Open Letter From RC Regarding Brownie & the MXdN

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
From RacerX:

August 25th, 2005

I wish that I could write one of these when everything was perfect. Maybe next time?

I am writing this to hopefully shed a little light on this mess with Brownie and the MXDN. I want to begin by letting you know that Mike and I have not had any falling out at all. Mike has been a guest of mine for weeks at a time this season and is always welcome at my house. I have always been there for Mike and consider him a valued friend. This has not changed.

I am a little upset about the press release that Dan Dilkey wrote this week. I understand that he is upset for Mike and he wants to make his opinion known, but he doesn't seem to have his facts straight. For instance, Dan wrote about a meeting that did not include Mike, implying that he was not invited. The fact is that Mike had already left the track and was to be included in the brief meeting that Kevin and I attended with Steve Whitelock on Sunday after the race. This meeting covered several topics ranging from approving our helmet designs for the team to the hotel information for the trip to a possible film crew following us to document our trip and of course our concern for Mike with his struggles these past few weeks.

Regarding Mike, Kevin and I made it clear that as riders we should NOT be put in a position to pick the team. We are totally committed to the MXDN and don't just want to go, we want to win. However, we should not be put in a position to pick the team or in this case to determine if a chosen rider should be removed from the team. I suggested at this meeting that in the future we should send the 125 Outdoor National Champion, the 250 Outdoor National Champ and the next best available rider. (If an American rider does not win the Championship then the highest ranking American rider would be chosen.) My hope would be that every rider would start the outdoor season hoping to do well enough to be chosen for the team. When we left the meeting we were told by Steve that he would be speaking to Mike and that he would follow up with us.

Let me remind you that Mike and I have spent a lot of time together lately. We have ridden together, trained together and even traveled together on a private jet that I had arranged for the East Coast events. Mike attended dinner at my Mom and Dad's house for "Family Night" every Tuesday--he is family. We have discussed the issues that Mike has been having with his equipment and the difficulty of racing at the top level as a privateer. I have seen how frustrated that Mike has become these past few weeks; he even packed up his stuff after Millville and left my house without saying anything because he was so frustrated. When asked by my mechanic where he was going, Mike told him that he was going home and that maybe they should pick someone else to ride on the MXDN team. I knew that he was just frustrated and didn't take his leaving as anything other than that. I'm also sure that being at home with his wife and son would also help his spirits.

Like me, Mike is super-competitive. He wears his heart on his sleeve and kills himself to win. I think that his struggles over the past several rounds of the series are bothering him more than this MXDN trip. I try to remind myself that Mike did not write the press release and I understand that people around him are very upset about this decision. I spoke to Mike on Tuesday night before the press release went out and he and I are fine; that's why I was so surprised to see the message online the next day.

I feel bad for Steve Whitelock too. The MXDN venture is extremely expensive and packed with pressure for everyone. The manufacturers are absorbing a huge expense to send over a full staff with parts and equipment with the expectation of winning. I'm sure that Steve has been pulled in all directions and will take the blame for most of this decision even though I'm sure that it was not his decision alone.

In closing let me say that I'm sorry for Mike. If I was the reason that he is not on the team I would say so. I will also tell you that I still plan to give 100% effort to win the MXDN and will back the team that we are sending.

Thanks as always,

RC

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Bizarre??? Still don't know who made the decision...he's either trying to dodge a bullet, or he doesn't want to unveil the culprit.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I think the AMA and perhaps Suzuki & DeCoster were behind the change. No way RC and KW demanded that Brown be cut.

The AMA's Whitelock has said multiple times (this year and in the past) that we have to send the strongest team. In his view, we should stay home if we can't send the best team (I totally disagree with him on this point).

Also, Hot Sauce is expected to be going to Suzuki next year. My guess is he will debut on yellow at the MXdN. If Suzuki was already going to support RC at the race, it would not cost them much more to bring an RMZ250 for Ivan. The AMA saw a chance to get a factory supported rider who is whooping Brown's butt onto the team, and they took it.

Right thing to do? No. I think we would have won with Brown.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Getting off that fire-breathing Pro Circuit bike and on to an RMZ would be the worst mistake he could make. Those bikes aren't even close (trackside observation only).

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Under the team scoring system, the USA could win even if Brown was not in the top 5 in his class.

Also, there is a history of veteran riders (Hannah) and guys with Euro experience (Liles, Ryno) stepping it up when wearing the red white & blue. Brown fits into those molds, and when he was leading the 125 class, the AMA took the ball and ran with it.

IMO, the selection should always include the highest ranking American riders in the 125/250 nats on the last possible day they can announce the team, so I've got no beef with Tedesco, RC or KW, no matter what color they ride.

The controversy could have been avoided by not announcing a team so early. On the other hand, if Brown had continued to get podiums, he would still be on the team.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
It's hard to believe that Browns bike is that down on power all of a sudden.

Well unless you buy into that PC has backed it down, if favor of the Monster Energy team.....?

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
From RacerX:

An Open Letter from Mike Brown

To the fans,

First of all, I would like everyone who reads this or has any interest in this sport to know that I appreciate all of the support that I have received from the fans through the years from the bottom of my heart. I have not dedicated myself to this sport for the last 12+ years in order to impress, put on a show, or be someone I am not. I have put myself, my body, and my family through all of this because of my love of racing. I started racing at 14 because I thought it would be fun, and have not stopped since. When I realized that I might possibly be able to make a career out of it, I started treating it like a job and decided to go for it as long as I physically and financially could. You can like the way I do things or not like it - that is your choice - but the decisions that I have made over the years are mine. I am fortunate enough to have a family that supports me 100 percent and am very aware of who my TRUE friends are.

