alphado

Uhhh...
Jun 6, 2001
Is it possible to over-oil an air filter? I just got a new Twin-Air filter kit with the oiling tub, cleaning tub,etc. I followed the instuctions and completely sumerged the filter in oil, squeezed it out and let it dry for about an hour. Ever since it seams that my bike breaks up at high RPM and back fires more often when you let off the gas. What do you think? By the way my bike is a 2001 Yamaha YZ426F.

B

biglou

I don't have any direct experience with this, but I have read of people getting filter oil "sucked" into the carb and at least partially clogging/gumming the pilot jet. The short answer is "Yes" you can over oil the filter. I try to go as light as I can and still get complete coverage. Not sure if I would ever totally submerge my filter for the big thumper in filter oil.

HOYDAJJ

Sep 11, 2000
After you oiled the filter, did you put it right in your bike and start it? Yamaha four strokes will suck the oil from a freshly-oiled filter into the carb and clog it :( This is what might have happened. I would try cleaning the carb. Also keep another oiled filter in a plastic bag so you can use when you need it. Hope this helps.

maicomotoman

Dec 16, 2001
Backfiring on deceleration says lean to me...maybe your filter is less restrictive with a proper oiling and is causing a lean condition. What jetting do you have in there? Stock? Leaner than stock? What does your plug look like?

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Instead of submerging,Try THIS,get a empty Dishwashing soap bottle of (DAWN,PALMOLIVE) clean it out and dry it,Then pour in your favorite filter oil,I prefer belray.Get a pair of disposable gloves,And put the amount oil you wan't on, then rub it in instead of drenching it.IT works great,The bottle of oil will last pretty long,I only use i would say about 2 ounces,To oil my filter, it is saturated,but i do not waste any by dunking it then squeezing the excess out back into the bottle.That seems like a pain.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Get another filter. Once you've dried one out, place it in a gallon size plastic bag and hang the bag up with a clothsepin. Next day the bag will have beau coup oil in the bottom. That is what your engine is gagging on.
Take the filter out and place it in a clean bag and you are ready for when your other filter gets dirty. Do this every time.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Same solution as big red except instead of buying gloves I stick my hands in those annoying plastic grocery bags you get by the dozen for free. After yeas of getting filter oil all over my hands, it really helps out.

mackay

Jan 7, 2002
Another Variation

Just another variation of Bigreds method...I use a large zip loc bag, I put in the airfilter and some oil and seal the bag. Then "squish" the filter around in the oil (just a bit) to evenly spread the oil around. And yes I have heard of bikes sucking excess oil from the filtre and running into the same kinds of trouble

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
To answer your question, Yes, You can over oil. Over-oiled dry filter could restrict air flow, Over-oiled wet (not yet dried, needs 24 hours) your big bore carb WILL suck the oil out of the filter.
People actually buy that "Twin-Air filter kit with the oiling tub, cleaning tub, etc." What did that set you back to have two buckets that say "Twin-Air"? Bout $25.00 + shipping?
I buy latex gloves 500 at a time from Sam’s for $7.00. I pour the filter oil from the bottle, slowly turning the filter, about 2 ounces like Bigred said and just work the oil in. Try to do this over last weeks Newspapers, that way I don't have to clean an expensive bucket. I also try to wait until both filters are in need of cleaning and then hang them in a bag to dry when I'm done.
Dave

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Everyone's method seems good. All I do take my can of PJ1 air-filter oil and give my filter a good spray trying to cover most of the filter. I then take my hands and squeeze the oil all over the filter so there is no puddles of oil lying on one spot of the filter. At the end I get a nice pink filter with it evenly covered. I get about 4 uses out of one can so I might try using Bel-Ray bottled oil.

Scott in KC

~SPONSOR~
Aug 28, 2000
That little pilot AIR jet, right at the back of the carb intake, is just begging for ANY little piece of ANYTHING to plug it up! And it doesn't take much.

Wild Hare

Aug 9, 2001
I like the Twin Air buckets. They are quick and easy, yes you pay for the convenience. I have several bikes to care for and I keep at least two filters for each. I've done the dribble it out of the bottle and squeeze and work it in method, it works but it takes time. With the bucket I dunk the filter, squeeze the excess back in the bucket and I have a perfectly oiled filter...no dry spots, no mess, no wasted oil. I also like the solvent bucket...dunk, squeeze, dunk, squeeze and put the lid back on.

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by Wild Hare
I like the Twin Air buckets. They are quick and easy, yes you pay for the convenience.

You sure did pay for it, I bought a plastic tub w/lid (same size as that Twin Air set up) at a dollar store. One dollar, that's it.

Anyone else think that some of the dirt bike stuff being made is just not needed? Oh well, I do have a Moose clock hanging in the garage, guess that wasn't needed either!

Matt

Top Bottom