Mr. Clean

~SPONSOR~
Nov 8, 2001
Some friends and I are going to ride at Mill Creek Arkansas in a few weeks and I would like your opinions. What is the best camp ground? I read there are several in the area. We would like to camp next to a creek without too much driving to it. Also, what are the chances that we could exhaust the trails in one day and traveling south about an hour to Magazine MT.(Huckleberry Mountain) to ride there? Thanks in advance.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
There's been three or four threads on Mill Creek, run a search and you'll find a lot of info. If you enter from Combs, there is a trailhead with a mapstation, right next to the creek. There is a ton of camping all along this creek. If you unload here and explore a little, I'm sure you can find something out of the way with a little privacy. It's been a while, but I remember three or four small (4-10 ft) waterfalls in different places (don't remember how well the creek runs in the late summer though).
There are MANY miles of trails out there. Marked and unmarked. If you rode continuously ALL day, you'll cover all of the marked trails and some of the unmarked trails. I don't think you'd be able to see all of it in one day, it just depends on how well you are able to spot the branches off the main trail. If you enter from Combs, the main trail complex will be in the mountains to your left, but there are many trails to the right (all unmarked---but still very long). Also, at the top of the mountain along the dirt roads there are many more miles of trails. I think there is plenty there to keep you busy for two or three days. Regardless, I don't think you'll be disappointed! It's beautiful up there, there's single and double track all over the place, some VERY challenging sections and not overcrowded! Enjoy!

Mr. Clean

~SPONSOR~
Nov 8, 2001
jboomer, are you talking about Mill Creek northeast of Fort Smith? I could not find Combs Arkansas in the index of towns. If so tell me were Combs is in relation to Fort Smith please.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
Yes, it's NE of Fort Smith. You should be able to look about 15 miles or so West by SouthWest of Fayetteville. It might be Coombs instead of Combs. The area is also known as White Rock. Combs is a town of about 50 people. It should be on a state map or in the atlas. It does have a gas station but only has one or two pumps. Keep looking it's there.

It's on Mapquest under Combs, Ar. North of Ozark.

Mr. Clean

~SPONSOR~
Nov 8, 2001
jboomer, did you mean Cass and did you mean southeast of Fayetteville? A search on Mapquest with both spellings did not turn up anything in Arkansas. Thanks for your willingness to help. Why don't you meet us there Sept. 26th thru 29th and show us in person?

Mr. Clean

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
IF YOU GO TO CASS YOU HAVE PROBABLY WENT TO FAR FROM FAYETTEVILLE. I SURE HOPE THE RIDE IS AT WHITE ROCK WMA. THEY HAVE AN ENDURO THERE EVERY YEAR THAT IS QUITE ROCKY YET TUNS OF FUN. CALL KAWASAKI OF FAYETTEVILLE AND MY BUDDY RICK OWENS OR BILL EDDY CAN GET YOU TO THE SPOT. YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO FIND OUT FROM ANYONE RIDING THE BLACKJACK ENDURO SERIES WHEERE WHITE ROCK IS. I CAN VOUCHER THAT THE ROUTE FROM OZARK TO BRASHEAF OR DELANEY IS A TERIBLE ROUTE FOR MOTORHOME YET GREAT FOR BIKE IT IS THE QUICKEST THOU. THEY CALL IT THE PIG TRAIL SO ENJOYIT.

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
SORRY EVERBODY WRONG DIRECTION AMA SAYS SOMETHING OF NEW BLAINE AR WHICH IS SOUTH OF RUSSELLVILLESOMEHOW WHITE ROCK IS STILL SRRWWEEEEETT.....

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
It's not hard to find. If you zoom in on the map on mapquest you can see MillCreek Rd. It's about 300 yards past the little gas station in Combs on the opposite side of the road. Follow it about 5 miles or so (be sure to stay to the left at the "Y"). The trail head is clearly marked with a map of the main loops and an outhouse. White Rock is at the top of the mountain, basically the staging area for the Enduro, kinda the backside of the main loop. If you keep going down Mill Creek Rd. You'll come to a 4-way intersection. Turn left there and it'll take you straight up the mountain to the White Rock area. There are great trails on both sides of both roads. Also, if you go up towards the top of the mountain on the dirtroad, you'll come to a set of powerlines or something (I forget what the clearing is for) turn left or right along the clearing and there are tons of trails both ways. There's a lot of riding to be done up there in that forest!

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
it's a terrific place to ride & makes for a great enduro. if you find all of the little spur trails, you prob. will not do it all in a day.

Mr. Clean

~SPONSOR~
Nov 8, 2001
Thanks for the info. guys, We will approach from Fort Smith so 23 north to Cass should work ok. We will be there Friday night thru Monday morning, find us and show us some good riding. Hope to roost you soon!

Mr. Clean

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
I would suggest taking 23 all the way North to 16 and hanging a left to Combs and entering from the Mill Creek end. You'll hit a bridge just as you enter Combs and just across the bridge (Mill Creek) is a small road to the left. This is the one I described above (you'll see the gas station ahead a couple hundred yards on the right). This way you'll see the actual trailhead with the map of the local area.

Have a blast!

JohnScott

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2001
I live in Fayetteville and ride Mill Creek about twice a month. It's great! You might want to stick to the blue (main) trail for the first morning - it'll take you about 1:45 to 2:00 to make the full loop and it's a well marked trail but it'll get you aquainted with the lay of the land.

The creek was dry the last time I was there (about two weeks ago). However, we've had some good rains and it might be flowing again. There are camping areas all along the road next to the creek past the trail head and I've seen some pretty large RVs camping so they should be adequate.

I would follow jboomer's advise and take 23 (from Ozark) up to 16 and make a left if you're coming from the south. The intersection at 23 and 16 is close to St. Paul.

There are a couple of hairpin, 10MPH curves on 23 that could get uncomfortable in an RV so an alternative route would be to take I540 to Fayetteville and then catch 16 to Combs (mill creek). This would also allow you to pick up some last minute groceries and gas - the other route really wouldn't (for a fair price anyway).

Be prepared for some rocky, rough terrain with a lot of hill climbs. You won't exhaust all of the trails out there in a day, in fact, you could literally ride all the way down to I40 if you pick up the right trail. If you need any help on the way or while your there, you're welcome to call me on my cell phone 479.871.3205. --John Scott

Mr. Clean

~SPONSOR~
Nov 8, 2001
Jboomer and Scott2466, this is exactly the type of info. I was hoping for. Thanks very much! We will be there Friday evening the 26th thru Monday morning the 29th. We will be in my white crew cab Ford. Me/Kurt (YZ269), Eric B.(RM250), Eric S.(KTM 300) and Robin(DRZ 440). Scott I will probably call you one day with some questions about the area after we begin to figure it out.

JohnScott

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2001
I've got a camping trip planned with my son Saturday night so I won't be able meet up with you guys - I'll still have my cell phone though so feel free to call me. If you have any breakdowns, the local Kaw-Suz-Yam-KTM shop's phone number is 479.521.7133 - they close at 4:00pm on Saturday. I also have a few spare parts in my garage (don't tell my wife). Have fun! You've picked a great place to ride.

John

Top Bottom