Yz250FinAZ

Dec 15, 2003
Goals:
strip bike down to the frame, and paint frame
Replace stem bearings
replace rear wheel bearings

I was tired of my frame getting surface rust every time i would wash it.

Question: anyone replace the stem bearings without an expensive bearing press from a shop?

This is the first time i've ever done anything like this, but with my dad's help, and help from a friend i hope to have this done fairly quick.

Here is where i am now:

Last edited:

slodad

Sep 4, 2005
With the design of the YZ250F frame, it's difficult to keep paint on it. Powder coating fares much better, but even it wears off. The combination of powder coat and 3M automobile door edge guard material does a pretty good job.

Dirt Rider Magazine reviewed a couple of tools for removing and replacing the steering head bearings. They worked well, but were kind of pricy if it's not something you do on a regular basis. I don't recall the brand, but I think you can find them at Rocky Mountain or Dennis Kirk.

Yz250FinAZ

Dec 15, 2003
As soon as i have it painted, im going to put some grip tape over it, hopefully that will be enough to protect those areas.

I dont think im going to remove all the paint either, just sand it down with 400 grit, and then paint over it, after its all clean of course.

good or bad idea with spray paint? ill be using the pj1 primer, yz blue, and lacquer coat.

Yz250FinAZ

Dec 15, 2003
thanks for the link sixds!

Top Bottom