Kevin31

Aug 4, 2001
I just returned from my local KTM dealer, I was am looking for the most MX-able dual-sport available. I was not impressed by the gigantic size of the 640 LC4. The parts manager mentioned that with a $400 turn signal kit the 520 EXC could be made street legal. He said they would even put an inspection sticker on it. We did not discuss DOT tires and mirrors but I realize they are required. I work as a gas well tender and this bike seems like it would be perfect for work and play. I have a few questions. 1. Will the 520 withstand 100-200 miles a week with proper care? 2. Could a simple revalve of the suspension make it MX worthy? 3. Motor-wise, what are the differences between the 520 SX and the 520 EXC. This will be my first KTM, any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Kevin.

ripin520

Jan 15, 2001
1. Will the 520 withstand 100-200 miles a week with proper care?
I don't see why not, and will most likely withstand it better than any other bike you could purchase change the oil and check the valve clearance and you should be good to go.
2. Could a simple revalve of the suspension make it MX worthy?
You may want to think about heavier springs as well depending on your
weight and the type of MXing you would be doing. 02 SX come through with 50mm forks.

3. Motor-wise, what are the differences between the 520 SX and the 520 EXC. Nothing the EXC and SX motor are identical with the exception of electric start and lighting coil on the EXC. Jetting in carb is a bit different due to different exhausts, and the SX last I knew only had a 4 spd tranny.

Good luck

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom