Yogurt

~SPONSOR~
Dec 25, 1999
Well I got my EMT-Basic about a year ago through a local community college. I am a Nationally Registered EMT (NREMT), after that I took an EMS Interventions course at the same school. Along the way I have been taking generals to get my 2 year A.A.S. degree along with Paramedic certified. Now this semester I have started my Paramedic training. It just started on Monday the 13th. I have class Mon-Fri 7:45-2:15, on strictly just paramedic learning. The classroom portion will be about 840 hours and last about 8 months. That means I'll have no usual summer break, I'll still be a full-time student through summer, 'til sometime in August. Then after the classroom portion I have to fullfill over 600 hours of clinicals and ride-alongs, and check back periodically with my instructor to grade progress. The paramedic program alone full-time is about 14 months. So if all goes accordingly I should be a full-fledged NREMT-Paramedic by the time I turn 21 in 2005. It's a very exciting time for me, with lots of studying and testing. My goal is to get involved in the local Fire Dept, and become a full-time Fire/Medic. Maybe oneday I can do stand-bys at MX races and practices. My ultimate goal is when I finish my Paramedic school is to send my resume to the Astrics Mobile Medic team that follows our beloved sport.
So I'm wondering if we have others involved in the Emergency Medical Systems (EMS) here in DRN? I know we have some EMT-basics, are there any Paramedics or Fire Fighters? It's a very honorable and not always glorious profession, and definitely not the top of the pay scale. But a very import role in any community. I'm glad to be apart of it. Wish me luck, and if you see me spending too much time on here, tell me to hit the books! :)

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
I'm not but my mother and step-father are. They live in a remote section north of San Antonio in the hills. They are both EMT's and Volunteer Firefighters. I can't remember what levels they are but they handle all kinds of accidents like car wrecks and stuff also.

My kids think it's great that they can say that Grandma is a fireman...:yeehaw:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
One of my best friends and riding buddy, Stacy, is a full-time Firefighter/Paramedic. She's been doing it for a few years now and loves her job. I'm jealous because it seems like she's never at work LOL (plus they have a brand new and really cool fire house). She's a STM and her name is buk0138 on here but she doesn't post too much. She and her boyfriend were at DW01 and Stacy won the Women's race there. She also rides a '04 CRF 250. Maybe it's a sign, Yogurt :p

Good luck with your courses and training!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Good work Yogurt!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Ryan fantastic choice:thumb:. I am an EMT and when I first started as a deputy we ran the county ambo service. Still used the knowledge on patrol for 22 years after as we often arrived at accidents before any fire/rescue members.
Once you complete the training it is something you will be happy to have everyday nknowing you have the knowledge and expertise to do something to make a differrence.
My guess is your past has impacted your decision and I'll bet your dad is smiling about it.

BTW Schools out in late August???....Sounds like a break is needed DW04 here you come

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Congrats and Good Luck with classes. You coming to the Minny SX? I wouldn't mind a repeat of oldguy jumping out of my van at Bob's yelling "hey it's yogurt" I'm thinking at the time sheesh we can always stop and pick up a real snack on the way back to the hotel :laugh:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Very admirable choice of advocation, Yogurt.
Push on hard, Brother!

dirtybkr

Mar 17, 2000
Way to go Yogart ! I've been a NY State cert. EMT for about 10 years and joined the National Registry 3 years ago . I am also a Fire Fighter and Haz Mat Tech . I love my job . We get to play with some of the coolest toys around , not to mention the feeling you get when you help someone out .

Have you worked with any Paramedics yet ? You are going to love those ride alongs .
Good luck with Para-God school , I know that it is a tough program , but you certanly seem to have your head and heart in the right place to succeed .

Yogurt

~SPONSOR~
Dec 25, 1999
Thanks all. Oldguy- I doubt I'll be able to make it to dirt week. Once the classroom portion is over, I'll have tons of hours of ride-alongs to fulfill. I just won't be in the classroom setting each day. We'll see when the time comes. As far as Minny SX, I will most likely go this year. Nothing set in stone yet.
Dirtybkr- I have rode along with Paramedics in my EMS interventions class, which was a pre-requisit to Paramedic. I had the best time when I rode with a Police/Paramedic. When we weren't responding to medical calls, we were serving warrants and doing traffic patrol, and I was riding in the hot seat the whole time.

BUK0138

Sponsoring Member
Mar 29, 2001
Hey yogurt

I have been a Firefighter /Paramedic  For over 10 years now..... Its a great career choice ..... its very hard to get started and you really have to put alot of time and effort into it but it pays off in the end.  If you have any questions or need any help along the way ... let me know

stacy :yeehaw:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Good job deputy! ;)

Now you know if you come to DirtWeek Oldguy alone should be good for about half of your ride alongs :laugh: Throw in the rest of the usual injuries and we could have ya' set over the 7 days :)

Top Bottom