hp and I think that came from a Dirt Bike Magazine test article.

The '85 was a good engine but it didn't make that much HP. In 86 they lost some lower end and added to the top. In 1987 the motor was again more like the '85. As I recall around 34-36 hp for the 85 and 87 (I rode the '85 and '87, can't speak personally about the '86).

My '06 YZ250 is definitely a lot more powerfull (and user friendly) than the 85,87 or my last YZ the 89 one before getting back into it late last year.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Remember the early 70's Suzuki TM400? Probably not real impressive hp numbers, but the "monster hit" hurt a lot of people.

cnielse5

~SPONSOR~
Feb 22, 2005
Anybody ever ride an IT 465? My dad Had one an 83 I think and that thing was a beast!! when the power hit you had better be holding on for dear life.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
cnielse5---don't know if it's overblown or what, but Kawasaki claims(ed) the KX500 makes 65 at the crank. The 51 for the CR500 was probably at the rear wheel? At any rate, riding side by side with 450F's, there's no comparison. Doesn't matter to me if this thing only makes 40hp, it still makes me smile a lot. :)

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
The biggest difference I notice between the old motors and the modern motors isthe power delivery. The older engines, especially the pre-power valve motors were very peaky, just like a light switch. These newer motors in comparison are so broad and smooth since they make their HP everywhere and is not just concentrated to a narrow rpm range.

cnielse5

~SPONSOR~
Feb 22, 2005
nephron said:
cnielse5---don't know if it's overblown or what, but Kawasaki claims(ed) the KX500 makes 65 at the crank. The 51 for the CR500 was probably at the rear wheel? At any rate, riding side by side with 450F's, there's no comparison. Doesn't matter to me if this thing only makes 40hp, it still makes me smile a lot. :)

Never ridden a KX500. I have ridden a 99 cr500 and a 91 cr500 (I know same motor). I have also ridden 450fs. On the track I would take the 450f's any day. I rode both Cr500's on a track and they wore me out fast (and beat me to death). on the track I would much rather have a 450f. but put me on the sand dunes and I'll take the 500 any day.

However the 250 is still my favorite of both. :fft:

john3_16

May 17, 2004
this is an interesting thread. now going by numbers I would say that the newer Bikes are far more powerful. I heard once that a cr 500 made 51 hp in it's last conception. I read some where that the 05 CRF 450 makes 55HP, and I Know a guy that works at the KTM plant in ohio and he told me that the 03 SX 250 made 53 hp. so going buy the numbers the newer bikes are much better.

Going strictly by the numbers doesn't tell the whole story especially when comparing bikes of different displacements..

A 500cc 2 stroke making 51 hp is going to feel alot different from a 250cc 2 stroke making 51 hp...There is a much bigger difference with TORQUE numbers..That is a the true measure of an engine's actual power...HP is determined by a formula of taking torque numbers multiplied by a given RPM.

The 250 will make its HP with RPM and will be more linear because it takes a massive ramp up in RPM to make those numbers...A 500 will be quicker, faster, and more violent with the same amount of throttle application and less revs.

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
http://www.suzukicycles.org/RM-RMX-series/index.html?RM250-RMX250.shtml~isoraami

This site provides some interesting info regarding RMs (I am not sure how accurate it is). It looks like the mid 90s RM250s put down 51 HP, until 98, then they dropped to 40hp?? Could that be right?? The 2004 lists 55hp. I am not sure why a 98- would be so much lower, unless there was some stupid emissions law or something that went into effect that year?? My guess is that they rated the HP at the crank VS the wheels??

btw, how would late 90s bikes compare to todays 250s???? Seems like a lot of the technology has sort of peaked (water cooled, power valves, etc, etc...) now it just seems like they continue to fine tune (evolutionize VS revolutionize).

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The late 90's bikes were all around 40-45 hp. The Yamaha's like mine (97-98) were a bit down in power. The Kawasaki's were more powerful that they are now (not including the 05 and 06)

Motorcycles changed a lot during the mid 80's to the early 90's. After that it was changes like new bodywork that made them feel better.

As far as power goes, the 99 yz uses the same engine as the 06 is using. There are minor porting changes, but nothing to write home about.

I still think the 99 KX 250 had one of the best engines ever made. You coudl make the same arguement for the 2001 yz 250.

Weight dropped slightly on most all of the bikes during this time as well. Some would say the older honda cr 250 engine is better than what Honda makes today.

rob129

Jun 27, 2004
cnielse5 said:
this is an interesting thread. now going by numbers I would say that the newer Bikes are far more powerful. I heard once that a cr 500 made 51 hp in it's last conception. I read some where that the 05 CRF 450 makes 55HP, and I Know a guy that works at the KTM plant in ohio and he told me that the 03 SX 250 made 53 hp. so going buy the numbers the newer bikes are much better. :nod:

I'll take a new bike over an old bike anyday.
I've got a 89 CR500 that is a beast. It will keep on singing right past a CRF450. An article in Dirt Rider stated they made a "modified" CRF 450 with 53 or 54 to the rear wheel. The test riders complained they could not handle it. My 500 makes that power stock....how about a port job......pipe and after market reed block. Now I am pushing around 62 hp and at a fraction of the cost to modify a CRF. The 86 CR500 was the hardest hitting CR500 produced. It was hard to hang on to. Honda spent the next 10 years detuning the CR500. My bone stock 2001 CR500 is a blast to ride... very fast with nice boingers. Even tho, I feel my 89 500 (even when it was in stock fashion) hit harder than my 01. I definately feel faster on my 89. But on the flip side, I have had to have my 89's suspension worked over. All the hp in the world and your suspension holds you back...kinda pointless.