With that said, I want to make it very clear that Missy and I stand 100 percent behind the statement that was released by Dan Dilkey of the Netwerk on Tuesday, Aug. 24, 2005. It states the facts as they were made available to me, and we simply let everyone else know about it as I myself was finding out what in the world was going on. The people who were involved in this decision know exactly who they are, how and why all this happened, and who stood to benefit from it. The sad thing is, they got their way. This time. For me to start some big "he said, she said" debate over certain things being stated right now is pointless, and I will not bother commenting on things that are simply not true.... My only hope now is that every rider, fan, or participant of this sport take the time to really look at what has happened here and learn from it, because I sure have.

I guess the only thing left for me to say is that I will be at Steel City and Glen Helen giving 110 percent and doing the best I can with what I've got. I hope the fans will be out in full force supporting all the riders, no matter who they are. I also hope riders will put their efforts together to stop these politically driven decisions that will only end up hurting our sport.

Thanks to everyone,
Mike and Missy Brown

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Wow! the RC letter made it sound like everything's cool.

But after reading Browns reply, the AMA has tossed him out,, kinda like the 2 stroke. :debil:

CJG

Nov 24, 2001
I noticed in Mikes's previouis statement that he neglected to mention Pro Circuit when he was thanking his sponsors. Coincidence?

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Another clue. Bad blood with PC?

I wonder if Brown was on a Suzuki all along, if a certain friend would have sponsored him instead of Dowd? And spoke up in favor of not letting him off the team?

Politics and money is always behind everything.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I don't know what to think about Brown. I've always liked him for his quiet demeanor and work ethic but this year alone he goes to Europe after not being able to get a quality ride in the states. Gets into it with the team he signs with saying that the bikes are no good and and comes back to the states. He then starts out on fire and and everything is great. A privateer with the points lead. His results start to fall off and now all of a sudden his equipment sucks and he can't compete with the almighty bikes of Pro Circuit. What am I trying to say? I just wonder if Brown is just having trouble coming to grips with the fact that a bunch of kids are going faster than he is. If it was just the bikes why isn't Honda stepping up and giving him the good stuff. The des Nations isn't just for fun. It's a race. It costs lots of money to go and Brown hasn't been cutting the mustard recently. Ivan has been faster and more consistent so they gave Brown the boot and ask Ivan to go.

I feel better now.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
DWreck said:
His results start to fall off and now all of a sudden his equipment sucks and he can't compete with the almighty bikes of Pro Circuit. QUOTE]

Remember, and it remains interesting that Pro Circuit had a lot to loose by Brown winning the championship. In hind sight, not a company Id want doing my motors. :coocoo:

Now Mitch has what he wants, a rider ready to take the National title and going to the MXDN.

Funny how things work out.... huh?

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Sorry Steve, I just don't buy into the conspiracy theory. I don't personally know Mitch Payton. (Maybe you do and can enlighten me on his evil ways) But I would think that he would be perfectly happy having a former rider of his who had given him $27,000 (I think that's what I read that Brown had spent for parts and services) win the title. Would he rather have one of his own guys win. Yes. Has his team put more time and effort into their own bikes and testing than they did with Mike. Yes. But do I believe that Mitch is intentionally building Mike inferior equipment so that he won't win the title. No.

motoXman2005

Jul 23, 2005
Now does this message from Mike mean that him and RC are on the outs?
RC and Brownie contradict each other in regards to Dan Dilkey! And also
Mike makes no mention to RC as a TRUE friend. Curious, to say the least.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
DWreck said:
But I would think that he would be perfectly happy having a former rider of his who had given him $27,000 (I think that's what I read that Brown had spent for parts and services) win the title.QUOTE]

Mitch would be perfectly happy to see Brown win the title over his multi million dollar head-line Monster Energy team along with all the sponsors he has involved?

I don't believe that for a moment.

But I do believe Brown knows a fast motor from a slow one. And thats what he got back from PC after Budds. He questioned it, took it back to PC and had it dynoed, and things continued downhill after that.

It will be interesting to see how he does in the next 2 rounds.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
Just got the new Transworld magazine today. Ironic that there is an ad from Pro Circuit called "Brownie Points". stating that Brown is the top privateer and relys on PC to build his equipment for top results.... Funny now how Brown wants to dyno his motor and all.... Controversy no doubt.

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
That's tough for Mike. I understand the man hasn't been performing as well of late but you can't invite a rider and then decide to uninvite him later. That is bad form on behalf of those involved.

Mike has every right to be pi$$ed off

Last edited:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I was standing less than 50 ft from the track at Lakewood and can tell you that Brown's bike sucked . He was clearly underpowered compared to others, but I couldn't really tell if he was also off his game. He just looked defeated, for whatever reason. Could have been more of a jetting issue at that altitude? Either way, I believe Brown's getting the shaft. You stick with the decision you made, win, lose or draw. I'm all for sending the best guy, but I have a bad feeling about this situation. RC's been spouting his superiority over the last month or two, and that's NEVER good. Here's hoping he doesn't get his ass whooped by Everts or Pichon, or that Tedesco doesn't place 12th or something (I doubt Tedesco's ever seen a track like this). Then again, it might not be a bad thing at all. I'm kind of pissed about this whole thing. Just kind of makes this whole thing less interesting for me. Forgive my benedictism here, but this blows.

CJG

Nov 24, 2001
I'm really interested to hear if Brown is practicing with Ricky this week. That true friends comment has really got me wondering.
I agree, Nephron, this whole situation has a stench to it.

Top Bottom