Out of state California OHV registration

KenR

Feb 20, 2002
Towards the middle of next month, I'll have the opportunity to get out of the snow and ride in some great southern California desert.

My bikes are registered in Utah. Can anyone tell me if I'll need to register them in California in order to ride? I've been to the CA DMV site and haven't found the answer...their phone is always busy.

Thanks!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
My understanding is if your bike is currently registered in your home state, you are legal to ride in CA.  There used to be a 'temporary' permit for riders that were unregsistered in their home states, but I don't think it was used often.

Come on out and have some fun.   FWIW, on most public lands out here you are required to have a USFS approved spark arrestor.

Last edited:

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
You can get an out of state OHV sticker at some Forest Service or BLM ranger stations, some bike shops carry them too. The DMV knows nothing about them.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Exactly, DMV has no clue. Kiwi is right.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I had one about 2yrs ago. If I remember correctly they are good for a year. I actually got checked before I had one but the ranger didn't ticket me as I showed him my OK plates and dl. Probably a good idea to carry your Utah dl with you on rides to prove you're not a native trying to beat the system.

mprest4

Nov 14, 2001
i moved to cali from tx. you just have to buy a out of state sticker and put it on your bike. you can get them at most mc shops. make sure you have a spark arrestor if you are going to be on public land. oh yeah, they will make you show your utah lic.

xTYBALTx

Mar 10, 2004
Sorry to resurrect this olllld topic, but I have to know. I'm no longer a CA citizen, now Wyoming. Are you saying I could ride a 2004 red stickered 2-stroke year round in CA with this out-of-state permit?

I was going to get my bike Wyoming plated and avoid the whole OHV registration thing altogether, but this could be even easier.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Yes but you should have an out of CA state driver's license or some proof you live out of CA.

velosapiens

Mar 18, 2002
if your bike is registered in any state, you do NOT need a non-resident sticker in california (or anywhere else as far as i know). if you are from nevada or somewhere that does not currently register ohv's, then you need a registration sticker to ride in oregon, california or idaho. i believe that a sticker from a state where you don't reside (like the idaho sticker on my 250sx) should also be good in other states where i don't reside (like california, thank god).

xTYBALTx

Mar 10, 2004
That's crazy. . . if you live in CA why not just buy a Wyoming registration and be done with it? Or Idaho reg for that matter?

Anyways, technically, my Wyoming sticker will be sufficient for riding in CA? That's a great weight off my shoulders!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
xTYBALTx said:
That's crazy. . . if you live in CA why not just buy a Wyoming registration and be done with it? Or Idaho reg for that matter?

Same reason we can't register our cars and get our driver's licenses from states that have cheaper fees.

We live in California, and the state insists on getting their cut of everything we do. If you live in California, own the bike in California and ride it in California, your choice is to pay California fees or be in violation.

Kiwi mentioned earlier if you are riding with an out of state registration on your dirt bike, you would be wise to have ID showing an out of state residence.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
dirt bike dave said:
Kiwi mentioned earlier if you are riding with an out of state registration on your dirt bike, you would be wise to have ID showing an out of state residence.

Right on, I was riding up at Kennedy Meadows with Kiwi and a ranger checked out my out of state sticker. He was very apprehensive until I showed him my OK drivers license.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
Don't put too much thought into it. If you are dez riding this time of year, you are not likely to run into BLM or anybody else for that matter.

Top Bottom