AlynB

~SPONSOR~
Apr 12, 2001
I would like some input/opinions on the XR280 mod. from some people who have or have ridden one. I have had an XR250 in the past and really liked it, it was just underpowered and susp. a little soft.
I mainly ride trails and HS in the TN area, so its mostly tight trails and woods. I am currently riding a WR400F but its just too much in the tight stuff.
By the way, I'm 5'9", 165lbs., average riding ability.
Any opinions would be appreciated, thanks.

------------------

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I had a '90 that I put a 280 piston into. The bike was rejetted, with modified stock silencer and the air filter screen removed. The 280 kit helped add some power everywhere, with a slightly stronger low end and slightly more peak HP.

The bigger piston alone will not turn the bike into a fire-breather. You are only adding 5% more displacement and probably about 5% more power. You still need to rev it out if you want to make time on medium and higher speed trails.

------------------
1999 Honda CRE 250

AlynB

~SPONSOR~
Apr 12, 2001
The WR250 is still too new, so out of my price range($3000-3500). Otherwise it would be a definite consideration. Maybe in a couple of years.

------------------

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
My guess is that you'd like it for "tight trails". The 280 kits gets you a 12% displacement increase, which should be very noticeable on low end grunt. Based on my experience with the the 440 kit, you get more low-end and retain the control-ability that works well in the tight stuff.

Alternatively, consider an XR400 which is 16 lbs heavier. Both bikes will likely need fork mods depending on your preference.

------------------
Noscitur ex socio, qui non cognoscitur ex moto artem

philb

Oct 28, 1999
I recently picked up a 92 XR250R with the 280 overbore, SuperTrapp exhaust, and WP suspension, front and rear. This motor really rips, loads of torque. Nothing like the stock XR250R. I can't imagine that it is as powerful as your 400, but for riding nasty, rocks and TIGHT woods, this is the perfect bike for me. I love it.
just for S & G's, I put the stock exhaust back on and lost a HUGE chunk of power.
btw, I am 6' and 190lbs.

------------------
philb

my family:
92 XR280R
87 XR200R
85 XR100R

XREnduroKid

Jan 10, 2001
has anyone ridden a XR250 and XR280? is there a big enough difference to pay almost $600? If there is i want you to e-mail me and tell me. Thanks

------------------
Ride Red
The sweet smell of sap after being smacked in the face by a pine -Enduro

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
I do believe the 280 is an excellant trail machine. I'm very fond of the J&E 10.5:1 78mm piston, with a oversize sleeve. I also have found nothing that out performs the stock header with a XR's Only megaphone/supertrapp arrestor. XR's Only also offers the piston kits with good prices and help. The suspension is easily made trail worthy. A set of straight rate springs, for your weight, will make a big difference. I also like to add a UNI filter, wich includes a high flow basket, and reroute the case breather up, with a single tube and a K&N breather filter.

------------------

AlynB

~SPONSOR~
Apr 12, 2001
Thanks for the input everyone.
I know the engine mods cost about $600,
does anyone know an approx. price on suspension mods. that would be race worthy?
I also know it wont have the power of my 400, but the power of the WR is partly what makes it such a handful in the woods.
Thanks again.

------------------

kiwi_925

Jan 29, 2001
My dad used to have one and i used to race it in mx, but in a straight line drag with a KLX 250 it would get it staright away but in the top end the KLX would leave it for dead. But in overall mx it is alot better, better power alround, more of it to use, but the suspension wasnt anywhere near as good as the KLX, we blew the shock on it so now we have a KX 250 shock, and KX125 springs in the front of it, which are just SO much better than what was on the XR.

------------------

DIRT TOOYH

Aug 17, 2000
Alan,

The xr with the 280 is a great trail bike and it has proven itself time and time again. I just sold my 1996 with a 280 kit and other mods, it was a rock solid trail bike. I did ride a few GNCC events and even placed in a few Enduros on that bike.
If you want to be serious about winning, the xr is not the machine, with bikes like the Wr 250, the xr is out dated. Sure you can bore, spring, carb and gear it but even then it won't compair.
It may be 3 years or more, but when honda comes out with the next generation of XR's, it might return to the king it was in 1996.. Back when Scott Summers was winning every GNCC back to back on a XR.

My .02
Dirt Tooth

------------------

XR_Rider_18

Jul 31, 2007
XREnduroKid said:
has anyone ridden a XR250 and XR280? is there a big enough difference to pay almost $600? If there is i want you to e-mail me and tell me. Thanks

------------------
Ride Red
The sweet smell of sap after being smacked in the face by a pine -Enduro

I have a 1996 280 and it absolutely walks over the 250 on the trails. The bottom end power is good for the tight stuff and overall is a great bike.

Top Bottom