tgregg

Oct 3, 2009
I've been shopping for parts for my 1986 KDX 200 and I'm finding a HUGE difference between my local dealer and some online parts suppliers. Even with freight I'm finding some big savings. We have an 8.75% sales tax here also so buying out of state offsets the shipping. It isn't like my dealer has the parts on the shelf, he orders them so I have to drive an hour round trip to order them and then again to pick them up. I'm big on shopping locally but this is crazy. Paying 35% more and all the driving, they won't even take phone orders at the dealer! What have you found helpful and who has the best deals out there?
Gregg

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
tgregg,

please be aware that you can order parts and the order will go through, then several weeks later you could get a call or message that the parts are no longer availible.
The dealer normally can tell you the next day if they are no longer availible. It's a crap shoot..

But good luck with your old project.

griffkdx

Sep 3, 2009
You might try the cheapcycleparts website. If you see anything you want, call them and ask for Steve. He will probably reduce the prices that you see on their website. At least he did for me. They seem to have good prices on everything except tires.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
As an employee of an established brick-and-mortar motorcycle dealer, I can tell you that your friendly local dealer has a lot more overhead than an online dealer who may be operating out of his home garage.
But, that dealer will also be there if you need something that afternoon, and will have hands-on advice on installing the parts he sells. He'll take back the part and exchange it for another if you need. He'll also listen politely while you regale him with your riding exploits and superhuman prowess. Try that on your computer.
(PS we will take phone orders, and allow you to pay for the parts when they arrive...unlike the online sellers)

tgregg

Oct 3, 2009
mudpack, I was a shop sponsored rider for many years and fully understand the situation. I'm just frustrated that my local dealer makes it so hard to buy from them.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
mudpack said:
As an employee of an established brick-and-mortar motorcycle dealer, I can tell you that your friendly local dealer has a lot more overhead than an online dealer who may be operating out of his home garage.
But, that dealer will also be there if you need something that afternoon, and will have hands-on advice on installing the parts he sells. He'll take back the part and exchange it for another if you need. He'll also listen politely while you regale him with your riding exploits and superhuman prowess. Try that on your computer.
(PS we will take phone orders, and allow you to pay for the parts when they arrive...unlike the online sellers)

My local Honda shop doesn't carry any parts in stock. They have to order everything. Seriously, they don't stock parts.. WTF?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
IndyMX said:
My local Honda shop doesn't carry any parts in stock. They have to order everything. Seriously, they don't stock parts.. WTF?

I'm all for supporting the local shop but it's a similar situation around here. Before our switch to green my son broke yet another couple of Suzuki clutch plates. This was mid sumer 2008 and I called all three of our Suzuki dealers in my Province and could not get a set of clutch plates for an 2007 RMZ250 without them ordering them in. The one parts guy when I asked if he had any replied "oh no we would never stock anything like that". Guess the most common wear item on your top selling racing machine isn't something you would stock?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
The Honda shop I speak of is the oldest Honda dealer in the country.

I find it very odd that I can get parts from Service Honda, which is well over 100 miles from me, faster and cheaper than I can get from a shop 5 miles from me.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
All we have around here for dealers is a Honda shop. They'll order whatever you want, and if they get the right thing the first time you can have it in about a week. It'll only cost you 20 - 50% more than servicehonda too. Seem like a good deal? I didn't think so...

I've gotten to be friends with a guy who has a small bike service shop in town. He'll get me bits for just a couple bucks more than I can get them online. I get things through him quite frequently and send people his way any chance I get. I like supporting his business, and I enjoy hangin around his shop too. If you've got a small mom and pop type outfit hiding somewhere nearby, it's a good idea to get in good with them ;).

J.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
ronayers.com

bikebandit.com will be mentioned if this thread stays alive, but they are full retail on parts usually.

I doubt any brick and mortar place will have OEM parts for a 1986 bike on purpose. They have to order it from the Kawasaki warehouses just like the online dealers. The online dealers usually DO NOT have the parts in stock, so don't think that. Almost all online dealers do not tell you online whether a part is discontinued or still available. They usually send an e-mail in a couple of days saying that part 12345-6789 is no longer available, etc.

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
IndyMX said:

I walk into my local Kawi-Suzuki dealer (25mile away). I walk up to the parts counter and they ask "can help you" so I tell year,model,and part. She punchs a few keys, swings the monitor around and says is this it, and it was. I am expecting her to turn and go in the back and bring back the part. Instead she prints an invoice and lays it on the counter and says that'll be 42.86. I pulled out my wallet and for some reason I said could I see the part. She promply says Oh I don't have I'll have to order it, It will 8 to 10 days. "WHAT" I can order it, I need it now. She says "we can't keep parts for every bike." Funny thing it was for a KDX one of the most sold single models ever and I think it was a clutch cable I was needing. I walked out ordered a motionpro from local parts unlimited dealer had it next day for half the price.
I order OEM for Service Honda all the time and they do great. Parts that I need really quick like next day or 2 day I use motosport because they keep a lot of oem parts on the shelf. Valves, pistons, crankshafts, you name they have it 95 percent of the time. Their cost are about 10 percent more but if you got to have you got to have it.

Top Bottom