Outdoor national in North Texas

Stretch374

Apr 22, 2001
Outdoor national in North Texas

I want to know when were going to get an outdoor national here in North Texas?
I remember there being a post about this on DRN about six months ago that eluded that something may be happening but I never heard anything else.

I'm trying to decide wich national I will attend this year.

Let me see
Spring Creek - Millville, MN. only 965.8 miles from DFW
Kenworthy - Troy, HO. That’s only 1042.8 miles from DFW

Next to southern California the DFW area may be the next best place to live if you want to ride motorcross. Ok some may disagree with that but we have two great tracks in Moiser Valley and Village Creek that are both right in the DFW area and could easily hold a national race. Then just about an hour and a 1/2 out side the DFW area (depending on where you live) you have Lake Wintney and Swan where a national could also be held. There are also several small tracks and even some great places to ride trails both in the DFW area and with in a two hours drive away.

I have now doubt that a race in North Texas would be a huge success. People would come from all over TX, OK, NM, and LA to see this race, It would probably would break a record for attendance.
Both the Houston and the Dallas Supercross are huge successes selling out every year.

Unfortunately I wont be attending a national this year and probably not next year either, but who knows maybe one day there will be a national in North Texas and you better believe I'll be there.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
We here in Alabama are in the same boat. Troy is the closest national to us, and it's at least 600 miles away. We have a National-caliber track at Tallassee (Monster Mountain) but no National. Is the problem a lack of promoters? Somebody with vision and resources should consider putting something together. An early spring or late fall round would go over big here.

It's safe to guarantee a sellout if there ever is a National held in the Southeast.

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
You can almost bet that there won't be any new tracks added to the outdoor nationals schedule any time soon. Basically the NPG(National Promoters Group) which is made up of the track promoters for the current national tracks are not going to give up one of there dates for a new track to be added to the schedule. The current national tracks feel as though they have built the nationals into what they are and aren't going to let another track take there race away from them.

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
Yeah, that is the problem, the national promoters don't want to lose a race. But there are som beautiful tracks out there that could hold a national and draw a crowd. I think the Lake Whitney and Tyler(SWAN) are both better N. Texas tracks than the 2 already mentioned and look at Cooperland. Maybe we need to look at changing the national circuit every other year to race some of the other tracks out ther. Oh, yeah, there is nothing better than the sand whoops at Milleville or the deep Sand corner of Southwick but it would be nice to see races in other parts of the country.

jat123

Jun 19, 2000
My thought is that they just need to be better spread across the country. There isn't any nationals in the south! There are 3 on the west coast, a couple in the north central, and a whole bunch in the north east. I would love for there to be a national in Texas, but I would say that we need to demand that there is at least 1 national within 500 miles of every major population area in the US. If that was the case, they could have one in Georgia/Florida one in Texas/OK instead of 2 in NY, 2 in PA....

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
Common sense(HUH) would say the Texas has a major motocycle riding population especially motocross and off road and that there would be a national there...

jat123

Jun 19, 2000
Well, if you want to bring common sense into the discussion the south will never get a national! :)

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
Yep...oh, yeah, St. Louis SX drew 54000 people. Not too bad since the whole state of Missouri has less population than the metroplex(I lived in cedar Hill for 5 years and I rode Village creek the very first time it had an event)

cp380sx

Jan 12, 2001
I know the owner of Oak Hill MX that is located north of Ft. Worth. He has been working on obtaining a national for 2003.

jat123

Jun 19, 2000
I don't think Oak Hill has the parking. I think Whitney would stand a better chance with the mountain and they have plenty of parking space.

cp380sx

Jan 12, 2001
Oak Hill owns much of the property that surrounds the track outside the current fencing. They have plenty of room for parking for spectators as well as what would be required for the factory semis.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
I, too think TX makes sense for a national, but basically someone has to drop out to make room, the NPG won't add a national and who would want to give one up. I would like to see Whitney get one but Cooperland would be cool and it's closer, Hey maybe clear channel would want to organize their own national series and compete against the AMA? Nah sumthin like that would never happen :p

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
when i first got into mx, san antonio had a national. i believe the last year was '87. i wonder what happened to it? i've heard that whitney had a national back in the 70's (not the amateur national).

