james12wsu

Dec 23, 2009
Has anyone used online service manuals before?

I just bought a '98 KDX 200 and am looking to pick up a owner's guide and service manual. Like most, I first looked to see if I could download one for little or no cost. In my search I came across a website that offers this online service manual. The website, of course, says it's the best thing ever but I wonder if anyone else has used this kind of thing before.

I'm not sure if I can list the actual website, but it's cyclepedia. It says I could do a one year subscription for $25 and a lifetime for $40. If I did it, I'd go lifetime (I plan to keep my bike for a while), but I wonder if it's really worth $40.

Any advice?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I prefer to have my manuals in hand when doing a job. Makes jumping to the page that covers the task you have to do before the task you want to do easier. Plus I'm a little strang in that I actually like to read the darn things even when I'm not doing a specific task.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
If I can't get greasy fingerprints on the pages, it is of no use to me. Of course, if it's pdf, you could probably print the page, then get greasy fingerprints on it.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I've got some CD based service books. The downside is that if I run in to something I wasn't expecting I need to wash up, go inside, get on the computer and review / print that info out. With a book I can just sit down and flip the pages with my greasy mitts.

Ivan is correct, I should have said "one of the many reasons, I'm strange is because..."

May 10, 2007
Also seems like a bad idea, at least to me, because when i go out I always throw the manual in with the toolbox in the truck. That way if something happens I have the book. I would never bring a computer with me nor pay the money for an online disc then print the whole thing out and staple it together. Just doesnt seem worth it to me when I could buy an actual book.

In other words "If it ain't broke, dont fix it." I see no advantages to having a digital copy of the manual.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
flyingfuzzball said:
I see no advantages to having a digital copy of the manual.

I have lost or misplaced manuals. Digital backup might be handy at times. Of course, I've lost more hard drives in the past 15 years than I have books !!

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
flyingfuzzball said:
I see no advantages to having a digital copy of the manual.

Sharing information via e-mail is easier when you can copy info from a digital manual.

I have both. A digital copy and a hard copy. Before I moved I had an old Win98 machine in the garage that I used for different things like keeping a maintenance log in excel and accessing the Internet. I had another workstation setup as a sort of file server that was accessible by the other computers on the network so I stored the manuals and logs there as well as anything else I thought was important.

Ivan

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
So is Win98 compatible with CRC Carb Cleaner or does it give a CRC error?

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Patman said:
So is Win98 compatible with CRC Carb Cleaner or does it give a CRC error?

LOL!

Computer stored behind the desk and the keyboard has a plastic cover. Never had a problem with anything getting sprayed on it.

But... that was when I used my garage a lot more than I do now. Living 400 miles away from it makes it hard to just get up and go tinker :(

Ivan

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
truespode said:
LOL!

Computer stored behind the desk and the keyboard has a plastic cover. Never had a problem with anything getting sprayed on it.

But... that was when I used my garage a lot more than I do now. Living 400 miles away from it makes it hard to just get up and go tinker :(

Ivan
A your computer in the garage with a spray guard on it to protect it while you are tinkering... :think:

Yeah right.

I know for a fact you got's ya' a wimmin now to help with the tinkering.

May 10, 2007
I can see the losing it problem but I have a cabinet in the shop with all the other manuals. I use the manual and put it away.

I suppose I should prefaced what I said with "in my case".

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Provided you get identical manuals they will usually be the same. I had two Bronco manuals, a paper & a Ford DVD, they were totally different but both proved very useful. Glad to help muddy the waters.

Top Bottom