olderKtm200 vs newerkdx200/220

Dogboy

Jul 20, 2001
Already put this post in once but it got lost and i type with 1 finger,hope it doesnt pop back up.Heres a twist to the post below on ktm200 vs ktm 200.OK im wanting to buy a used bike for about 3K until i can get the bike i really want(GASGAS or KTM200/250)which will be a year or so,at which time i will keep this bike as a spare or guest bike.I can buy a like new kdx 200/220 for 3K or i can buy a 97-99 ktm for about the same,even with a little more use im thinkin the ktm might be years ahead of the dated kdx,and better built.i had a new kdx 220.Ive ridden a 97ktm200exc a friend had with a few mods it was pretty peppy.I know im in the euro forum,what can i expect, any solid advice here appreciated.Im 39 yrs,175 lbs,6'1",25+ yrs saddle time,"c" rider,trails mostly, and may be living in idaho next year.??????????

Last edited:

maicomotoman

Dec 16, 2001
I think that a 3-5 year-old KTM could turn into a money pit. Unless you are able to get one with new bearings, seals, top end, brakes, etc, you may end up spending another $500+ making it run right(before starting on the race goodies), when you could just put gas in a fresh KDX (KDXs are more reliable to begin with IMO) If you want to race it, and are going to spend some extra $ anyway, a KTM would be faster. If you are looking for a reliable, cheap, nice handling, relatively fast trail bike(so you can save up for that GG :D ) the KDX wins hands down. Just my $.02:)

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
the 98 and newer ktms are very reliable
and 95 and newer kdx's are also
the older ktms are broke alot
also i have a 2000 kdx 200 i have to get 2800 out of
to pay off the loan i thought may be you would be interested

munch

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2002
200 EXC

I own a '98 200 EXC and have no problems, compression is 180 and never been opened up. If you look around you can probably find one with most of the guards and other goodies already on it.

Good Luck

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
from the choices you are mentioning, (Gas Gas and KTM) I assume you are a fairly aggressive rider, other wise if you were just looking for a trail bike you would be asking for opinions between an xr 400 and the KDX... I have owned both the KDX and currently the KTM. Both serve their purpose very well. My KTM is new so I cant comment on reliability, but my KDX was 8 years old when I sold it and I didnt have a single malfunction. The are bulletproof! I have to agree with maicomotoman, get the KDX for now, (you can buy them with all the goodies already installed relatively cheap) and meanwhile save for the Gas Gas or KTM. The newer KDX's can be made to be very competitive in the woods........ the KTM's come like that stock!

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
DogBoy said:

"Ive ridden a 97ktm200exc a friend had with a few mods it was pretty peppy."

Humm... they didn't bring the 200 to the US in '97 other than the Jack Piner blue bikes. Did you ride one of these or a '98 regular 200?

The '98 and newer bikes are basically the same other than suspension refinements as well as the new adjustable bar clamps on the 00-02. The 00-02 also has the WP USD fork which most regard overall as a nice improvement over the 'zokes. Plan on revalving an 00 or 01 bike's forks.

Since you've ridden both, only you can make the call as to what you'd rather have - the KDX or the KTM.

When it comes to parting with the $3K, all I can say is condition, condition, condition. There are nice 98s out there and ratted out ones. Same on 01s for that matter.

Final comment - spending money is a one time event. After that event is over, you have to live with what you bought. Compromising the bike model and/or condition will be an issue every time you ride it. (or want to ride it but are working on it instead).

:)

maicomotoman

Dec 16, 2001
Compromising the bike model and/or condition will be an issue every time you ride it. (or want to ride it but are working on it instead).
Amen! I would like to add that the shock on the '98 is awful. You might consider the cost of a new shock in the total.They improved it every year, but that first one was pretty bad...

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
KTMs are very reliable. But then there is a theory that if you develop less hp the engine will last longer, so the KDX might just be pretty reliable too.

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
my buddy has 40 races (a-rider) and more hard rides
on his 99 200mxc and it still has the same compression as
when it was new never been rebuilt but has been through one
clutch and many tubes and tires 2 sets of chains and sprockets
one front fender ktms have very hard cylinders and pistons
rings KTM'S ROCK:aj:

Dogboy

Jul 20, 2001
It probably was a 98 ktm,i was guessing at the year.There's been a slight change.Im currently about to seal the deal on a used 99 gasgas EC200,its supposed to be in very good + condition,less than 40 hrs.At the time i wrote this post i had not seen any used GG's in my price range,and cond. I wanted so i thought it was probably too unlikely.I will know more in 3 or 4 days.Im pumped just thinkin about it.

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
A GAS-GAS HAS BEARING PROBLEMS THE MAIN CRANK BEARINGS
GO OUT EASY THE FIX IS PUT HIGH SPEED BEARINGS IN IT
INSTEAD OF THE LOW SPEED TRIAL'S BEARINGS THAT COME
WITH THEM STOCK:aj:

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
i read it some where but i dont remember where
BY THE WAY I HAVE RIDDEN A 99 200EC