zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I'm about done with my current pair of Shift Squadron pants (very old design, no zip off legs, no spandex ventilation at all).... they're pretty old & offer zero ventilation. Otherwise, I like them well enough. I've worn O'Neal Apocalypse pants & like them better (very comfy, full length liner, good ventilation) but they have no cargo pockets, which I've really come to appreciate. I'm looking to try the new Troy Lee Moto pants, but can't find them in a shop to check out in person. Anyone have them? Throttlehead has them on sale for $79... that's a pretty good deal.

So far I've seen the new Apocalypse pants, & don't like them because of the zip off legs-- feels like the zipper would rub the inside of my knees raw. Same for the new Shift Squadron pants, the Answer Freestylus, AXO Persuit, etc. Same goes for the Thor Static pants. I didn't care for the Fox Panther pants, but that was mostly aesthetic reasons, and they didn't have a full liner either. I don't need a super ventilated pant, as I've gotten used to heat after riding/living in Fresno for so long.

I tried wearing a regular style pair of MX pants last ride & coudln't stand it. They restricted my leg movement, felt all bunchy inside my boot, and my boot kept snagging all over the bike. So it's gotta be OTB from now on.

Any input from fellow OTB wearers is appreciated!!!

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I've worn the AXO's and they worked well, but they could really have used a fastener system on the bottom leg cuff (the pant leg would get snagged on the kickstarter). This year, I bought the Troy Lee OTB pants, and love them. They have an adjustable waist, zippered (and velcro) boot cuffs, two cargo pockets, and decent ventilation. They have a fairly loose fit through the legs and are very comfortable. I paid $89 from my local shop (minus my discount). I think that they are a fantastic pant, with a very reasonable price. I'll probably buy them again in a year or two, when this pair wears out. I highly reccommend them. I actually compared them to the shift (for fit, etc., in the store), and I think that you will be happy with the TLD's.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Zio,

I had the same feeling about the zipper in the leg, but I have been wearing a pair of black Shift pants that have the removable lower leg & I do not notice the zipper.
The new Thor pant is made of what appears to be a very rugged codura. My next pants will prolly be the tan Thors.
If you want, I have the Thor, Shift, Moose, & Fox OTB pants for 05 in stock. Maybe next time your over the hill you can stop in & try them on.

FJ

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I just got the '05 Tan thors today and jersey I hope they hold up well more like the Shift ones well my old ones anyways.

RoostRider

Uhhh...
Aug 24, 2004
I wear the Thor Static. I have never noticed the zipper anymoreso than the fact that I sometimes open it a bit to get ventilation (it works great!). It does not rub anywhere that has ever bothered me.

They have pockets (I'm so glad the manufacturers finaly clued in on that one), are pretty water resistant, complete with gaitors (for that 'one instant over the boot' protection).

The only thing I didn't like was that they got snagged on things sometimes (mostly the kick starter). I put a snap on the legs, to tighten them on the boot, and have been happy as a clam in the sand ever since.

I would recommend zip off legs to you (just as I do my friends) cause they are comfy as all get out for 'down' time... no venting breathes as good as shorts!

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
Farmer John said:
If you want, I have the Thor, Shift, Moose, & Fox OTB pants for 05 in stock. Maybe next time your over the hill you can stop in & try them on.

FJ

Farmer John....where is your store? I work in Santa Clara.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Well I shunned FJ, RR & the pimp's advice (still working on a witty comeback for the Green Giant), and went with the TLD Moto. I'll let you all know what I think after this next weekend.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
SpectraSVT said:
Farmer John....where is your store? I work in Santa Clara.

I don't think he has a store... just a closet in the basement with a cot, some lube, and a GQ magazine.

Top Bottom