Ouch, cylinder. Come on warranty

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I thought I would start a post here in case people were interested in following my problem.

My bike is a 2003 KDX 220, but I purchased it brand spankin new this summer, so my warranty is good till January 2nd, 2005. I put it down for winter already, since I've got lots and lots of mods I plan on doing (it's already a bare frame sitting in the spare bedroom :) ). Yesterday I pulled the cylinder to put in a new Wiseco and was shocked at what I saw. One, single, DEEP gouge in the cylinder wall. Everything looked perfect, even the piston. Then I noticed the pin that locates the end gap of the lower rings is not in the piston. The groove it left in the cylinder is probably .030" or more deep, pretty bad. It must have worked at it for a while.

So now it's time to see how well Kawasaki will back it's bikes. After work today I'm going to the local dealer (not where I got the bike, I didn't live here then) and see what they say. I'm hoping this post becomes one of those great experience with customer service type ones, and not one about getting screwed over. I just figured some people might be interested in following it, so I'd keep things posted.

Oh yea, the bike only has about 600 miles on it, is stone stock other than fork springs and lighting (dual sport). About 75% of it's use this summer was getting me to work and back.

mikdxer

Mar 6, 2003
Sorry to here about your bad luck. I bought my 2001 220 with 140 miles on it and immediately replaced the piston and rings do to all the horror stories I read on the 220 pistons. Hope they dont try and fall back on if you tore it down or not after break-in, and if you didn't, tell you its your problem. Good Luck!

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
That was way, way too easy. I took the mess up to the dealer (where I found out the dealer I actually bought the bike from is no longer around). The guy there looked at everything for about 1 minute, took down my numbers, and said he'd have me a cylinder and piston and rings ASAP. It was great, and I really was expecting a little more hassle than all that.

mikdxer

Mar 6, 2003
Glad to here they took care of your problem without a hassle. I'ts to bad we always expect the worse, it goes to show there is such a thing as good customer service after all. Don't forget to have them throw in the gasket set as well.

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
Glad you are getting great service. But, but... where is the lost piston/ring pin? Vanished throught the exhaust port I hope and not sitting down in the crank case... :yikes:

Good luck!

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
It looks as though it probably just got spit out. I hunted around in the lower end a ton and everything looks perfect, no extra pieces of shrapnal can be found. I'm just going to clean it out good, re-oil, and hope for the best.

Dealer called yesterday, all the parts should be in tomorrow. I talked to a few guys at work here and the general concensus is that the customer service at that shop is spectacular. I'd have to agree.

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
Going back with the stock piston? I'd recommend shooting for the Wiseco. No chance of that girl grenading on you....you have heard the stories about the stock piston grenading, right? ;)

Top Bottom