Apr 1, 2007
How do i know when im over revving the engine? I own a CRF150F and drive it mostly in the higher revvs but i wonder how do i know when im revving it too high?

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
There's a point where revving it any higher is pointless. It all depends on the bike's powerband. You should feel the power band kick in once you start going... it feels a little different in every gear depending on your speed and motor RPM's.

Once you start getting to the top end of your power band (between 3/4th and WOT) it's kinda pointless to keep revving higher. The meat of your power is going to be in the mid to high-side of your powerband.

Cruising around between 1/2 and 3/4th throttle is perfect... but if you're racing, in a field, or on a wide open track... go ahead and revv it up a bit.

2 things... Clutch your shifts (you'll shred your transmission), and don't ever hold it at high RPM's when cold or in neutral... especially if it's a 2-stroke.

Dan

Last edited:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
DannyMoto07 said:
There's a point where revving it any higher is pointless. It all depends on the bike's powerband. You should feel the power band kick in once you start going... it feels a little different in every gear depending on your speed and motor RPM's.

Once you start getting to the top end of your power band (between 3/4th and WOT) it's kinda pointless to keep revving higher. The meat of your power is going to be in the mid to high-side of your powerband.

Cruising around between 1/2 and 3/4th throttle is perfect... but if you're racing, in a field, or on a wide open track... go ahead and revv it up a bit.

2 things... Clutch your shifts (you'll shred your transmission), and don't ever hold it at high RPM's when cold or in neutral... especially if it's a 2-stroke.

Dan

A CRF150F is a 4 stroke trail bike.. It's power characteristics aren't like a 2 stroke.. it has quite a bit wider powerband.. Not 3/4 to WOT...

Also, what data suggests that you have to clutch every shift or you will "shred your transmission"?

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
IndyYZ85 said:
A CRF150F is a 4 stroke trail bike.. It's power characteristics aren't like a 2 stroke.. it has quite a bit wider powerband.. Not 3/4 to WOT...

Also, what data suggests that you have to clutch every shift or you will "shred your transmission"?

Why wouldn't you clutch a shift??? (Aside from forgetting to?)

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
IndyYZ85 said:

I tend to like to wind out both of my bikes- at least thru the first three gears.... To be honest I like the feeling of acceleration the best.... Both of my bikes are 4 strokes... The enduro I'm sure can take it... Should I be being nicer to my ttr? (or both?)

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
olderndirtmom said:
Why wouldn't you clutch a shift??? (Aside from forgetting to?)

I only use the clutch when starting & stopping and to regulate the power to the wheel..

I don't use it to shift. I have learned how to shift my bike without the need for the clutch.. For me, it's a bit faster and one less thing I have to worry about when riding.

But.. this has been gone over very thoroughly in these forums many times.. Do a search and I am sure you will turn up plenty of info and opinions about the proper way to shift a bike.

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
IndyYZ85 said:
I only use the clutch when starting & stopping and to regulate the power to the wheel..

I don't use it to shift. I have learned how to shift my bike without the need for the clutch.. For me, it's a bit faster and one less thing I have to worry about when riding.

But.. this has been gone over very thoroughly in these forums many times.. Do a search and I am sure you will turn up plenty of info and opinions about the proper way to shift a bike.

Thanks. I'll look into it. Although... I'll say I'm relieved.

I've "inadvertently" not clutched at least a "few" times on the enduro... (I only ride it on the road at present, as I'm just learning.... ttr for dirt)....

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
In reference to the "shredding the transmission" I meant shifting with the power on... not backing off or clutching will kill the clutches.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
DannyMoto07 said:
In reference to the "shredding the transmission" I meant shifting with the power on... not backing off or clutching will kill the clutches.
That will do almost nothing to the clutch plates. Taking off from a stop in 5th gear will hurt the clutch plates much more. Shifting under power without the clutch (if the transmission will even let you shift like that) would be harder on the gears than anything else.

Apr 1, 2007
I like winding mine right out, but usually when i revv up high in 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th its only for a second or two, In fifth gear I hold it. Not forever though. I just keep the revvs high. I figure since its a fourstroke trail bike its not gonna do anything really. BTW I always use the clutch except for a few mistakes.

rigi144

Nov 13, 2006
DannyMoto07 said:

Dan

you wont "shred the transmission", first of all, you have to let off the throttle prettymuch completely on clutchless upshifts, and on down shifts, you have to blip the throttle t5o get the rpms up, otherwise ur gonna be damaging ur tranny., but if done right, ur transmission will last longer than the bike, alothough i find no reason to shift clutchless...just my .02$

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
I was refering to driving "normal" as far as just riding around easy, letting off, popping the next gear, and accelerating out without clutching. If you tried doing that ON the throttle or up on the power band without letting off at least a little or clutching... you're transmission is going to take a huge pounding.

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
Can not all dirt bikes be shifted sans-clutch? Ever one I've been on Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, will all shift without using the clutch.

I could even do this on my old Sportster 883, and my buddy's Honda CBR660.

What bike have you ridden that won't do that?

Dan

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom