Opinions on buying a used "Raced" bike

camrider

Jan 24, 2004
I'm in the market for a used bike and I'm leaning heavily toward a YZ426F. I don't race and never plan to. I want a bike that will be reliable and low maintenance. I've found several 426's for what I think is a fair price. One 2001 426 in particular has struck my eye because of an affordable price. But, it has been raced several (or many) times for all I know. From what I can see the bike seems to be in good shape. I just wanted go get some opinions on purchasing a bike that has been raced. I know I'm going to get the "if it's been well maintained it's OK" advice. That is common sense. But unless you know the person on a personal level, you never REALLY know what lies behind or under the plastic and metal.

I would like to know if there are any particular defects/common prolems associated with the 426F and what I should look for when shopping.

Of course, any opinions are welcomed and appreciated.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Usually a competitive racer will maintain his bike much better than the average joe.
If the bike is in good condition and the guy can tell you what he did for maintenance, I would buy the bike considering the price is right.

On a side note, The YZ426 can be fairly reliable for trail riding if you keep on top of your filter/oil changes and valve adjustments.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
There are two schools of racers, those who maintain their equipment at a level most average users would never even consider and those who just run it until it breaks. If the bike looks well kept I would ask the owner if he has any maintenance records including receipts for parts if he has done the work himself. If he doesn't have receipts I'm generally skeptical of whether the work has been done since I've seen many people selling bikes that just had a brand new top and bottom end done but the don't have a receipt for a thing. If the owner falls into the first category of racers then the bike will be a worthy purchase.

wannayz

Aug 27, 2002
I think you can make a pretty decent assessment of any bike by the way it looks and how it starts/runs. I agree that a raced bike can be in great shape if it was well serviced - that though is a matter of trust in the seller.

Look at the bike - look at the frame - the welds. Look at the chain and sprockets. Does it have good compression upon kicking, start easily (cold especially), have clean exhaust, idle and power up smoothly. Does it shift smoothly?

Major internal issues usually show up readily. Any breakage from metal fatigue after you buy it is always possible so I like to know what was (hopefully) recently rebuilt. BUT, I also think a well used bike should go for a nice low price - otherwise I wouldn't buy it.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Top end maintenance and repair can be very costly for that era of YZF. If I remember correctly the 426 had some valve issues? Correct me if I'm wrong. Do a search on top end rebuilds YZF. If there has been no top end maintenance on this bike. For what it will cost to do the work on it. You could buy a newer machine.

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
I'd buy a bike that was raced over a, "trail ridden" bike anyday.
Most guy I know want the bike to finish, for them to do well.
A bike can looked, "tired, (plastic cracked, seat ripped, frame rubbed) but be in perfect mechanical shape.
Take a look at where the bike comes from. Is there paarts all over, does the guy look like a wrench head or a beater?? Look at the fine details of the bike, (the air filter, box, is it clean?? Is the chain lubed or rusty? The gear oil, a racer dumps it often, so if it's black, the warning lights should go on.
A 20 year old will run a bike harder than most 45 year old guys.
As why he's sellin' it.
Good luck! A used bike is always a crap shoot!
Joe

camrider

Jan 24, 2004
70 marlin,

The top end issue is one of my main concerns. Don't want to spit out several hundred on maintanence 2 weeks after purchasing.

===========

joe28kdx,

Yea, I'm 35 and he's 19 yrs old and I've seen him ride - scary!

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
camrider said:
70 marlin,

The top end issue is one of my main concerns. Don't want to spit out several hundred on maintanence 2 weeks after purchasing.
===========

joe28kdx,

Yea, I'm 35 and he's 19 yrs old and I've seen him ride - scary!
I think it's almost like a grand to fix a topend? Correct me if I'm wrong.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
70 marlin said:
I think it's almost like a grand to fix a topend? Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are wrong.

I have never seen a dirtbike engine take a grand just to put a new piston and rings in.

A 2-stroke top end should only run a couple hundred if you do it all yourself and the dealer doesn't cut you any breaks on parts.

A 4-stroke top end is more but still way under a grand.

Ivan

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Lots of good advice here...

First off - a top end for a 4-stroke will run you around $200 for parts. The 426 OEM piston is around $140, ring set around $30, and pin/circlips/gaskets $30. Yes, a 2-stroke top end is a little more labor intensive to replace than a 2-stroke, but not by that much. The biggest difference is on a 4-stroke, you'll have to deal with removing the cams, but you don't have the pesky 2-stroke powervalve assembly to worry about. Also, a 426 can go much longer on a top end than more 2-strokes. If I can put a new top end in my 250F, I believe anyone can do it with the proper guidance.

But back to the raced versus not raced. I think everyone hit that on the head. More often than not, raced means better maintained than a trail ride machine. Your best bet is to get specific with the owner and find out what he has and hasn't done, and the timing of his maintenance schedule.

On a 4-stroke, I would want to hear him tell you he changes the oil regularly, replaces the oil filter as needed, and keeps the air filter clean. Then I would hope that he has checked the valves every 10-20 hours and either found them in spec or, if not, reshimmed as needed. Next, depending on the time on the bike, I would hope he has done at least 1 top end and 1 clutch replacement. If the clutch is stock, you're probably gonna be putting one in the bike. OEM plates/springs will run around $110, and (if worn and notched) inner hub $60 and outer basket $240. I would also hope that fork seals have been replaced at least once. It's rare for a racer to not service their suspension over a 2-3 year period. Also check the basics, such as spokes, frame/motor mounts/footpegs for any stress fractures, check the chain/sprockets, look at the oil, look in the airbox, start the bike, check the brakes, test the clutch, shift the gears, etc. I would also ask if the crank has ever been rebuilt.