Stretch374

Apr 22, 2001
I know that the AMA is just the sanctiony body not the promoter but they are also suppose to help grow the sport. They need to step in and make something happen that will get a National in this area of the country.

I have no doubt that the NPG has allot of good people in it that love Motorcross but there own selfishness and greed may be holding back the sport. I'm not saying that I blame them if I was in there shoes I would want to give up a National race at my track , just that the sport as a whole would benefit by having a race in this part of the country.

Plan and simple holding a National in North Texas makes since for everybody involved except the one promoter at the track that loses it's national.

I've never been to a national (see the start of this thread) so I was wondering which National others thought would make the most since to cancel and move the date to North Texas.

Date Location
May 12 Glen Helen Raceway ParkSan Bernardino, Calif.
May 19 Hangtown Classic Sacramento, Calif.
May 26 High Point Raceway Mt. Morris, Penn.
June 9 Motocross 338Southwick, Mass.
June 16 Budds Creek MX ParkBudds Creek, Md.
July 7 Red Bud Track-N-Trail Buchanan, Mich.
July 14 Kenworthy's MX ParkTroy, Ohio
July 21 Unadilla Valley Sports CenterNew Berlin, N.Y.
July 28 Washougal MX Park Washougal, Wash.
Aug. 18 Spring Creek MX Park Millville, Minn.
Aug. 25 Broome-Tioga Sports Center Binghamton, N.Y.
Sept. 1 Steel City Raceway Delmont., Penn.

jat123

Jun 19, 2000
It would have to be one of the North East rounds I would think. All those tracks are pretty close to each other.

Here are some interesting facts, using Buds Creek as a base, according to Map Qwest:

to Delmont 278 miles
to Unadilla 401
to Highpoint 274
to Soutwick 404
to Binghampton 413

DelMonth to Mt. Morris is a whopping 84.8 miles, boy that last .8 must be killer!

One or two of those races, maybe more, need to be moved to the south, one in the south central and one in the south east!

DSsuper92

Mar 27, 2000
I would gladly give up Delmont for one of the Texas Supercrosses. I wouldn't count on it though. The Coombs family promotes both High Point and Steel City. I don't see them releasing that hold anytime soon.

jat123

Jun 19, 2000
I don't think we have to give up a Supercross when Anahiem has 3, take one of those, heck have 2, they also have the San Diego Round!

Badgas

Aug 8, 2001
There appears to be plenty of room between June 16 - Budds Creek and July 7 - Red Bud. Why not add a race to the schedule.

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
The AMA has to fight to keep the Nationals they have. Was not to long ago they lost Gainseville and added a SX race to the schedule. Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that someone has to give one up to put a race in a new venue. Who is gonna give up their race??? Bet nobody wants to. Should Texas have a national....Yes but don't count on it in the near future. :D

txvintage

Sponsoring Member
Apr 20, 2001
Swan has been called the best track in the country that doesn't host a National.

Whitney has a long history of Nationals and Trans Am racing from "back in the day"

Both tracks are regular hosts for factory and industry testing.

I would pay twice the admission price to watch Ricky try and ride over the edge at Whitney. The "Hill" has no equal.

I guess if you were looking to keep it in a Metropolitan area, Village Creek could be worked into a viable venue, but I doubt Mosier is on the radar screen.

Man, it's good to live in DFW. Within 2 hrs drive there is Oakhill, Whitney, Burleson, Badlands, Mosier, Swan, Village Creek, and untold miles of off-road areas and trails.

Best of all, we ain't got no stinkin' sticker laws!

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
Out of all of the tracks back east I like Troy the least. I would hate to see any of the other east coast tracks get dropped. I would like to see less SX's and more nationals but that will never happen. They used to have a national at the track I ride at, Thunder Valley in Denver and its such a crappy little place its funny to think of Ricky Johnson ridding it. It would be nice to have a race close.

SiCnTwIsTdYz

Apr 10, 2002
back when i was in long island and moved to this bhell hole now, our closest nastionals were unadilla,southwick and broome-tioga man i miss long island but i plan on going back to southwick this year or unadilla

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…