Axehoot

Dec 15, 2000
When riding in the attack position, should I overgrip the throttle? If I don't, then my right arm/shoulder seem to drop when I gas it.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Yes, you should. I don't seem to have that much movement in my wrist, so I have to consciously overgrip every time I get to a corner if I want to twist the throttle and not my arm and body.

KiDX

Sponsoring Member
Mar 30, 2001
Yes, you should ride with an overgrip. It will give you full range of the throttle. If you don't ride with an overgrip, it's more difficult to open the throttle and move your body forward.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Instead of holding on the throttle with a straight grip (like you would a barbell), if you turn your wrist out slightly (like you're holding a screwdriver), you can twist without dropping your elbow.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Intresting topic

I was taught to over grip the throttle at school but I learned about gripping the grips like I was reaching for a door knob by a really fast rider. This has left me to wonder about lever positions however.

I used to have my levers slightly pointed downward so my fingers and wrist didn't have to bend as much in the attack position when reaching for the brake & clutch, in other words more parallel to my forearms. I have read that this is the preferred method in some articles but found it a contradiction if gripping the bars like a doorknob. When holding in this manor the levers should be higher but then the wrist is slightly bent sideways. I don't know which is the lessor of two evils. Tell me what you think.:confused:

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
either way

works but i would let your body kinda tell you. meaning. if your wrists are hurting like heck after a ride i would lesson the angle of grip on the bars. I think you give up strength for endurance with this grip. Plus in my mind and many may disaggree....... the wrist already bent some in the "door knob" grip, you loose some flexability movement there. This could possibly increase your chance of a sprain or worse. I realize many riders out there ride this way but i guess i am old school to a point. Not to mention 20 years ago if we seen a guy with his levers pointing to the sky we KNEW he was a new rider......now everyone does it. I generally keep my levers pointed downward so that they are easy to reach. I also in cornering try to keep my legs out from under the bars when possible, at least keep the knee joint behind the bar. and never ever lock your leg straight.

anyone coming to dirt week and goes to my schools will here me talk about alot of this.

Last edited:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Tell the truth, Wardy, we all know you position your levers so that they can hold a cheeseburger and fries while waiting at the starting line! :p

I keep mine angled down about 25 degrees. It seems if I put them any lower, then I lose any strength in my wrist because it is bent too much. Ike Dejagger told me to position them so that my wrist would be straight (and strong) during hard braking while still being able to use the clutch and brake. It turned out to be higher than I used to run them (I used to go about 45 degrees down).

The only time that I actually use the "screwdriver / doorknob" grip is in turns to keep from dropping my elbow too much. (Of course, that is absolutely no inidication of how it should be done!!)

Last edited:
Top Bottom