Also, 426's had a bad habit of shattering the rear hub. Take a close look by the sprocket for and stress fractures or ovaling where the bolts connect the sprocket to the hub. Also check that the owner kept the sprocket bolts tight. The hub grenade can be costly, especially if the chain flies and attacks the case.

mxmatt426

Feb 2, 2004
70 marlin,
Top ends do not cost a grand! Maybe on your Husa they do?

Camrider,
YZF's are really reliable bikes I have a 02 426 and my girlfriend has a 03 250F. I do all the maintance on both bikes. I did adjust the valves on the 250F once. I check the valves on the 426 often and they still do not need any adjustment. If you change your oil every two rides and clean your air filter every ride then the thumpers last a long time. If the bike you are looking at smokes or knocks then pass it up, if it runs good then buy it.

camrider

Jan 24, 2004
I know that it already needs fork seals on both sides. He also said that it makes a "ticking" noise every once in a while, assuming that it is a valve that needs an adjustment? It has a few cosmetic blems like the seat has a small rip, plastic has a few "white" stress marks, etc.

I'm sure it has been maintained fairly well. I saw him race it several times. I also know how he rode it - hard. He pretty much ran circles around folks at my local track with the bike. The 90 foot table-top was no problem for him. That's gotta be rough on the suspension.

What's it worth with the above being known?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
We sold our '01 426 two years ago which was in tip top shape for $3,800 I believe.

Knowing you're gonna dump $120 into the forks right away, and there has been 3 new model years since '01 and the change from the 426 to the 450, I would think maybe $2,600-$2,700? There is quite a few at www.cycletrader.com for around $2,900-$3,000 (a few as low as $2,500).

But the ticking noise would make me not purchase the bike until it's at least identified if not fixed. I doubt it's a valve problem. When the valves are out of spec, the first thing you'd notice is hard starting. If the bike starts okay, then there should be no valve ticking noise. When I hear the word "ticking", I usually think of the bottom end bearing having a little play.... if so, rebuilding the bottom end isn't too fun.

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
sounds like it keeps getting cheaper!!! or at least I would hope so.
if he raced it weekend and weekout every weekend out of the year for the past 2.5 years harder than heck and if he didnt win the race he crashed out of it would you still buy it?
no one has to pay for it but you. theres lots of good info in here that can steer you in the right direction. a good telltel sign of wear are the rotors, pegs(how do they compare to like new) and bearings. shake the bike holding the back wheel with your hand try to find some slop in the rear end or linkage, front wheel bearing, and all of the like. Check all of the fluids then start it up and see how much smoke you see that is not black. black smoke is gas or a rich mixture. the other smoke is not good at all.
having blown forkseals is a good measuring stick for saying he wont even do the simple stuff so hows he gonna adjust those valves. I hope that we all helped you out. I would personally buy a bike that has been abused very much so that it has more left in it for me!!!!!! dont let him know that you are coming to see the bike until about 5 min before uyou get there. make sure he hasnt started it already for you to warm it up then you get to do the honors. Good luck we all hope its a dandy!!!!

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Thanks Nikki for setting me straight on the true cost of maintenance. My figure of a grand was for a catastrophic failure. Where there was more to it than just simple top end maintenance. If I remember correctly on those bikes the valves goes tighter when they need adjustment. And just for the record I'd buy a well maintained racers bike over a neglected none racer bike also.

camrider

Jan 24, 2004
I've been watching the trader for 2 months. You can pick up a 426 for under $2800 any day of the week here in the east.

The ticking sound issue pretty much made my desicion on this bike. Bottom end was my thoughts exactly. Valves are easily adjusted and you have no reason not to have them adjusted before putting the bike up for sale. I would think you would want the bike in the best of shape when attempting to sell it.

========================
nikki said:
We sold our '01 426 two years ago which was in tip top shape for $3,800 I believe.

Knowing you're gonna dump $120 into the forks right away, and there has been 3 new model years since '01 and the change from the 426 to the 450, I would think maybe $2,600-$2,700? There is quite a few at www.cycletrader.com for around $2,900-$3,000 (a few as low as $2,500).

But the ticking noise would make me not purchase the bike until it's at least identified if not fixed. I doubt it's a valve problem. When the valves are out of spec, the first thing you'd notice is hard starting. If the bike starts okay, then there should be no valve ticking noise. When I hear the word "ticking", I usually think of the bottom end bearing having a little play.... if so, rebuilding the bottom end isn't too fun.

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
My 2 sons ride/rode them. They are great bikes if you are just starting out. They have a TON of hop up parts is your wallet is deep enough.
My youngest is still on his, pass my older boys pipe/silencer and intake down to him, after he's out grown it, it'll be our pit bike.
I've noticed that the linkage bearings need a lot more attention than other bikes, I make a skip pan for it, (but you can buy one).
I keep the oil changed and the valves adjusted and it has always gotten him through a race!
Joe

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
70 marlin said:
Top end maintenance and repair can be very costly for that era of YZF. If I remember correctly the 426 had some valve issues? .

Nope, the top end on a 426 is as reliable (or more reliable) the the venerable XR400. The 426 had issues with the clutch ('00 model), counterbalancer ('00 model). All the 426 models had somewhat "suspect" transmissions (although I never had any problems with the tranny).

mxmatt426

Feb 2, 2004
Camrider,
The ticking noise you hear is most likely the compression release. There is an adjustment on the cable. They all need adjustment, and the owners manual tells you how. If the bottom end is bad, then the bike would not run, or if it did run, the bike would have a distinct vibration.

Top Bottom