oversized tank

Ryno149

Jun 23, 2002
Has anyone heard anything about the new IMS oversized tank for the KX 85/100? IMS's site is down right now. One of my racing buddies just got one for his KX100 and I'm REALLY jealous. any help would be appreciated.
Thanx

Red Rider 53

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2003
Is there an oversized gas tank for a CR80? If there isn't would it be wise to use a universal gas tank?

Ryno149

Jun 23, 2002
Thanks alot Racer #213, but I think the site is www.rockymountainmc.com
Now I just have to decide how to get the $200.00 for it.

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
ye i know. that's why i'm getting an enduro jug :). 2 quart bottle that mounts to your handle bars. That's just about as much, plus easier to remove for a track ride. Sorry my bad on the url. that's what i meant though.

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
Ryno, did your bike go kaput again at Columbia, or did you run out of gas? You are fast enough for 3 laps so you may be better off with the big tank. It would help with winning the junior championship!

Ryno149

Jun 23, 2002
Kevin,
I seized it, once again!!! We're pretty sure we won't have to replace the cylinder again. I ripped the side of my radiator apart, but there was still antifreeze in the radiator, so that wasn't the problem. I did order a new radiator and top end kit, and just got it in. My dad and I are really confused as to what could be causing the repeat seizes. The next thing we're going to check is the water pump. Do you have any ideas as to what might be causing this?
Also, I'm hoping to be gettin' that third lap and chasing the season championship, just so long as I can get my top end problem fixed, so do you think the oversized tank would be a good idea. Now that I'm working with Kyle, the money won't be too big of a problem.

Ryno149

Jun 23, 2002
Kevin, I'm trying to get a hold of Tyler to go riding bicycles at Little Blue. We've got to be in shape for the race at Bixby, now don't we. Speaking of Bixby, will you be there?

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
I talked to IMS today about their oversized tank for my wifes '00 kx100.  They told me that the new tank that they have fits the kx80/85/100 from 92 - 03'.  The same tank also fits several other bikes.  Seems that they have tried to commonize it to reduce their number of offerings.  I'm not totally clear how the tank shrouds mount - but it sounded like you could mount either one or two shrouds??  I plan to call them back tomorrow to clear this up.  Their price is $225 including shipping.  I tried to talk them down in price but they would not go lower.  I saw an ad for Golden West Cycle advertising IMS tanks for $179.  When i called them they said that they KX80/100 tank would be $189 (price went up).

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
I been too busy to check this page out...yeah, I am going to Bixby, will be home Friday. You will probably need to big tank if you decide to ride that bike all season and chase the championship. i am sure we can make a deal at the end of the season as TJ will be riding a 100 next year!
I will talk to you about your bike later this week or this weekend.

LocoCD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 22, 2000
We have the IMS tank on a 2002 KX 100. The fit is pretty good, some rubbing on the triple clamp that needed filing. You can update the older bikes to the new 2 shroud look, the parts are in the kit, but you need to order new shrounds.

95% of the time a bigger tank is not necessary. Hare scrambles and even family enduros are within the original tank's distance if jetted properly. We only fill the IMS tank to 2/3 for most races.

It is a real benefit for longer trail rides and desert riding.

Ryno149

Jun 23, 2002
Thank you guys for all your responses. I've decided to get the tank, because I just ran out of gas at my race today. The real bad part is I was running first when it happened only 500 yards from the finish.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…