James980

Dec 29, 1999
Not to say that the current regime doesn't do a good job of maintaining an online results page, given the logistical hurdles that must be overcome, but has D-17 ever investigated the costs of establishing an online clearinghouse/database for results and points?

Ideally, this would be something searchable in multiple fields (class, rider, bikes, events, etc.) and be instantly updated by promoters
uploading data files in a standard format. The user benefits are obvious. Plus, most of us have enjoyed the time management benefits that flow from the proper implementation of database technology in our professional lives. There's no reason that also wouldn't ring true here.

I'm sure this sounds niave with the financial and educational costs on several levels, and I'm not suggesting this is something that *must* be done. I'm just wondering if it ever has been seriously considered and, if so, what was the outcome of the discussions. And if it hasn't been considered, why not?

Thanks,
James
00CR250

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
THese things are always a concern, think about last year when my wife entered points for more than 25 thousand riders in mx alone. ( meaning we had over 25k sign up and ride in over 200 events!)

Yes there are a ton of great ideas to impliment like you suggest, but bottom line is money. Not to mention the inner workings of point tabulation and the variations that go with it. We have asked three different gentleman to help us with the tabulation process alone over the last two years, still not finished but it is a big task. (making a program)

Secondly I don't know how much faster results should be posted, I race most sundays and when i get home the first thing I usually do is go to the puter and check the mail. Usually the results are beating my home, then of course i post them, seems about as quick as it will ever get. On that same note if you would be implying that all the tracks should up load to a site, then you would see the biggest mess ever since not all tracks format there results exactly the same and i do some of that before it hits the results page.

In a perfect world we could have stuff posted, heck imeadiatly after every moto, but this is amatuer, and the money for that will never be there. The money should go to the awards, improvments of tracks and overall good of the riders. I bet you ask any rider if he wants to see results quicker, or a bigger purse, nicer awards, things of that nature that answer is easy.
I believe those items need improvement, we need to improve constantly for our sport to grow.

Let me give you a good example on somthing, picture all our tracks using a particular software for scoring and not knowing at the time we were sold on using this software that there was a points keeping program that worked with it. Ok now I go and get all our tracks using this (18 of them at around a buc and a half per program) and two years later find out about the points tabulation part..............guess what...........the people who have that program say yep we got it, you want it? ok 3000.00 dollars please.
talk about feeling a little bent over! so that is why we are making our own program and then we will market it against that stuff. Things of that nature make this job wonderful, but all in all its not bad.

wardy

James980

Dec 29, 1999
Money always is a factor getting something like this going, but in my experience it's much cheaper going the modern route.

My magazine puts out two directories a year. When I came on board, it was done in quite archaic fashion. I completely dumped the old format and implemented a new solution using Access. I did everything in-house, learned the program myself and it cost us next to nothing to get done. We've actually saved several thousand dollars with the new set-up, get the information updated in less time and allow ourselves more opportunities to collect and verify data. The load on additional staff is much less, to the tune of about 100 hours a directory, and we've even eliminated the need for additional temp employment.

While the details of our two situations are different, generally it's the same thing: collecting data, doing something with that data, republishing that data in a new format.

You've made the right decision to develop your own software. You'll be able to put exactly what you want into it, know how to fix it if it breaks and probably save some cash. Good luck.

James

Top Bottom