dubious

Nov 19, 2004
I have just finnished building a first gen cr500af.
I need to get an oversize fuel tank, and was wondering which fit the 500af best? Clarke or IMS
IMS makes the largest -3.7 gallons for the 1st gen 250's, but will it fit with the 500 engine in my bike.
Moderate mods with a heat gun are fine , I had to mod the stock tank, but does the IMS carry the fuel right above the cyl. head on the 250, cause my engine is about 2-3" taller.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I live in Canada and I need some solid info before I make the purchase.
Thankyou!!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Not sure if it will help, but check my gallery and the 'garage' tab above for some low resolution pics of my '99 250 with a 3.2 gallon Clarke tank.

The Clarke works great for me, but there is not a whole lot of clearance between the 250 motor and the bottom of the tank. The pet*c*o*c*k is low and also sits pretty close to the left side of the 250 motor. Plug access with the Clarke is a little tricky on the 250.

IMO, I dont' think the 3.2 Clarke allows enough room to accomodate a CR500 engine, but I would be glad to take some measurements if you would like.

dubious

Nov 19, 2004
Thanks for the offer dave! :cool:
Some guys have been using the clarke 3.2 gallon and with some mods they fit over the 500 OK.

I have heard that some people like the clarke better than the IMS for their 250's due to construction and fit.

Unfortunatly I'm looking for something in the 4 gallon range and the 3.7 IMS is as close as it gets :bang:

Any body have a 3.7 IMS on their '97-99 250 or 500af
Please give me your advice or thoughts!! :think:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
dubious,
I have seen a 3.7 IMS on a '97 CR250 and it did look like it had much of its extra capacity up high compared to the 3.2 Clarke. If I remember correctly, the IMS 3.7 was more rounded, with a taller hump shape under the fuel cap.

I've heard good and bad of both brands over the years; so hard to say which is better though Clarke is usually less expensive.

Britt Boyette

Aug 16, 2004
Clarke's is less expensive and because everything is made in house, you can get it within a week dirrect from Clarke. They also back it up with outstanding customer support, should you need it.

jrg

Nov 25, 2001
i have a ims 3.7 on my 01 cr250, and its a job to get the plug out, the extra capacity is held high on the tank, the fit is good, but if the 500 is taller, i dont see it working unless you heat it up and sink in the bottom of tank

Top Bottom