Ottawa, IL Variety Riders Dist. 17 Hare Scramble

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
Anyone planning to ride the Variety Riders annual hare scramble race this Sunday at Trumbo Farm in Ottawa? I believe the race starts at 11 and it’s located on the southwest corner of Route 71 and I-80. I’ve ridden it a couple of times and it’s been a good course in the past…probably a four or five mile loop with lots of singletrack, trees, plenty of elevation changes, a rocky creek to negotiate and a ride through a concrete tunnel that passes underneath I-80. I plan to be there.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Go east to the next exit past 23, or exit for route 71, then go south a little ways like few hundred feet and I think the entrance is right there. They only use the property once a year for bike ONLY HS races. So it should be a real nice HS race that way. In fact I don't think they even have youth classes so the course will likely be technical and challenging.

Have a great ride there, we are off to the State Championship weekend at LTM casey IL>.

wardy

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
Wardy is right, Wolf. If you’re coming from the west off of I-39 heading east on 80, you want the second Ottawa exit, Route 71 and head south. The hare scrambles course is right there, the southwest corner of 71 and I-80. It’s conveniently located directly across the street from the adult bookstore and adjoining gentlemen’s club. You can’t miss it!

I think you’ll enjoy the course. As Wardy mentioned, it’s virgin terrain that is only used once a year for the hare scrambles race and setting it up. It’s more technical than most courses. In some ways, that’s good and some ways, bad. But it’s a lot of fun and definitely worth coming out for.

Wardy- good luck at Casey this weekend! Everyone have a safe ride.

James980

Dec 29, 1999
Originally posted by wardy
In fact I don't think they even have youth classes so the course will likely be technical and challenging.

That's right, no youth and NO QUADS!

Still, I'm sure that won't keep that fast kid on the RM85 from catching me by the second loop.

James

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
By far the best Dist 17 Hare Scramble on the list. Very hilly, always tight, well run, tight, technical, good for spectators, so on. Ill be there for sure. KTM 400 with 515v on number plate.

A couple years ago it rained all night all morning and was pouring when we pulled in the gate. They waited it out, the rain stopped and they set up a very short course of maybe 2 miles. Most fun I ever had.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
They don't have a youth class, so Chris and I won't be there. We will probably just ride one of the MX practice days this weekend if the weather holds out.

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
As jsned said, this is the best HS in Dist 17. I wish the Geneseo Enduro wasn't the same day. I had a blast last year and was hoping to ride it again this year, but I can't miss a all new enduro.

Hope everyone that is going has fun!

AnneBrooks

Jan 17, 2001
Fun for the spectators also!! I always enjoy watching this race! I will be there, camera in hand....

Ryan, good luck in Geneseo....Wardy, good luck in Casey! See you guys next time..Jeff, see you Sunday..

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
Everyone have a good ride? It was a tight, technical course and very dry. We definitely could’ve used some rain, but it was still a lot of fun. I finished 2nd in +30B and had a fun ride. Hope everyone else who attended also had fun.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
That was some cool stuff. Probably the most fun trails I have ridden all year.
Unfortunately a busted radiator and clutch lever, and a thumb injury forced me out of this thing after 2 laps. The hill with everybody stuck on it sent me tumbling from the very top to the very bottom....much to the entertainment of the other guys sitting at the bottom, waiting for their turn.
The variety riders seem to be a nice bunch of guys, who know how to put on a cool event. Thank You!
Bob, was Anne wearing a yellow shirt and vid. cam. in hand? I was trying to look for you, but ran a little late in the morning...sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you.

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
Had a great time. I would love to own that land. Couldnt be used for anything else and I am glad. I heard that the race has been put on since 1947 (I m sure thats what someone said) and the land has been owned by the Trumbo family since. They only let the club (Variety riders only) get in 6 weeks to setup and 2 weeks to tear down and other than that noone rides there ever. Something definitely to look forward to each year.

That offcamber hill sure did look like it was giving some guys real problems. and that 60-70 foot section of muddy rocky (not the stream after the tunnel) slick as heck what ever you call it with the little 2 foot high bank on the out side had a lot of guys wondering "why do I do this".

Very good time.

Not much left in Dist 17 this year for HS's. Kingman is next week but I dont care for that place. The one after that in Glasford (CIDRA) is cancelled I heard. the rest are Casey.

So someone make a date for Buffalo range. A little Dirtweek for us.

Top Bottom