orange warning light on. 1974 dt100

THREADLOCK

Mar 30, 2005
I just finished restoring my 1973 dt250 and got her running last night. Unbelivable!!! It started after about 20 kicks. Now my son tells me that our 1974 dt100 has an organge warning light on in the speedo.
The speedo has three small lights. A green one (neutral); a blue one (high beam) and an orange one. I do not know what the orange light is for. It is definitly a warning light. I have checked the crank case oil level and its fine. I have put in a new plug and run thru all the basics. But the light is still on.
Does anyone know what this light is for???

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
Hmmm....

Ive got three lights on my Kaw enduro...(also oil injected)

Green- neutral
Blue- high beam
Orange-- turn signals....although it glows faintly all the time, it lights up when the blinkers are on.

I can tell you that my '77 Yamaha DT had the oil warning system, but my '76 did not.

I dont think the '73 DT had any kind of warning system either. I checked my fiches for that year, and there was no sending unit, or any wires at all coming off the tank as there was for the '77

Whatever it is, I dont think its for the oil.

Santaaa

May 28, 2005
That is an indicator light letting you know that your turn signals are on. The switch must be turned to turn either way it will light up when you do that. I have a 1980 DT100G I am restoring. If you do not have the switch on the bike contact your Yamaha dealer as I would be stumped then. By putting the switch in the center it should stop it from lighting up. Let me know if this fixes the problem.

THREADLOCK

Mar 30, 2005
Thank you everyone for your replies and your help. Here's the crazy part... I have had the bike for 3 years. I have dissconnected the oil injector and the blinker module is smashed. I actually took the module apart and gutted it. This light hasn't been on for 3 years.
I am going to check both of these areas for eletrical connections that have reactivated. This bike may really have started a whole new life.

Thanks again
Threadlock

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
check for a bad ground, especially if you have multiple circuits sharing the same ground post/connection.usually associated with strange symptoms<sp?> ie. turn on a turn signal and the running lights start flashing etc... possible that a particular circuit isn,t going correctly to ground and bleeding over to the orange light circuit finding an incorrect ground.

THREADLOCK

Mar 30, 2005
ground check

Thanks for the advice. Now that I think about it, my son
washed the bike the day the light started coming on. I'll
have to invest in some eletrical tape.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Hey, I'd just be impressed that the little orange light still works. :)

Top Bottom