MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
Well I have being getting faster and am to the point were I can go faster than the track will let me. Is it ok to overjump small doubles and table tops to keep your speed up. Sure I could hit the break and hit it at the right speed but I could overjump it and be making better time. Any ideas? Thanks

------------------

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Let off the gas before the jump and keep it off. As you approach the lip, try to absord the "kick" with your knees and then adjust the attitude of the bike in the air accordingly. This is what all the top pros do to fly low and fast over jumps. I cannot do it. It is really hard to master, but it works when you can do it.

------------------
Aaron's web site

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
Hehehe, at 115 pounds I can't do that.Tried it once with all my weight in the back and endoed immediately. I just don't have the weight.

------------------

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
the weight does not make a difference. You are not preloading the suspension, you are doing the opposit, absorbing some o he upward forces. You keep centered and with very careful timing, absorb as much lift as possible with your knees. It should not make you fly funky if you are doing it right. Next time a supercross is on TV, tape it and watch the people jumping in slow motion. The top pros will fly lower because they utilize this technique very well. the only way I can control overjumping is to let off and try to absorb the lift.

------------------
Aaron's web site

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
Hehehe, Without the rear wheel spinning it does indeed make a VERY VERY large difference when your coming off a jump.

------------------

Feb 24, 2001
KawieKX125 pretty nice discription.
Moo I used to ride at this one track when the jumps were pretty small (well they got like that to me anyway). It seemed to work pretty good if you over jump it, but you have to make sure that where ur landing isn't really roughed up. Well thats my 2 cents.

------------------
Special Thanks To: Socal/Decal Works, Vortex, RK Chain, ScottUSA, Excel Rims, XXXMAIN.com.

http://dirtydirtbikers.com

Reeko

Aug 9, 1999
Moo,
My fast riding friend (former pro) jumps most jumps with no throttle because he has the speed built up allready. When I watch him, he is standing with his weight way back on the bike.

I can do this for smaller jumps, but am not comfortable jumping with no throttle.

By the way, no throttle does not mean that the rear tire is not spinning.

------------------
Reeko
(Now a Red Rider)
01CR250 (Me)
00XR100 (Wife)

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
It means its not moving that much at all and I endo everytime I do it even with my weight off the back of the seat!

------------------

Reeko

Aug 9, 1999
Moo,
Sounds like you are sitting the jump?
In that case, you must be on the throttle. However, sitting is a method to get more height and distance, the opposite of what you want.

If you are not sitting, than I don't know what the problem is. If you are, don't. You need to be standing, weight back to coast jumps.

------------------
Reeko
(Now a Red Rider)
01CR250 (Me)
00XR100 (Wife)

BullDog KX125

Mar 9, 2001
woohoo moo!
another super light rider!
only im a little less! =D

if i dont hit the down side of a jump i generally hurt my wrist. only i dont do stuff like doubles, only table tops, but its fun to start at the flat of the top, then go fast and just leave the other side, but as i said, i generally hurt my wrist =\

sand pits rool!

------------------
1995 KX 125
16 years old
email me at tyrant_187187@yahoo.com

BrentBlain

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
moo over jumping is probably not the answer, the fastest person on the track is the smoothest person. They don't look like the fasterest because they maybe not be on the pipe all the time but if you are smooth on the jumps and corners then you will be the fastest. So what i suggest is to find someone faster than you on the track and try to keep up with them and see they they are doing to be ahead of you. I don't know your track so over jumping might be faster but keep an eye out for a local pro and see what he does. You can probably make-up alot of time on the turns, the people at my track do not know how to turn (including me) but can do the jumps. My dad who was a local pro like 30 years ago can pass almost everyone one on a XR650 but doesn't like the jumps. But you can really tell when he passes you because you will be on the pipe and he will just float pass you in a higher gear.

-Brent

------------------
00 CR250
My webpage
last updated 02-25-01

kfrost

Apr 27, 2001
Moo,

I've been off a bike for a while but what KX125 has told you is pretty much right on. If you are trying to go fast, overjumping is definitely not the way to go. Only thing I have to add to what they mentioned is that you can change the "attitude" of the bike up the face of the jump. I probably won't do a good job of explaining but watch RC sometime. You'll see him constantly "crossing up" his bike over jumps to keep himself low and enabling him to get power back to the ground more quickly. If you haven't ever done it, definitely don't try it at high speed. Get on a small table top or something and practice doing some "cross ups". Then when you comfortable with getting the bike straigthened back out on the landings. Practice hitting the jump at the same speed but concentrate on using the technique to keep you bike lower.

Top Bottom