Older Honda cr500 parts swap question

paul407

Apr 4, 2004
I have a 1987 CR500 and need to get another rear wheel (Rim) for it. I called several Honda dealers and they told me that since the part numbers are different for the other years (1986 and 1988), then the rim must be different and thus cannot be swapped. I find it hard to believed that Honda mad UNIQUE rims for each year of the CR500 back in the 80's. Any expertise in this area would be greatly appreciated because I do not want to spend the big bucks on a new one.

Paul

Flyboy500

Mar 1, 2004
CR500 Rim

The best place to contact on that would be Service Honda.
They even have a parts break down and part numbers on their site. You may be able to get the help your looking for.

Good Luck...

Dragmeistr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 14, 2002
I have been doing alot of messing with Honda wheels lately and they do change small things from year to year it seems. Like how the rotor mounts etc. My guess is that you can get one to work, you will have to buy year specific parts for the wheel you get to make it happen.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I second using Service Honda. I just bought a new rim for $340. Ebay is another option, as there are always rims on there for fairly cheap.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I was on Ebay today and saw this:
Honda CR250 Rear Wheel, CR 250, CR500, CR 500 Item number: 2472019066
Might be what you're looking for.

sunnyboy

Feb 24, 2003
great bike it is worth every dollar you put into it.it has always been my understanding that the 88 is the exact same bike as the 87 except for the color.im pretty sure the 88 rim is the same except for the color thus it has a diff. part number.you can have your parts guy contact honda directly to check or have him check the part number for the hub it should be the same i dont think they changed the color of the hub.you might want to check after market rims, you may get a better rim for less or equal money and you can get it in gold so it will match.a good wheel shop should be able to take care of you no problem, you can even up grade your spokes and nipples at the same time if you like.contact bucannons wheel shop in montery park cal. they do my wheel work and have even mounted rims for me that dont quiet match it might be worth your time to have them take care of you

Top Bottom