09oneL

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2008
Just got this off D14 web site for the OMA race June 20/21st:

Saturday after the ATV's a motorcycle race with the following classes....Schoolboy (9-16 yrs), Advanced (A), Intermediate (B), Novice (C), and the Team (Buddy) Class. They will run for 1 hour.

Mark,
This is preposterous (as Jackie Childs would say).
I was originally planning to skip this one anyway but, why do we do these OMA events? are they good for our series?
How many Teams or other classes are going to drive to Copmish for a 1 hour event? - I rode Copmish a few years ago and it was one of the funnest tracks I have ever ridden, especially the escargot section.

Anyway, I do not mean to be bitching, just asking questions.

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
Fred,

This all boils down to a few minor things. The hosting club, TBTR, has been around in one form or another for years. The races that they have held over the last few years (10 or so) have been lightly attended at best. In short they were losing money at hosting D14 HS races. So, the guy who is representing the club approached us with this: "We are hosting an OMA (Aaron Wegner races that series, and his dad is a club member and wanted them to look into hosting an OMA). It's the only way that we will have a race, as we will not financially be able to host a D14 event. If we do this, we would like it to be a combined D14 event. It's the only way that we can have a race. Are you (the series officers) interested in considering this a points paying event?"

We said yes, based on the fact that like you, most of our riders enjoyed that track (although they do not have the escargo section anymore). This is our series working in cooperation with one of our clubs. By compromising (sounds familiar?? :nod: ) we feel that we are acting in the best interests of both our riders and one of our promoters.

The thing that is most unfortunate is that this conflicts with an enduro. That is going to be a deal breaker for next year, quite frankly.

It will be the same/similar at Battle Creek. I'm thinking that you're looking at this as some type of a snub to the Team classes...which of course it's not. There are simply more solo riders at every event.....AND.....The visiting series do not pay points towards "team classes" or offer them normally (AMA).....AND....we are the only series on this side of the United States of Obama that pays points for "buddy" or team classes. We are the exception. The overwhelming majority of off road series don't even offer team classes. So when a visiting promoter (The Eastern AMA Ntl HS series or the OMA) brings one of their events into a state or region that has a large series (such as SETRA down south...or ours up here in D14), they make every effort to get the local body involved to increase awareness and attendance. That's why we cooperate with these visiting series. They are running the show for the day....we are just riding their coat tails. By making the event a points paying race for our series, we bolster the attendance for the National series....and everyone wins, including the promoter. And by showing that level of cooperation, the promoter is able to survive. If not, the club could easily disband and be no longer.

Fred, you will NEVER make everyone happy. It won't work. We're doing the best that we can based on our feelings as to what is best for the series. You have the luxory of being able to complain.....we have the burden of trying to do what's right (compromise ;) ).

I hear the can of worms opening....just what I need. :laugh:

Last edited:

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
Please note on the OMA:

The kids are a one hour event, just as they are for our series (close to one hour). The big bikes go when the leader gets to 1 hr 55 minutes, plus one lap....so they get in about 2.5 hours. This is not a one hour race for the adult solo riders; please don't be confused. This is a Professional series similar to the AMA Hare scramble series.

We sign up per their class structure (Pro, A, B, 30 +, 40+, 50+....please see the below site for details). All solo bikes go on Sunday. Quads and Team is on Sat. You MUST indicate what class you want D14 points for on your sign up and make sure that the lady doing sign up (Tonya) knows what D14 class you want points for.

Website so that no one is confused about the actual program:

http://www.unitedoffroadracing.com

These are well run events with excellent contingency $$. There's usually a decent amount of Pro riders there too (Paul Whibley and Jimmy Jarrett went down to the last turn in 2008!). Bill Gusse is the driving force behind the OMA series.....he is also infamous for hosting the "Moose Run", in Morrison, IL. These events are normally pretty tough. His trophies and trophy presentations are always pretty cool, with autograph sessions with the pros :cool:

Last edited:

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
Yam7M,
Sorry about the injury! Heal fast !!

No worms from me, I can't find my can opener, only wish a compromise on dates could have been reached as not to have competing events on same weekend,(My fault, not HS officials) I missed that it was a points paying event.
Traverse City club puts on a good event and good trail.

For those who don't want to run an OMA, Bentwheels Enduro is same weekend. NO HEADLIGHT or TAILIGHT or License Plate Required BUT do need an ORV sticker for road sections.

Fee also dropped to $45.00 and NO gate fee.

09oneL

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2008
Does anyone know if the Saturday classes will be riding the main course or the quad course only?

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
Fred,

The only bike race on Saturday are the Teams, to the best of my knowledge. The mini's and solo bike riders go on Sunday. Please refer to the OMA website for the exact schedule and rules.

Here is the note that I got from Rick Flees. We lobbied hard for the Team race to be held on something other than just the Quad trail (we actually do TRY to make everyone happy...we just know that we won't always succeed :nod: ).

Mark

I will get with Bill in the next few days about the Sat. afternoon bike course.

I know it sucks to ride quad trail, so I will be trying to get at least some of the course changed to bike only trial.

Rick

Gussee's tracks are tight though, Fred. I thought you said you don't like the tighter stuff?

Also, just out of curiousity......You said "How many Teams or other classes are going to drive to Copmish for a 1 hour event?" (which isn't accurate, as the Team or Buddy class is the only one to go for approximately one hour, the rest of us will be able to get in approx 2.5 hours on Sunday)......But didn't you drive to Cadillac (25-30 minutes away from Mesick, where the OMA is) for a motocross race recently? I'm quite certain you didn't get in 1 hour of riding there, right? 3-4 laps of practice followed by two 10-12 minute motos, maybe? Just curious.

