Oversized gas tank for 00' 220

magilla

Oct 14, 2003
I'm really enjoying my KDX220 but I'd like to find an oversized gas tank so I can stay out longer and not worry about running out of fuel. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Not sure if you have set up your jetting, but I noticed a big increase in fuel economy when I went to a smaller pilot jet. Other options for more fuel capacity is to fill your tank with hot water and pressurize it. It will expand a few tenths of a gallon, not quite a half gallon. Still yet, I have heard of someone using an enduro jug designed to clamp to the cross brace of the bars for another half gallon. With all three, you should be able to get another 30 miles or so between you and your truck. Good Luck!

magilla

Oct 14, 2003
Interesting suggestion on pressurizing the tank.
I have not started playing with the jetting just yet. Last weekend was my first ride with the bike and it seemed to run well.
I'm really looking for suggestions for aftermarket tanks. I belive IMS makes one for the KDX220 (the site is down at the moment so I cannot check).
Just wondering if anyone has experience with this or any other oversize aftermarket tanks.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Keep in mind that in order to ride the KDX correctly, getting forward on the tank is required. If the aftermarket tank is taller or extends lower, then no problem. But....if the tank is wider, then you might find it difficult to get as far forward as you would like to be when attacking corners or on hill climbs. Let us know what you find out there in the aftermarket world and send along some photos too.

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
My KDX will go 120 miles on a tank in relatively smooth trail riding and about
75 in hard "on the gas-off the gas" technical riding. The big difference came from proper jetting. I almost doubled my milage after jetting.

Just a thought in case that might be a solution-
JCW

magilla

Oct 14, 2003
I never did run out of gas but it was always on my mind. This is my first 2-stroke (always had Honda thumpers) and it seemed to run well but perhaps it could use some jetting help. I had to work to stay in the powerband on hillclimbs, feathering the clutch. Being used to thumpers I just figured that was a 2-stroke characteristic. I can still keep up with all my fast riding buddies in the woods and out on the fire roads it's got some serious legs!
The only thing on the bike that does not work is the odometer, and not knowing what to expect I was nervous about milage all day. I'll give a few more rides before shelling out the coin for a larger tank.

Michael
00' KDX220R
Gnarly pipe, turbine core 2 silencer

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Clarke makes an oversized fuel tank for the KDX200/220. It's only several tenths of a gallon larger than the stocker, but it IS oversized. :nod:

ExeterXCSP

Oct 29, 2005
I purchased a Clarke tank from rockymountainmc.com in the spring and used it all this season. It fit well, looks good, and has gotten me back to my truck a few times when otherwise I would have been walking. Rocky had the best price that I could find at the time.

kdxcookie

Aug 14, 2008
magilla,

I have the same issues as you. I have a 1997 XR 400 and a 2000 KDX 220. I can get exactly twice as many miles per gallon on my XR. The KDX will go 60-75 miles per tank in my experience. The Clarke Tank is 3 liters bigger then stock. The IMS is only 2 liters bigger (4 liters = 1 gallon). You can also get a tank the mounts in place of your headlight, the larger one holds 3 liters. So now you have 6 liters more with bothof these. I have also carried a 2 liter Coke bottle of gas in my fanny pack, so then you could have 8 liters more. If you could also find one of those handlebar mounted jugs that would get you another 2 liters and you would be up to 10 liters more, almost double the stock tanks capacity.

skipro3,

do you know where to buy those hadlebar mounted jugs. I have looked everywhere and can't find them!

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Cookie was closer to being right than I was: while the stock tank is 2.9 gallons, the Clarke oversized tank (they also make one in stock capacity) is 3.6gal, nearly 3/4 of a gallon more.

Top Bottom