billyp10980

Damn Yankees
Aug 22, 2009
Hello, I currently ride a 1997 kdx 200.
Im 38 yrs old been riding the bike for a couple years. Im 5'8"around 180lbs, in pretty good shape.
I am told that my bike is outdated and holding me back as far as keeping up with the faster guys. My forks have the larger springs for my weight. My clickers are turned out very soft for the trails.
I ride tight, rocky, hilly, single track trails in the northeast. I have ridden some hare scrambles in the vet C class and plan to go to Unadilla in september. I would like to upgrade my bike and start catching up with the faster guys.
For the most part I do pretty well, but once that rocky, hilly area comes up or I make one mistake I'm done for. I know there is no substitute for seat time but the guys I ride with have been telling me the bike is what is holding me back and as I get better , I'll still be restricted. I really could use some opinions on what kind of bike I should go for, if I decide on another one.
I can give the kdx 200 to my 19 yr old son, so we would still have it.
I don't want to get some big bulky 450 because the riding I do is mostly, tight, hilly, rocky and sometimes very muddy stuff so I like to keep the bike lighter in the 200-250 range. Any suggestions, success stories, and opinions would be well appreciated.
Thanks, Billy

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
A KTM200 or GasGas 250 are logical next steps.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
When properly set up for you and your conditions, I think you would be very pleased with enduro model Gas Gas or KTM 200 - 250 two strokes from '99 and newer.

rostifer

Mar 23, 2006
Dont' be scared of the 450. I ride some pretty tight stuff in the white mountains of AZ and its doesn't wrestle ya around too bad. My buddy rides a XR 650 and can smoke me on the same single track we do. Its actually kind of nice when your tired and you can depend on throttle to get you up/through/over things without alot of rider input. I also like the 300 idea that dirtjunkie said. that's a bad a$$ bike without the extra weight.

Top Bottom