deak-man

Oct 9, 2002
I'm making a trip to Pismo in a few weeks and I'm looking to buy some paddle tires. I have a CR250 and was mainly looking at the Skat-Trak hooker or viper or the Cheng Shin Sand Pro. Skat-Trak's cost about $20 more. Has anybody had any experiences with either of them. I would like something that hooks up good and will last for a while?
Thanks!!!

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
I've got a cheng Shin "dune hopper" and it hasn't failed me yet, it hooked up well, and is a six paddle tire, for more hookupage look into the 8 paddles although this may increase the chances for overheating since the bike swinging more paddles through the sand.
Jeff

Dragmeistr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 14, 2002
Definately use an 8 paddle, as far as hooking up I think your best bet is going to be the scat-trak. I have good luck with the King's turbo paddle as well. The Scat is much lighter and you will get better wheel spin. I have rode in the dunes only and I am sure the sand at pismo is probably less soft, but my money is with the Scat.

deak-man

Oct 9, 2002
Thanks for your help. I ended up going with an 8 paddle King's Turbo Paddle. It looks pretty durable and like it will hook up pretty good. I'm going down to Pismo this weekend so I didn't have enough time to order a Skat-Trak. Although, I think I'll do fine with the King's. Thanks for your help! Now all I need is some advice on how to ride in the sand ;-)

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
Stay on the gas....always on the gas even when you are making a turn, or else the front tire sinks in and you lose control pretty easily.

02'Cr Rider

~SPONSOR~
Nov 20, 2001
Good choice on the 8 paddle tire.Take some wd-40 with you to spray your bike down so it dont get rusty.Make sure your filter is clean and has lots of oil.Go one main jet bigger,because your always wide open.As for riding, stay on the gas and balance plays a big roll.Please check out the dunes first by cruising around.Dont go crazy at first, because theirs lots of drop offs that can end your trip quickly.I live 20 minutes away from ocean dunes and go their often,seen alot of visitors leave broken or dead!!!!!!!
One more thing to remember is, what ever vehicle you take out to the dunes and your out on the beach,let some air out of the tires to about 10 psi.You can go about anywhere in the dunes.Have fun!!!!!!!!

:thumb:

deak-man

Oct 9, 2002
Thanks for the replies. I've been spending quite a bit of time on the bike lately trying to get it prepped. I think I will go with the larger main jet. Do I need to go with a much larger one (like 5 up) or just one or two up? Also, please tell me more about the WD-40 trick. Do it before or after?

Thanks for the riding tips also. Looks like I'll be staying on the gas. I've heard that corners are pretty tricky at first as you really have to keep the speed up and fan the rear tire. It should be fun. I'll be careful with those drops, I agree it's a good idea to ride around an area first to check it out then start playing. Thanks!

02'Cr Rider

~SPONSOR~
Nov 20, 2001
Just go up one or two sizes on the main.WD-40 the pipe after every ride and if sitting for long period of time.Also keep the chain lubed.When your done riding from the beach wash your bike and vehicle right away to keep it from rusting.The WD-40 keeps it from rusting from the salt air.

2000SE

May 7, 2002
Also ....clean the crap out of your airbox when you finish riding. You'll be suprised how sand gets in there. Your airfilter will be covered with it. I agree with the Main Jet setting, you will be riding the gas like crazy. And you may also want to adjust the rebound to moderate the studder bumps that will always be present when racing in sand..

deak-man

Oct 9, 2002
Thanks for the clarification 02'Cr Rider.

I just spent a about five hours cleaning my carb. The guy I had bought it from had let it sit for a few years so some of the air openings became gummed up which made it run really rich and have a lot of black goo coming out the back. Now it runs fine except I think I will raise the main up a little bit for the dunes. Just cleaned the airfilter too.

That's a good idea about adjusting the suspension. Mine's real soft right now, I think I firm it up and adjust the rebound like you said. Anything else I should know before going out there? Thanks!

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
have you mounted the tire yet? lots of times there is interference between the tire and the front of the swingarm. i always use an old long chain. the rear shock mud flap is a canidate for paddle abuse too. i always take mine off and install a spring shock wrap(atv item) to keep sand from ravaging the shock. dude, be very careful of slipfaces. remember what was there today will be different tomorrow. the dunes we ride by the end of the day are chewed up with tracks but by the next day, the wind erases these tracks and even moves dunes overnight. note about flags.......... im not very tall so i have to throw my leg over the seat. i cannot step thru very well. i kept breaking flags when they were mounted on the back. finally, i got smart and got me a shakespeare ugly stick fishing rod (7ft $29@walmart) that is unbreakable and mounted it to my front forks. it works great. tip to park your bike on the dunes...........dig your rear tire in 12inches and tada! your bike will stand up on its own.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I just got home from my first trip to the dunes today. Little Sahara, OK. I used an 8 paddle Chen Shin and it was awesome, the best traction I have ever had anywhere. I went up one on my main jet (155 to a 158) and moved my needle to the middle clip, it had been one leaner. Bike ran great. Lots of good advice up above. The dunes all looked the same to me when I first got there and you can bet if you are headed up one that is rounded the other side will be a straight drop. As far as the flag goes I mounted a piece of metal that I clamped onto the silencer with two big hose clamps and drilled a hole through it to mount the flag on. This worked great for me and allowed me to charge through the sand whoops without it whipping around. Take plenty of gas. You won't believe how fast you go through it. Have a blast.

stapletonjt

Oct 1, 2002
I just got back from Glamis (Imperial Dunes, Ca) and it's been way too long since I visited that place. I bought a King's
tire paddle, took off my mud flap, put outerwear skins over my shock, and went from a 420 main to a 440 on my '03 CR250... flawless victory! I even raced a cr500 and a kx 500 up Olds hill and ended in a dead heat. The bike ran amazing. Nobody believed it was stock. I'm even thinking about going back this weekend.

Dragmeistr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 14, 2002
I am taking my 03 CR250 this weekend. Is your bike bone stock? I have the Fatty and the V-Force in mine but supposedly the jetting for these two things should be the same as stock. Are you running 32-1? Make any sprocket changes at all?

stapletonjt

Oct 1, 2002
My bike is bone stock except for some small tuning dents in the stock pipe, hehe. I run 32:1 castor bean. I'm thinking of going up a tooth on the rear sprocket but haven't yet. How did the fatty and V-Force help? Did you do both at the same time or ride between changes?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom