older/inexpensive 80 85 or 100 for an adult play bike

svttodd

Jan 14, 2005
I am looking for a KX80-KX100, or maybe simular Rm, CR, or YZ. I have a really nice 2003 KX250 that I aggressively trailride with, and I just want a second bike/play bike that I can jump and hammer on that's not too big or too expensive. I know, everyone says get one of those four stroke 50's or a 110cc Thumpstar or something, but I really like the 'mini' version of my KX250. I like the two stroke mini racebikes.

Now, my question is...what is a good year to get for a little money (like under $1100 or so). I was looking at a couple really cheap (I mean really cheap!) 89 kx80's, but I am not sure if the suspension could handle an aggressive adult. I wanted something a little newer/more modern. Is there a certain year that they started making them with better suspension that would handle an adult with little or no expensive modifications? Let me know so that I can get my Mini fix! Thanks. -Todd

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
A KX100 (with the inverted forks) would be ideal and you can probably find one in your price range. Second choice would be a KX80BW (big wheel, same thing as the KX 100 only older, smaller bore and conventional, damper rod forks). My sister has a 1991 KX80 BW and my wife has 2003 KX100. With new fork and shock spring s (.39kg fork, 5.4kg shock) the 03 is an awsome playbike for me and works well for her. The previous version with the conventional forks is suprisingly good for its age, the motors are great. The forks flex a bit if you land hard and I'm not sure about the availabilty of stiffer springs. The forks don't respond well to high [fork] speed hits (no damper rod fork does) but work fairly well on low speed stuff like g-outs and jump landings.

I belive 1995 was the first year of the inverted forked KX100. Other than the forks, not much changed from 1991 (possibly older, don't know) to 2000. In 2001 it got new bodywork that feels much better to me. The new bodywork is adaptable to the older bike as the frames are basically the same.

Botom line, I highly recomend a 80 or 100cc two stroke MX bike as a play bike. Serious fun:)

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
My 2000 KX100 needs a gas tank, having trouble finding one on the popular auction site, but the 2001-up tanks are on there all the time, cheap. Are you saying that I could adapt this to my bike? I was thinking there were different tabs welded on the frame for mounting points?

too bad you don't live closer, my bike is already set up for an adult, and will be for sale soon, once I get a fuel tank.

On the KX100, I would suggest using 10 or even 15 wt. fork oil instead of the stock 5 wt. The forks are very soft compared to the shock, even after buying heavier springs I still thought the forks were a bit weak over jumps, but much better. The plus side is that they suck up bumps in the woods very nicely.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Motometal,

I've been told that the tank will bolt on if you get the left side bracket (mimics a rad) to go with it. From a casual comparison of the 1991 KX to the 2003 I can not see any frame differance other than the color and kick stand tab. I haven't tried swaping the tanks though. The new tank and symetrical rad shrouds make the bike feel much better to an adult rider as your knees both have something of the same size and shape to push against rather than one rad shroud that sticks out kinda far and nothing on the other side.

We use our 03 for woods exclusively right now and 5wt oil with stiff springs seems to be working very well for us. The trick to getting the forks to work well for me was finding stiff enough springs. Race tech only goes up to .33kg which wasn't going to cut it. Fortunately, I found a pair of .39kg fork springs from R&D racing which seems to be just about right for me (150lbs) in the woods. I'm also working on a headlight for it. I've mounted one from a KDX200, but still need to find a way to power it. They only have lighting coils available for the non-powervalve motors that I've been able to find.

I mounted a 12oz flywheel weight to help it hook up in the woods and tame it a bit for my wife. I was surprised to find that I actually liked it (the 03) better with the weight too (and I'm not a new rider, been racing B class Haresrambles and MX for quite a while). To me the newer bike felt like it had a lot less flywheel mass stock than did the older bike stock. With the 12oz weight it feels like it may have slightly more than the older bike.

minifig-phil

Spammer
Apr 6, 2002
the CR80 Expert hasen't really changed much at all since 1996 so you cand find 1996-98 for usually under a grand. they are a great bike! I bought one for my wife and it halls my big butt around no problem.

Top Bottom