Feb 28, 2004
Hey guys. I was gonna buy myself ramps for my pick up truck to load and unload the bike. Then I found the single, wide ATV ramp and thought that would be even better, let alone safer. Now I see they sell a T-shaped carrier that slides in a receiver hitch, and that carries the bike. I thought that looked like an excellent idea and was very interested in getting it, but before I do, I wanted to hear from others who have maybe tried it. Anyone here have one of these and if so, how good does it work? Would I just be better off keeping the bike in the bed? The thing is I have nowhere to hook a tiedown in the bed of my truck. The carrier thing comes with loops to hook tiedowns to. It looks like a good idea. The only part I dont like is having the bike outside the bed if something was ever to happen and the bike wanted to fall over. If it falls over in the bed, atleast its still in the bed. If it falls over on that thing, goodbye bike. Are they made pretty well, and worth buying, or steer clear of it? I wanted to get some input from you guys before I buy it. Its like $280 the one I was looking to get. Thanks in advance for the advice. Mike :)

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Wrong Forum. Moved.

RACINRAY

Feb 18, 2004
bike carrier

do a search of this forum you will find lots on the subject i do have a carrier but what i did is took the best things from the ones i saw and built it my self having a carrier works awsome no looking back at the days of trying to turn a truck trailer around on a logging road ibuilt my own because in canada carriers are $850.00 to buy cheaper to buy a welder and do it youre self .

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
my brother-in-law has that one and it looks really nice. It lowers so you don't have to lift the bike very high to get it on. It has a hydraulic arm that lifts the bike up off the ground. It uses 2 metal pins/levers that hold the frame so no tie downs needed. Best one I have seen. Doesn't wobble much either.

Feb 28, 2004
Yea, that one is pretty cool, but the one I had in mind has a little ramp that attaches so you can walk it up and then tie it down. The one I am considering is from www.discountramps.com. Its called the Moto-Tote M3 motorcycle carrier. Looks like a nice unit. It can be loaded from either side, I guess depending on which way you put it together?!? I have a pick up truck though, so will I look and feel kind of funny driving around, having the bike outside the bed and not in the bed? I dont know, this just looked like a good idea to me. I bought a nice receiver hitch today and will be installing it tomorrow as long as we arent too busy at work. Thanks for your opinions so far. Mike :)

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
They're great. I built my own as well for ~$50. All my buddies loved it so I had to build more! So much easier having the bike lower to the ground and securely cinched down into the channel...and of course are perfect if using an SUV since no trailer headaches. Even buddies with enclosed trailers use their hauler I made for them if just taking one bike.

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
I have a moto-tote it is built pretty well and works fine.

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
Ive seen that add -a-bike before and the arm left indentions (sp?) in the seat during long drives. Guy was not happy with it. Just a heads up...

Feb 28, 2004
Scott, thanks for the reply. Is the one you have the Moto-Tote M3 like Im looking into getting? Is it bolted together? It says you can load the bike from the left or right, I guess depending on which way you bolt it together?? Thanks for the replies.

Spectra, yea looking at it, I can see how that would happen. It also looks like it would scratch the plastics if the bike moved back and forth any little bit. Do you have an SVT vehicle of some sort? Just curious about the SVT in your name. Maybe a Cobra, Lightning? :) Mike :thumb:

Feb 28, 2004
Cool, heres where we go "off-topic" a little, lol! My friend had a 2000 black Lightning with a good deal of modifications that was extremely fast, then he traded it in for a white 2003 Cobra coupe, another sweet ride. I myself have a 97 Camaro SS 6 spd, which Im trying to sell, and a 92 Chevy pick up truck, which this bike carrier is going on. By the way, you have good taste in bikes, LOL. :laugh: Ok, lets get back on topic. Mike :thumb:

GSXR_Drew

Nov 2, 2003
I have been using the Motojack Rack since November. All in all, it is sweet. For me to ride, I have to drive about 100 miles round trip. The MJR keeps the bike secure, doesn't compress your forks, and to top it all off, I don' t have to rely on tie downs! I have never trusted tie downs...to many horror stories of them letting go. IF you get the MJR, you will be happy.

GSXR_Drew

Nov 2, 2003
Good Choice!! I use mine every weekend and love it...Be sure to get the gas can holder as well. I knew I needed it the first time I had the gas can in my 4Runner...

motoyoyo

~SPONSOR~
Apr 9, 2002
I bought a new 4X4 Dodge Ram last year and the bed is really high. I avoided loading a bike in it for a long time because I thought I might have trouble getting the bike in and out without help. I finally figured out how to do it easily, and can load and unload bikes by myself now. I bought a MSR bike crate (the blue one) that I use directly under the tailgate to stand on. I use it as a step getting in and out of the truck bed while the bike is on a standard loading ramp. Now I don't even hesitate loading or unloading bikes, with or without help.

Feb 28, 2004
Moto, you could just buy one wide ATV ramp, and ride the bike up and into the truck, and the ramp is wide enough so you can put your feet down if you feel like you are about to fall over or whatever. I believe the ramp is about 45 or 48 inches wide, depending on which one you get of course. I looked into that option and it would have worked, but when I discovered the dirtbike carriers, I thought that was a really cool idea and thats what Im leaning towards. Mike

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
Ditto on the bike choice...haven't regretted buying the YZ yet. Awesome bike!!

And the Lightning is my dream vehicle! At least my dream bike was affordable...the lightning is way out of my price range. Some day!!!

Top Bottom