Other things you can do to level yourself off

Jeremy Havlik

Sep 10, 2000
Ive always been told that when you are looping out on a jump to pull in the clutch and hit the back brake. This has worked for me, but not if the nose is too vertical. Ive seen riders not even hit the back brake, they just lean over their front fender and it goes down, Is this a better technique then hitting the back brake?

------------------

mxer_69

Dec 14, 2000
Try leaning forward and lifting your right leg off the peg and bring it forward about 8 inches....helps alot but you have to be confident in your abilities.

------------------

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
I have a technique that works pretty good for me. Hit the jump going faster than normal and soak up all the rebound. Then to get the front end down Put your head over the bars but your but about mid seat and let off the throttle according to how much adjustment you need. Some jumps you can let off the throttle all the way while others you only have to let off slightly.

------------------

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
You’re better off using body English, if you can, to control the position of the bike in the air. Hitting the rear brake works but it can kill the engine if you forget to clutch and it can hurt your drive when you land.

------------------
Did I do the double?
Ah,um...Sure did. I was right behind you!
My Pictures

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
maybe it's just me, but I usually don't have time to unfreeze my death-grip when this happens. It's a lot of fun when you nail a jump but when things go wrong I'm usually in panic mode. I have been lucky more times than not and managed to save the landing. Even had one guy comment on how cool that fender kiss was. All I said was "thanks" and proceeded to go clean out my riding pants. What's the trick to getting your brain to force your limbs to work in these conditions?

------------------
you never really learn to swear until you learn to ride.

Jewell

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
maybe it's just me, but I usually don't have time to unfreeze my death-grip when this happens.
Man, I feel your pain. I do the exact same thing. Whats just as bad is that people like us have heart attacts on the approach to every big jump. I too have landed many times either on the front tire or back tire but some how always pull it off. One of these times though.......

Wouldn't it be cool if they made these little pills that would make you ride like the pro's. Like the little blue ones would make you jump like McGrath, and the little yellow ones like Pastrana.

I want a landing pad made of nerf!

Seriously is there any way to help us mentaly challenged jumpers. I mean when I go to practice I still freeze up. Maybe I will just stay on the trail.

------------------
1997 Kx 125
1997 GSX-R 750
Pullin a wheely between a rock and a hard place.

[This message has been edited by Jewell (edited 04-19-2001).]

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
hahaha - there was a TV commercial with a peewee football player whose mother had sent him out all wrapped up in bubble-wrap, over his football pads. Maybe that's what I need. Maybe I should make one for MoO, also.

------------------
you never really learn to swear until you learn to ride.

Hokie

Sponsoring Member
Sep 28, 2000
Re: Other things you can do to level yourself off

Xanax! The highs aren't so high, but then the lows aren't so low.......wait a minute...this isn't my headshrinker forum.......

Originally posted by slo' mo:
What's the trick to getting your brain to force your limbs to work in these conditions?

Try it out on a small jump when you don't really need it. Hit the jump, the rev it a little and see what happens. Or hit the jump, pull in the clutch, and step on the rear brake.

I still don't have the rear brake one hard wired into my brain yet. The rev one is pretty much on auto pilot now.

Too many nose down take offs to count....

------------------
Believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see.

roostinbe

Mar 22, 2001
buffmaster said it. it all just takes practice. hours and hours. My dad often askes me about things that i do, and i just tell him, " all those days, when i come home from school and throw on my riding gear... yeah, well, those amount to being calm, and controled." thats all braking, or panick-revving is. just bike control. it just takes a lot of time and will to learn to jump well. but then... you will have arrived, except you won't have noticed it, because you will be better, and looking for something better. so practice hard, have a method to your practice, and have fun realizing how you have progressed! that is really what this sport is all about. recently i realized that i might be making choices and contacts that will shape my riding career. and when one of my now-sponsors asked me how i would look at the sport, i told her that it was my passion, and i would never see it as my job. so just remember that it is all about having fun, and fun can be crusing trails, or tearing it up on your favorite track.

------------------
Brandon YZ 250

[This message has been edited by roostinbe (edited 04-21-2001).]

cr250john

Jun 14, 2000
Originally posted by slo' mo:
maybe it's just me, but I usually don't have time to unfreeze my death-grip when this happens. It's a lot of fun when you nail a jump but when things go wrong I'm usually in panic mode.

That's ME. Just this weekend I hesitated on a small (very small) double, cased the face of the jump which tore my hand off the throttle. I was able to hold on with my knees and steer with my left hand enough to roll over the remaining portion of the jump. The wrist still hurts some today but continued riding the rest of the day. I have been able to try the "panic rev" to bring the front end up but haven't had enough "air time" to try the brake tap yet. (I'm Skeered)

On the other hand, my two boys (12 & 14) ride CR80's and CLEARED a big (to me anyhow) 20 foot table top for the first time. I was on the MX track at the jump watching them when I heard them BOTH (one behind the other) roll on the throttle at the face of the jump. Well to my amazement they cleared it. Now I can change MY shorts.

Maybe the kids can give the "old man" a lesson or two - ya think?

I still hesitate on the face of the jump which causes me all kinds of trouble. I just can't bring myself to keep the throttle on. Fear of the unknown I guess - or is it old age? (I'm 48)

So Jeremy.... I guess the best answer I can give you is body position on "take-off" and practice-practice-practice. That's what I need.

------------------
cr250john
Mine '00 CR-250 - '95 Yamaha Virago XV-750
Kids '01 CR-80's

scott_ktm

Feb 13, 2001
As others have said practice. Find a small jump, tabletops are good 10' to 15' , and purposely let off the gas on the face of the jump. Knowing what will happen, nose will drop in the air, be ready to gas it. While in the air rev it till you fell the effect, nose comes up, then let off a little. Just the opposite hit the gas on the lip and the front goes high, then just tap the rear brake, don't slam it and hold it, just a quick jab. After a while it becomes second nature. Trust me many times I have seen the ground coming up at my face real fast and I twist the throtle like I am trying to blow the engine up. At the same time I have locked the rear brake and killed it landing with brake on engine dead. These beat the alternatives. Once you get these tricks down there are other ways to make slight corrections. One is taking either foot and lifting it as if you are trying to hook your heel on the rear number plate and pull it up. This forces your body forward and brings the nose down. Watch the more experienced riders at the races and you will pick up some of these tricks.

------------------
“ If we weren’t all crazy we would go insane” Jimmy Buffett
'99 KTM 380sx

Randy KX125

Sep 6, 2000
Roostinbe -

You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. Keep that attitude and you will go far. Good Luck. :)

Randy KX125

------------------

Top Bottom