Yamaholley

Jul 12, 2001
we are planning a dunes trip for September...and hoping that some of you might be interested...
we are open for either Sept. 14-16, or Sept 21-23.
We usually camp at Spinreel Campground.....www.spinreel.com
or at the Oregon Dunes KOA.
Hopefully some DRNers can make it...:)

Yamaholley

Jul 12, 2001
September 21-23

it's official...we are going on those dates....
if anyone would like to join us, we'd be happy to meet you there!
We will be camping at Spinreel, you can ride onto the dunes right from the campground.
There are no hookups, and I believe it's $10-15 per night, can't remember.
the link is www.spinreel.com for info about the area and where it is.
We hope to see some of you there :)

wr200r

Jun 8, 2000
A few of my friends and I just got back from there, lots of sun and lots of fun. We were thinking of going back that weekend because it is our last before our fall classes start, but we will probably stay at Winchester because the hills are bigger. And I have yet to try Banshee hill on my KTM. Banshee= 350cc KTM=300cc Should be possible:p

Yamaholley

Jul 12, 2001
awwwweeee!!! maybe we should meet up somewhere that weekend...
Spinreel is always so....not crowded....maybe Winchester is that way as well?
Last year we went to Florence the 2nd weekend in October and got really lucky, it was fantastic weather!
We figure that we should go a bit earlier this year, so we'll see...
doesn't seem like anyone from DRN is into it. We usually have a bunch of riders going, but so far, it's just us...(2 riders)

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I will hesitantly say we're into it as well . . . there's no races that weekend and Steve's been wanting to go. I will take a book and some notebooks if my knee is not up to it but hopefully I will be able to ride too. The only thing is the drive . . . it's quite a ways for us.

dual-sporter

Jun 2, 1999
sept 29-30

my brother & i are going down for his birthday (21st!!) and are now in the process of doing a complete rebuild on his quad, parts are in the mail right now, we had his frame & some other parts sand-blasted yesterday, painted most of them today. have to finish the rebuild on the engine this week... friday night we go to tri-cities to borrow a truck & enclosed trailer from our parents to make the trip...
we haven't determined where we'll ride or stay yet. if anybody is there that weekend it'd be great to meet you.

Freeride2002

Sep 11, 2001
Have any of you guys checked out Winchester bay? Some buddies and I were down there and if you like big hits this is the place to go. Its relatively small compared to florence but theres some sick hillclimbs and plenty of hits to keep you busy.

Yamaholley

Jul 12, 2001
we haven't been to Winchester Bay...just to Florence in the north end, and Spinreel in the South end. We've heard it's great, but kinda crowded.
I wish Spinreel had some bigger hits, but you can't beat it for no people, and the beach riding is so awesome.
It's a better place for beginners, and people with smaller size bikes as well.

funktree

~SPONSOR~
Jul 21, 2001
I wont be able to make this trip, but I had a couple questions about the areas.
how long is the season up there? When does it get too cold to camp.

Which place would be best for a range of riders? My friend have both been riding about a year and ride 250s. I ve been riding about 10 years and love jumping my 426. none of us has ever ridden dunes.Is there an area that wuold be good for all of us?

Ive heard theres a sound requirement up there. true?

wr200r

Jun 8, 2000
It doesn't ever really get too cold to camp, but it gets very wet. It rains a lot starting in mid-October and lasting through June. I was at Winchester for three days last February and had a lot of fun, you just have to ride between rain showers.

I would probably reccomend spinreel for first-timers. It isn't as busy as the others, and there is still a lot of open dunes. Ride there for a day or two and you will probably be ready to drive up to Winchester to ride some big hills.

There are sound limits, which I believe have moved down from 99db's to 94db's this year. You can get more info and pictures at http://oohva.org/ohv area pages/odnraarea.html

funktree

~SPONSOR~
Jul 21, 2001
hehe didnt even think about the rain. i assume theres no kind of green sticker like requirement. What about those flags i see in pictures? Do you have to have a flag on your bike? ill check out that link you gave.

Yamaholley

Jul 12, 2001
Wr200r is correct, the rainy season starts usually in mid Oct. But we went last year at the end of Oct. and it was beatiful, you just never know. We went in January and it rained quite a bit, but usually a downpour, then sun. I don't think we've ever been down there when it rained the entire weekend.
We go year around, but we have a trailer, I don't think I'd want to do it in a tent...
Spinreel is great, easy stuff for beginners, with some really good hills as well. It's never crowded down there either.
You don't need a green sticker, the flags are only required on quad, dune/rail buggys, and vehicles.
you just need a current off road sticker. I'm not sure about the decible level this year.

bbbom, too bad you can't make it, looks like we're going with just our family for this one since nobody else can make it :(

It's supposed to rain this weekend, so we'll see how it is down there!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
We were planning on it . . . until I trashed my knee again this weekend. :( Now I can't go anywhere. I'm sorry. I was really looking forward to the trip.

wr200r

Jun 8, 2000
You don't have to have flags on motorcycles right now, but when I was down there a few weeks ago there were signs that said motorcycles will be required to have them also starting sometime in October, I don't remember the exact date. I just don't know where to put a flag on a motorcycle.

Top Bottom