You could also stay for Sundays race? That would give you a lot more saddle time....just like you were hoping for at BW....right?? It won't mess up your points for Light Team, as you could just sign up for the 40+ A class ;)

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
tdunn976 said:
Yam7M,
Sorry about the injury! Heal fast !!

No worms from me, I can't find my can opener, only wish a compromise on dates could have been reached as not to have competing events on same weekend,(My fault, not HS officials) I missed that it was a points paying event.
Traverse City club puts on a good event and good trail.

For those who don't want to run an OMA, Bentwheels Enduro is same weekend. NO HEADLIGHT or TAILIGHT or License Plate Required BUT do need an ORV sticker for road sections.

Fee also dropped to $45.00 and NO gate fee.

Mr. Dunn,

Thanks for keeping Mr. Smith at the bar so late Sat! That probably made his decision to stick with work points a little easier.....and my day a whole lot easier too, most likely. Mark and Neal are enough to handle....those guys are great in that stuff.

We were given one date for the OMA, that's it. As you know, it was on our board before our meeting started. We hit up the other promoters with "this is the only date that TBTR can host their OMA, and if someone here has an objection or needs the date, please speak up". Noone did, so we stuck to our word with TBTR...which was...If another club needed the date, we would give it to them; but if no objections were made at the scheduling meeting, then the OMA would be a points paying race.

When Rick sends us his plans for TBTR this fall/winter, we will copy you again. Let's make sure that we don't conflict again.

We tried man! :whoa:

Valley??

09oneL

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2008
Mark,

Now I am really confused (perhaps I am also a bit of a tard as you say - the OMA link is not real clear to me) anyway now I am clear that Teams will only ride for 1 hour and mostly if not all on a quad course, correct?

Also - a huge thanks for lobbying for bike trial

I did the Cadillac MX because I was able to tie it in with going kayaking and staying @ Jack Pine with Dave L. and the wife bought it up, because it was a holiday weekend deal and she LOVES the kayaking stuff. (she has no interest in going to the races and thats OK with me as I do not enjoy spectating ether)

So, I am now trying to convince her to do it again by promising we will do a river on Sunday and I'll ride the 1 hour event solo in Light Team class - she has not been sold as of now because I had promised we would done with the MX allot sooner than we were. (sorry, a little too much info there).

I have no interest in riding solo for any more than an hour or so. I personally think all you solo 3 hour folks are NUTS.

Thanks for your time and contributions Marko.

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
Fred,

The OMA site is not super "user friendly". But, I see that they had 10 teams at their last event!

You may not like this, but they only have one team class. They do not recognize a difference in displacement (in ANY of the big bike classes either), so they just run one class. You just need to indicate on your sign up (ask for Tonya and make sure she puts "L" on your sign up). You will be scored for their event against all the other teams. Then we pull you out of the results and score you against anyone else that signed up for "L" by how you finished in the OMA team class.

Example: You finish 4th in the OMA team race. There were 3 teams that signed up for L, and they finished 2nd, 4th (you) and 7th. So, you would get 2nd place points towards our series. This should be easy to follow.

It also appears that they are paying points towards the Team classification! There's the second series in the USO that is offering a Team championship for HS racing! :cool:

The Team race is event # 3, held on Saturday. There is also open practice after the team race, for anyone who wants to pay the $10 and practice Sat night on the track. Bottom Line: If you want to race this and get team points, get there early (mid morning I think) and get signed up.

Also, note: I believe that Brett and DW (well, just Brett from what I remember :think: ) rode for about 1.5 hours. I might be wrong, but I remember him going longer than one hour.

Have fun canoeing. We all need to keep momma happy.

09oneL

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2008
Sounds like fun to me :cool:

Now just have to get the wife sold, lots of really great rivers in that area.

Thanks

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
Yam7M said:
Also, note: I believe that Brett and DW (well, just Brett from what I remember :think: ) rode for about 1.5 hours. I might be wrong, but I remember him going longer than one hour.
Correct - Brett rode most of it as I was racing the Sunday program. The team class will not be riding the Sunday course. Ride Saturday then head over to the enduro on Sunday.

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
Wolverine423 said:
Correct - Brett rode most of it as I was racing the Sunday program. The team class will not be riding the Sunday course. Ride Saturday then head over to the enduro on Sunday.

Right, I knew you were there for Sunday's program mainly, and Brett rode for your D14 Team points. Didn't he go for about 1.5 hours though??

Yankee Doodle tomorrow.

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
Yes I would say just abt that - Not anymore than that for sure!

5 pm @ Yankee

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
5 pm. If your going to make it, give me a heads up when your on your way and I'll hold up in the parking lot for you.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Yam7M said:
5 pm. If your going to make it, give me a heads up when your on your way and I'll hold up in the parking lot for you.

OH ya, that s what you wanna do be waiting for DW to make up his mind if he's going to go ride and then wait for him. Been there done that. :nod: Ask Zambon how any times DW was going some whre with him? :nener:

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
Yam7M said:
tdunn976 said:
Just showing respect to those who get my competitors loaded the night before a race :cool:
Had 1 drink there but talked the waitress into giving me my water in a rock glass, made them think I was keeping up.
Would not have wantedto be them on race day.:)

Top Bottom