Organized Ride in Upper Michigan?

dix

Nov 24, 2001
I'm curious to see if there is anyone interested in an organized ride here in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. We have a million miles of trails and some very technical and difficult hill climbing. I know spring is a long way off, but I thought I might see if there was an interest. I'd love to take a bunch of riders on a tour of my back yard!! Let me know!!!

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Dix,

Sounds good to me. I have ridden a couple of times at Brevort and once at Drummond Island. Do you know Magoo? How about Ken Contois? Ken is a good friend of mine. He said we need to wait until June to ride in the U.P.
Stay in touch.

Mike Jr/

dix

Nov 24, 2001
Organized Ride in Upper Michigan

FatherandSon,

We started riding again last year in early April. Most all of the snow is usually gone by the middle of April. Brevort is about 2 hours east of the places that I ride, and it is somewhat flat in that area. You should really try riding Marquette County. The terrain is much more fun in the central upper section of the U.P. Some great sand pits that even a 250 has difficulty climbing. Look inot riding Black Mountain sometime too. You can find more info on that my going to the Mich DNR website.

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
Dix, I forgot to tell you the other night that the pit behind the Board of Light and Power in MQT is no more. The hauled most of the sand out to build the Wright st.

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Man, this is just the thing ive been looking for.Myself and some friends were contemplating a trip up there in early summer.
We went to West Virginia and rode the Hatfield- McCoy trails this past August, what a blast. But when talk turned to where to go on the next years trip, I suggested the UP. You see, I used to live in Michigan , around the Beaverton area. It was in the late seventys and I was still in high school, but there seemed to be alot of riding areas around. All of my riding buddys at the time used to brag about the UP.
So lets stay in contact, there is a very real possibility that we may do this. You whould have a few south Fla. riders and one crazy Ca. rider to show around.

later mxbundy

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
We started riding again last year in early April.
What a beut that one was. Remeber that sip hole the swallowed my bike and sent a wave muck showering down on me. Could have did without that.

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
With enough of a notice I would come up and ride. Make a nice 4 day weekend. The wife would get to see some new scenery and I could ride something differant.

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
dix
I live 50 miles south of Chicago. I have wanted to ride up there ever since i saw something about that Parts Unlimited ride, and heard about the six days of Michigan enduro. Count me in. It would be 2 or 3 of us, 2 are very experienced 1 learning fast. If you could let me know in plenty of time, I dont think it would be any problem getting up there. Email me at sned@famvid.com.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I'd be interested in a UP ride.

I've got an RV and trailer that I can bring up there for an extended stay. I've wanted to get up there but didn't make it last summer. Maybe 2002?

dix

Nov 24, 2001
Chris,

Where do you go to school. If you are speaking of NMU, you are right in the heart of some awesome riding country. Are you aware of the traila near Marquette Mountain. E-mail me for more details. dix@isp360.net

nate_z

Sep 2, 2001
riding in the up

Hey do you go to NMU or Tech, I go to Tech and usually keep my bike up here. Anyways, my family owns dealerships in Marquette and Escanaba and we are always ready to go for a good ride. Usually the best time to ride in the Marquette area is the end of April or beginning of May because the ferns haven't come up yet and you can ride around in different lines. Since there is going to be the Roselawn enduro on April 7 and the Byron enduro on April 14, April 21st or 28th would be an awesome weekend to get something together. Marquette is getting to be a pretty popular place to ride, so make sure to find a local and they can show you the good places. ;) Hey Ben are you still getting one of those 500's:debil:

Miltonyz

Sponsoring Member
Apr 12, 2001
Been up to Drummond fir a weekend once this year. We also went to a coupla other systems up there one weekend. Can't remember which ones exactly as my dad does the driving there and I just sleep. I remember Drummond because that was the hardest riding I have ever done.

dix

Nov 24, 2001
Hey Nate Z,

You must be a Zambon!! If so, I bought my bike from Eugene at the Escanaba store. Is that your uncle or dad. I live in Escanaba, which puts Marquette at a real good half-way point to meet up and ride. A couple of my buddies, one of which is bwalker, are really familiar with the trails around there. Hell, I even lived in Marquette up until 1998. We may have even passed each other on a trail a time or two. Are you familiar with Ross's track in in Sands twp.?

nate_z

Sep 2, 2001
Yeah Eugene's my uncle. I've probably ridden more laps around
Ross' track than anyone. cweingartz, you should give me a call
@ 483-6168 definetely bring your bike up, there is a ton of fun riding
around Houghton. the mx track is fun plus I know some people from
up here and there is a bunch of cool off-road stuff. Plus there is the
]ORV trail by L'Anse. I've never ridden there but I hear it is pretty fast.
Hey mxbundy, a guy from West Virginia came to the UP to do an internship at the mine
and he said he liked riding in the UP better than WV, he said
he missed the hills though.

dheard4992

Feb 25, 2001
rosses track

hey nathan,i hope school is going well at tech. someone mentioned rosses track and today i was out there. i had some guys practicing sno-cross for duluth next weekend and it was pretty neat.the sleds were overjumping everything and mike gents was out there and he can hang with the guys that run the pro class real well.everyone else was up from wisconsin

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Nate Z,

When is the enduro in Marquette? Ken C. has helped at the Jack Pine four or five times. I owe you guys some help at your enduro and what to get it on my calendar.
Jack Pine and Pine Cone (family enduro) will be August 3 and 4 (the week before the National Enduro).

Mike Jr.

nate_z

Sep 2, 2001
Marquette's enduro is on June 23rd. We wanted
July 21st but the Michigan National Hare Scrambles is that
weekend so we moved up the enduro. That would have been sweet to see
Mike racing with those pros on Ross' track. I talked to him over
my Thanksgiving break and it seemed he wasn't too anxious to race his sled this winter.
Oh well.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I haven't ridden in about 17 years, but am getting back in to riding by buying a KDX 220 next spring. I would be very interested in a U.P. ride, but would need a little time to get my dirt legs back! :eek: I live about 45 minutes northeast of Detroit.

Top Bottom