bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
OK, I’ve been a die hard supporter of shopping at local stores and have not shopped online. 8 years I’ve worked in positions were I’m behind a computer screen and have Internet explorer open all day, yet no shopping! I think that’s all about to change. I’ve believed that my hard earn money is best spent in my local economy to help keep small shops open, provide some local tax revenue, and help provide jobs for other poor suckers like me. Trickle down effect ;)

However my other problem is time, I put in my 40 hour work week and an additional 20-30 more a week on average with our farm, and so spare time to drive around and shop is limited.

But it’s more the rejects and lack of customer service that are driving me to shop online. I don’t like talking to idiots who honestly do not care~! I recently needed a door handle, so long story short, 3 stores, 2 big chain, 1 small town hardware store. End result we don’t care and don’t have anything like that! 2 hours 45 miles round trip.
Same thing at the local Book store, ordered a book for my daughter, after 3 weeks of excuses why they didn’t have it, they finally got it in. When we went to pick it up they had the wrong darn book! There response, you must have ordered the wrong book! Excuse me, we gave the person Author and Title, the screw up was your fault! No service!! So I went to Barnes and Nobles. Didn’t have it in stock, yet said be there in 2 days guaranteed! That’s great but this 1 book was worth 3 trips to town all ready and 3 calls to check on if it’s in.

Same thing with my daughters Birthday present. Go to Comp USA to buy her Zoo Tycoon 2 for the Apple, not in stock, they can order it and I can drive in to pick it up. So I called a local small Apple/Computer Shop, not in stock, we can order it and you can come and pick it up.

So I’ve decided I can order it online, and have it delivered. The savings in gas, time, and the frustration from dealing with minimum wage rejects will be well worth the cost of shipping.

I might start with Websites who have a local Box store and an in store return policy. This way if something happens I can at least return it. I think I'll do all my Christmas shopping this year online and let UPS deal with the traffic :)

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I am totally with ya on that one, Smiffy! If I end up shopping at the mall, it's a rare occassion indeed. I like to touch and feel the wares (Like at Williams-Sonoma or the grocery store) but as for CD's, housewares, appliances, and even furniture, I've done it on line most of the time.

I blogged about it last year - here's it is: http://dirtrider.net/blogs/GETMETOCA/118/

Oldman125

Jul 1, 2006
I agree that one should support local economy. I hate it when people are not interested in their jobs though. You gotta know the product and act like the customer is your freind.
I just don't understand what is up with the current crop of average employee.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
I love shopping online! I did a whole bunch of my Christmas shopping online last year - and will do the same again!

Around here we even have Peapod by Stop & Shop - grocery shopping on the internet and it's a $5 delivery fee! I'd spend more in gas driving to the grocery store! I think I'm going to try it!

TxCr250

Aug 24, 2006
I'm all in for keeping my money in the local economy too, but I found that when I take my best internet price to my local shop (providing they have it in stock) they are willing to come down on their price to be comeptitive. They don't always match the price but are usually withing a few % anyways. As an example I found Gaerne SG-10's for 280 shipped my local store did the sale for 290. Fair enough for me plus I got them the same day and kept my money local.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I can't blame you for the frustration, you must understand though that it is possible to have the same poor service, and even worse, online. Some folks find it easier to give poor service, up to and including lying to the customer, when they don't have the confrontation of being face to face with them. Within the last year I have had some really bad experiences with motorcycle parts and machine work, mostly involving not meeting promised dates, shipping the wrong parts, and also simply poor workmanship. All of these situations either wouldn't have happened, or would have been much easier and quicker to rectify in person. I'm not trying to discourage you, just giving you another angle on it.

Top Bottom