Last edited:

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
rob129 said:
I've got a 89 CR500 that is a beast. It will keep on singing right past a CRF450. An article in Dirt Rider stated they made a "modified" CRF 450 with 53 or 54 to the rear wheel. The test riders complained they could not handle it. My 500 makes that power stock....how about a port job......pipe and after market reed block. Now I am pushing around 62 hp and at a fraction of the cost to modify a CRF. The 86 CR500 was the hardest hitting CR500 produced. It was hard to hang on to. Honda spent the next 10 years detuning the CR500. My bone stock 2001 CR500 is a blast to ride... very fast with nice boingers. Even tho, I feel my 89 500 (even when it was in stock fashion) hit harder than my 01. I definately feel faster on my 89. But on the flip side, I have had to have my 89's suspension worked over. All the hp in the world and your suspension holds you back...kinda pointless.

why would Honda want to detune its engine??

Also, why don't they make 500s anymore???

rodH

Aug 17, 2005
any thoughts on this??

I picked up my RM250 97, from getting fixed (engine/exhaust, headset bearings and adjustment, etc....). WOW, I never have had my bike feel this fast!!!!! I rode it at the shop it was fixed at on the street, tire was coming off the ground in all of the 3 gears I was in, the thing felt sooo fast. When I got back, the guy who worked at the shop said that I should be "right there" with straight line speed VS even the NEW YZ, which surprised me when he said that. I asked "so, what has changed on the late 90s bikes compared to todays 2 strokes?" He said that the power is gonna be about the same, but most of the improvements people notice is gonna be in the handling. The wts aren't that much difference (2 pounds??) but it is where the wt is placed and the geometry that makes the new bikes faster on the tracks. I was surprised that he said that the power isn't much different. I can't wait to take my RM out now, I am sooooo happy this thing is moving like it was supposed to. In the course of 1 day I went from thinking that I wanted to save up for a used CRF250, to maybe saving for a used YZ250, to wanting to keep my RM250 and NOT waste my money (I don't race, so the slight advantage I might get with a new yz250 wouldn't be worth the price it would take to get into one for me and my skills and my budget). Thank goodness for a good mechanic!!!!

thoughts???

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
we only have one race left, and i can say right now that i am 34 out of 87. This is also my first year at this track and my first year racing. My friends always push me to buy a "newer" bike but the ol' 90'cr does enough for me to go home with a smile on my face. I notice that some people buy the bike that has just come out and if i try i can beat some of them. Unless we were racing PRO then the level at which some of us are racing at it really doesn't matter. I always tell my friends who forked out the $6000 for their new bikes that there is no way that they are having more fun then me, just b/c their on a bike 15 years newer than mine. just think if us riders who ride ol' Skool bikes can get really good racing them, then we should be able to do really good once or if we get a "newer" bike. :) :ride: :aj:

Aug 26, 2005
I find it very hard to believe a '87 CR250 would have only 35 crank HP, considering the slightly milder '86 ATC250R was rated at 39 HP. Maybe those were rear wheel numbers, and of course you have to consider the correction factor applied (if any) and the heat, humidity, etc at the time the dyno took place.

All of the racing '80s 2-stroke trikes and quads were pushing from high 30s to up to 42 HP (Tecate-4) by '88. The 4-strokes are just now really catching up in the ATVs and bikes.

I salute you guys with the 500 2-strokes, that takes lots o cojones!! I may get one at some point for the sheer experience of it, I don't care if I would be quicker on a MX track with a 250, the 500s must be the ultimate adrenaline machines, and that's the only reason I ride. My day job pays the bills, not my weekend hobby. :nod: And if 2-strokes are politically incorrect? :moon:

Last edited:

Britt Boyette

Aug 16, 2004
I can jump off of my 79 RM400 and on to my 04 KX250 and powerwise, it's not a whole lot different. The RM doesn't have the smooth powerband that the KX has and the suspension is night and day with the KX beating it hands down. At top speed, the KX feels way more stable than the RM but speed wise, they are about the same. That being said, the fun factor is still at an all time high for both of them. You just ride the bikes within their limits. Most older and/ or larger displacement bikes are not riding mistake friendly. It really doesn't matter what year or size your bike is though, it's how well you take care of them and what your expectations out of them are. "Almost" any new, (not made in China), bike is going to do something a little better than last years model.

Britt

Bignig604

Aug 4, 2009
as for your research on the 1987 bikes making mid 30s hp.. i have a stock 1984 rm125 that puts out 41hp, wich is the same as a stock 1986 rm250, and yet the 250 weighs 15 pounds more.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Come on, fellows. Each dyno reads differently. Unless you put each bike on the same dyno in the same conditions, you will not get comparable numbers.

And, again, is the measurement at the crank or at the rear wheel.

Top Bottom