MelloYello

~SPONSOR~
Nov 22, 2002
So there I was, somewhere in the Mojave Desert, lined up with something like a 1000 other dirtbikers (just like in Bruce Brown's classic movie) waiting for the banner to drop. I've got all the symptoms: heart racing at 200 bpm, mouth as dry as the Sahara and little beads of sweat forming on my forehead. I'm all set to embark on my first desert race/adventure.

The peaky revs of two-strokes and the bass tones of thumpers slowly die down as everyone cuts their engine, and it's eerily silent in the desert. A few nervous moments later, it roars back to life as we shoot off down the bomb run. I get a mediocre start and am quickly engulfed in a blanket of dust that demands I slow to a safe speed. A couple of seconds later the dust clears somewhat and I see a terrible sight. Three riders are down and their bikes are strewn about here and there. I get off my bike to see if they are ok, but all three of them are still lying on the ground. A woman rider on a YZ250F also stops to lend a hand and we go around to each of the downed riders.

Fortunately, none of them appear to be seriously injured. A possible concussion (I know because I've had a couple myself:confused: ), one tweaked shoulder and the third guy complaining of lower back pain. I felt like I was in Dirtbike ER, but I'm really glad they weren't hurt worse. I don't think I could have continued if one of them had been badly hurt.

We wait a few minutes for Rescue 3 to arrive and when they do, I take off. The woman stays back and I kid her that she just wants to come from dead last to win. (little did I know. . .) So I start booking down the trail (how did that word come to mean going really fast?:silly: ) and feel pretty good. Being so far back means I don't have to deal with dust and I start to concentrate on my riding. My only goal at this point is to catch one rider and DON"T WAD!

Ooops. Before I could reel anybody in, I decide to swap a little through some decent-sized whoops and end up on the ground fast. As I'm picking my ass off the desert floor, I hear a woman's voice asking me if I'm ok. "Mom, is that you? What 're you doing out here?" No, it's the woman on the YZF screaming past me. I quickly remount and begin pursuit. But it's no use. I watch helplessly as her dust cloud moves farther and farther away.

At about mile 12, I hit a wall. Desert whoops in small doses can be fun, but string together countless miles of them and it becomes a nightmare workout for your thighs and lats. As I'm whining to myself about my dire lack of physical conditioning, Steve Hengeveld (a desert stud) comes flying by, lapping me on this 35-mile loop!:scream: Wow, it's unbelievable how fast the pros really ride.

The next 15-or-so miles were a mix of sand whoops, big sand whoops with some rocks, and really big sand whoops that threatened to swallow rider and bike whole. At sign-up, I had decided to ride in the Novice class because the Beginners only went one loop. Had I known then what I would feel like after 2/3rd of one loop, I probably would have gotten in my truck and driven home.:laugh:

Now too tired to stand through the whoops, I let the earth batter my body and bike until, like an oasis, I see the pits. There's a crowd there and I force myself to rise on the pegs and twist the throttle. (Vanity, vanity, all is but vanity.) The sponsoring club, in their infinite wisdom, have placed a large mud puddle right before the finish. And to the delight of the onlookers I go in hard, showering myself with muddy water. A baptism of sorts, if you will.

Any thoughts of going out for the second loop are dashed as I pull off 3 of the remaining tear-offs by accident. (I swear, it WAS an accident, or a god-send.) I retreat to my truck, tail tucked firmly between my now-battered legs and prepare to head home, having had my sorry ass handed to me by the desert.

Will I go back? Yes. Will I like it? Maybe not, but I will finish.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Good race report ggoja. Sounds like you had a good time in your first race none the less. While you didnt finish two laps you did manage to do the one. My brother ended up wadding up in the bomb. He finished, but not without paying a dear price with his knee.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Good report! You'll finish the next one. In my first enduro any dellusions that I had about finishing respectibly in my class were quickly dashed when I saw like row 90 pass me. I was on a respectable 75! At that point it was all about finishing!

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Great report, Jake!!!  Sounds like you had quite an experience! :thumb:

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
So, who was this woman on the YZ250F?
Great report, but what a lame excuse for pulling out ;) You should follow suit one of the good riders over here "this is meant to be fun isn't it? This sux, I don't care that I'm leading, I've got a beer waiting for me (and another race the next day)" and promptly rode off to his vehicle (one lap remaining, two hour race). Those whoops were horrible, sharp & plentiful.

Definitely a good read, heck I can even picture it. Wierd though, I'd never figured a desert race was loops, I just had in my mind that it was just one huge ride to the end & somehow pit crew went ahead. Doh! What a dummy hehehe

MelloYello

~SPONSOR~
Nov 22, 2002
No, you're not a dummy. There are different types of desert races. The ones you're thinking of are much longer, one-way races (i.e. Baja 1000, Vegas 200, etc...) where the pit crew drives ahead. The local races are usually 2 loops of 30-40 miles.

Honestly, the goggles weren't the real reason I decided to call it a day. While still out on the first loop, I kept wavering back and forth as to whether I would do the second loop or not. Even when I got back to the truck, I was undecided. Then I remembered all the whoops waiting for me and how beat I already was, and that sealed it. If the second loop had been different, (some races run the same loop twice, others have 2 different ones) I may have gone out. In any case, I am a BIG WUSS!:(:whiner:

Who was she? Obviously, the perfect woman!:) She is kind (stopped to help injured riders), races dirtbikes, and from what I could see as she passed me, has a nice butt.;) So. . . be kind, race dirtbikes, workout your derriere and you, too can become the perfect woman.:p

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Lol, fat chance ;) I'm me & happy to be me.
NahI , had gathered the goggles were an "excuse". More kudos for you to know to quit than to carry on. So what if you're a big wuss, at least you can go riding again next week (or whenever). That to me is riding sensibly. I did a one hour version of the whooped out disaster ride & knew that I had to call it a day when I did. It just happened that the lead rider was lapping me (I'd stopped to say I'd had enough) & the race was over anyway. I was thinking the same "damn, all those whoops, I can't handle doing them again". Of course I had to say that I was fully prepared to do another loop (not). What got me was the winner of the 1-hour race went out on the 2-hour race too, but don't think he rode much as he spent a lot of time with a downed rider.

PhastPhart

Dec 15, 2000
Good report! You finished and you didn't get hurt. Desert racing is not for the faint of heart. I always hit a wall about half way thru the first loop. If you keep going and fight thru those next 5 miles, I always catch my second wind and start going fast again.

The race you rode was a tough one. Red Mountain has cool terrain but it is getting increasingly difficult to find lightly used trails. The uphills were a little gnarly for beginners and novices. By the second loop. there were people strewn everywhere.

Part of the stategy of desert is when to go fast and when to slow down and rest. It gets easier as you learn to read the terrain and pick your spots.

The Rovers are having a desert scrambles 4/13 at Lucerne Valley. That would be a good one to do.

Here's your desert racing tip grasshopper. Put baby oil on the foam of your goggles to keep the really fine dust out. Treat the lens of your goggles with AmorAll. It keeps the dust from sticking.

More free tips after each race report. Keep em coming!

Top Bottom