Dede

May 23, 2004
Wow! yes finally I'm back on the trail. It's been about two weekend missed (too long for me :) ) because of my riding partner (hubby) pulling his back out and in great pain. But w/ lots of pills,rest, and two weeks off from work he was back to a 100% this past friday. So when I got home from work that day I ask the question that I was hoping would get a yes response and it did. Yahoo! Got the gear together, headed for the shed and pulled out the bikes. Ready to go! :ride: I have to say that with the two weeks of not riding I did get a chance to ride up & down my driveway(boring) by myself one of the days cuz I was freaking out not riding and I have learned not to go on the trails by myself so driveway had to do. But it's nothing like the feel of the ever changing trails w/ the one you love (awe mushy I know :) ) Off we went on our regular trail path. At first it was a little rusty, my bike was acting a little funny and I had a feeling that my chain was going to give me trouble later in the day. About an hour later we where heading up a somewhat challenging hill (well, challenging for my bike at least) and my chain pops off and causes me to fall over near the top of the hill. This has happen before so it wasn't a huge deal but usually my hubby (who leads) will stop every now and then to make sure I'm still behind him. Well his riding has really improved and he's now very fast so most times I don't even see him up ahead anymore. So I knew it would be a while before he would turn around and see I wasn't there. Since he's the one that had always fix my chain or helped me pick my bike up I knew it was time to learn how to do it myself. I had to hold my bike up on a slope and try to pop the chain on. It took me three times but I did it and I almost pushed my bike up the hill before he even got to me. I was so proud of myself. I realized that I could do it and it wasn't that bad. The next day we went for another ride but the trails we've been going on are getting more limited due to hunting season and logging. But there's still enough trail to enjoy so I can't really whine. I was hoping for another ride today but this morning he said he was a little sore so I think it might be a day of rest cuz I don't want his back to get worse again (he goes back to work tomorrow). But anyway, I had some great rides and that makes me happy :yeehaw:

Kryssie

Sep 25, 2004
Glad to hear you got to go riding!!

Let me ask you this, is your TTR "cold natured" ?? Mine is a beast to keep running when you first start it. I think it might need a different plug. Have you had yours long? Does yours have electric start (mines a godsend, lol). :aj:

Kpicha

Sep 11, 2004
Wow! That's quite a feat getting the chain on by yourself! I'm sure I would have been so frustrated I would have exhausted myself and quit. It sure is nice to be able to get that "bug" out of your system finally when you've been itching to ride for a couple of weeks :)

Kryssie- check out this forum http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/UBB38

Its been mentioned quite a bit that the TTR is cold natured and will run awesome after a change in the jetting. Good Luck!

Dede

May 23, 2004
Kryssie,
Yes, my bike does have trouble also w/ starting. I've had it for about 6 months now. As far as I know I've always had trouble w/ that. I let it warm up for a couple and I leave the choke all the way on then after I take off for about ten feet I push the choke down and it's fine for the rest of the trail ride (about 3 hours long). Although, probably the last few time out it's stalled on & off on me during some of the times when I go to start it again on the trail. It's getting colder here now so I'm sure that's why it's acting up more now. Still not that big of a deal cuz I just do the same thing w/ the choke like in the beginning to get it going again.
Ya, the electric start is great. :) My bike has both, electric & kick. So now & then I like to kick start it (it's a great feeling when you can get it going on your own.)

Kryssie

Sep 25, 2004
Dede said:
Kryssie,
Yes, my bike does have trouble also w/ starting. I've had it for about 6 months now. As far as I know I've always had trouble w/ that. I let it warm up for a couple and I leave the choke all the way on then after I take off for about ten feet I push the choke down and it's fine for the rest of the trail ride (about 3 hours long). Although, probably the last few time out it's stalled on & off on me during some of the times when I go to start it again on the trail. It's getting colder here now so I'm sure that's why it's acting up more now. Still not that big of a deal cuz I just do the same thing w/ the choke like in the beginning to get it going again.
Ya, the electric start is great. :) My bike has both, electric & kick. So now & then I like to kick start it (it's a great feeling when you can get it going on your own.)

Thanks for the info. I will look into all the things mentioned. I will also try the choke thing and mine has kick/electric too :yeehaw:

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Dede said:
About an hour later we where heading up a somewhat challenging hill (well, challenging for my bike at least) and my chain pops off and causes me to fall over near the top of the hill. This has happen before so it wasn't a huge deal

Sounds like your chain is too loose or worn out, they shouldn't pop off. Have you adjusted it to take excess slack out of it? If so, you should check the chain and sprockets for excess wear.

You need some slack in your chain to keep from breaking it when the suspension loads but if it is popping off you have too much. Your owner's manual would have info on what amount of slack is acceptable and how to measure it.

chewgravel

Aug 28, 2004
Sounds like you had a great time. It is really neat when you can get things done without the man help around. LOL!. I dumped my bike in a turn on the track last Sat and had it picked up and started before the guy watching the turn could even get to me. Yippee. And that XT is heavy too. I had a TTR125L before. Nice bike for the trails. Mine only had the kick start. It was easy to start, but did take a while to warm up. I really enjoyed that bike. Chose the dual sport to upgrade because I was doing some riding on back roads and didn't want the bad policemen to take my bike away. So far no one has noticed my bike has full knobbys.
Here's hoping the weather stays nice enough for you to get lots more riding in.

Dede

May 23, 2004
bbbom,
Yes, I'm thinking that it might be a wore chain problem. I would say it's happen maybe four or five times since march. Everytime it happens Joe will usually tighten it when we get home (I have yet to do that by myself). But it doesn't seem to last too long before it need to be tighten again. Do you think that it probably just came w/ a cheap chain or is this a normal reaction? I still have so much to learn. Thanks for the input.
P.S. glad to see you're posting again. It's been a while since I've seen some of the regular user names I remember when I joined back in May.:)

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Thanks for the welcome back. :cool: I've been lurking around but been lazy about posting and haven't done anything too exciting, just a few nice rides at home and playing pitmom for the kids.

Most stock chains are pretty cheap and will wearout. You should check your sprocket too cause a chain that is worn or that has been out of adjustment can wear out the sprockets pretty easily.

To check your chain for proper slack, put the bike in neutral and pull up on the chain above the swingarm halfway between the two sprockets. You should have about 2 1/4" of space from the top of the swingarm to the bottom of the chain.

To adjust the slack just loosen the rear axle nut, loosen the adjusters and slide the wheel back until you get proper slack. Snug up the adjusters, making sure that they are both on the same indicator marks on the swingarm, then holding the wheel in place (sit on a chair and push against the wheel) tighten the axle nut then the adjuster nuts.

Make sure you get your axle nut TIGHT and the adjuster nuts should be pretty tight too! It isn't hard to do but it takes some practice to figure out how to make sure you get the adjusters even. If they aren't even, your chain will not be straight and it will wear out faster.

If you do a search on the Repair Forum, I'm sure there's lots of info on chain adjustment & sprockets.

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

Kryssie said:
Glad to hear you got to go riding!!

Let me ask you this, is your TTR "cold natured" ?? Mine is a beast to keep running when you first start it. I think it might need a different plug. Have you had yours long? Does yours have electric start (mines a godsend, lol). :aj:

Those little 4 strokes are all cold natured little beats. A long time ago I had a XR-100 and you had to let it warm up for quite awhile or it wasn't happy at all...lol. Once it was warm it always ran fine.

Top Bottom