BigBearJoe

Oct 4, 2003
Sorry this is such short notice on this ride. I'm new to these internet m/c forums and just recently learned about DRN. The below "flyer" has been posted on several other m/c forums so I thought I'd also post it here for anyone who might be interested........

I've been mulling over the idea of putting together a seriously hardcore endurance ride here in the San Bernardino mountains for a while now. Over the years I've met and heard of guys who really enjoy long days in the saddle and pride themselves on covering a lot of distance in a day's ride. Being one of those types of guys, I'd like to find some other like minded looneys and spend a seriously punishing day running around the forest.

So I've finally decided to do this ride and I've scheduled it for Sat. Oct. 11. The general plan is to do about 300 miles and a complete loop around the entire San Bernardino Forest, excluding the San Jac for now. That would be from the east side of Big Bear around Rattlesnake Canyon all the way over to the Wrightwood/Baldy Mesa area and back to Big Bear along the front side of the Forest (City Creek/1N09/Angelus Oaks/Onyx Summit.

I've laid out the entire "Orgy" course in my Garmin Mapsource program. Since I don't have complete "tracks" for the entire course, I had to fill in the gaps with less accurate "routes", but my best estimate is that, yes indeed, it should come out to be right around 300 miles.

So far I've got myself and 3 other long distance looneys who are booked for this one. The plan is for all of us to meet (ready to ride) at the large parking turnout on Hwy. 38, about 2.2 miles up from the Mill Creek Ranger Station (at the base of 1N12/Thomas Hunting Grounds road), at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 11.

This is going to be one gnarly course. Here's a quick "flyover" from east to west and back.....

Rattlesnake Canyon, Blackhawk Mtn. Jacoby Canyon, John Bull, down to the desert near Lucerne, Silver Creek, Grapevine Canyon, Bowen's Ranch, Mojave Dam, Honda Valley, Baldy Mesa, Wrightwood, Lone Pine Canyon, Lytle Creek Divide, Mount Baldy, San Sevaine, Marshall Peak, City Creek, 1N09, 1N16, Seven Oaks Dam, Thomas Hunting Grounds, Angelus Oaks, Forsee Creek, 1N04, Heartbar, Coon Creek, Onyx Summit, Juniper Springs, Round Valley, Burns Canyon

FWHOOOOO!!!!!! Let me know if there are anymore interested long distance lunatics. The terrain will be challenging and we plan to ride hard (consistant and steady) with very few and short gas/snack breaks.

We're starting at about 8 am and hopefully finishing sometime around 11 p.m. or midnight, so good headlights would be needed. This ride would reqire dual sports since we'll need to be on quite a bit of pavement to do the loop. The route includes as much challenging terrain as possible. If all goes well, I'd like to make this an annual event.

So let me know if you up for a truly challenging ride

Last edited:

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Joe - good luck and be careful. I don't have plates and I think 300 miles would be too much for me to handle in a day anyway.

But - if you ever want to cut it down to 100 or so I might give it a shot (as long as we don't need plates) ... you could give us a nice tour of the area I bet. Plus we would need gas ...

Anyway - have an epic time !

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I'm with Eel; give us a green sticker run and I'm interested. You'd probably have to plan it so that we were staged at the crossing point of a big figure 8 though so us 2-smokers could gas up between loops!
Good luck, and have fun. The most miles I've ever covered in one day was 200. (All off road, no pavement, on a thumper.)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom